Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Banquet for Fools - party-based RTwP in Serpent of the Staglands setting - coming to Early Access on September 30th

buffalo bill

Arcane
This is Banquet for fools:
74f6a7f1aa1287957ff3e7d300e2db93ac12_1920xt1080_S1000.jpg

Imo looks like a low rent Baldur's Gate with more cartoony character models. Mainly my issue is that the atmosphere this evokes is a generic fantasy game like I've seen 1000 times before.

Here's SitS:
12564.png

Has a unique and non-generic atmosphere and nothing is cartoony. Way better imo.

Also, here's Mechajammer to remind you that THAT is what they settled on for the art style after tons of art direction changes.

ss_9d8de7716f435ac1b6a28d6e8e0e54ee5f7dac4f.600x338.jpg

Lyre Mors

Arcane
looks like a low rent Baldur's Gate with more cartoony character models. Mainly my issue is that the atmosphere this evokes is a generic fantasy game like I've seen 1000 times before.
If that's really what you see, I don't know what to tell you man. There is literally no game out there that looks quite like how this looks, particularly in motion. I agree that I loved the look of Serpent, but calling this "low rent Baldur's Gate except cartoony" shows an aesthetic blind spot on your part, or an overwhelming bias towards the first game's style. I hope they stick strongly to this style and simply refine it through EA.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm okay with the art style but they removed the most humanoid race of SiTS and replaced it with a goddamn green gorilla. :argh:

GentlemanCthulhu

Liturgist
This is Banquet for fools:
74f6a7f1aa1287957ff3e7d300e2db93ac12_1920xt1080_S1000.jpg

Imo looks like a low rent Baldur's Gate with more cartoony character models. Mainly my issue is that the atmosphere this evokes is a generic fantasy game like I've seen 1000 times before.

Here's SitS:
12564.png

Has a unique and non-generic atmosphere and nothing is cartoony. Way better imo.

Also, here's Mechajammer to remind you that THAT is what they settled on for the art style after tons of art direction changes.

ss_9d8de7716f435ac1b6a28d6e8e0e54ee5f7dac4f.600x338.jpg
To me, these Stagland and Banquet screenshots evoke almost exactly the same atmosphere. Personally, I prefer the new art style, but I admit that the color palette is reminiscent of PoE, so in that sense a bit generic.

However, by far the biggest thing that needs to be vastly improved here is the gameplay. Stagland had atrocious gameplay.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Art style is ok, not that I'm crazy about it, but I prefer it over something like this for example.

ss-73ff218cb0c78c25d5e20d369413561ef2bdc893-1920x1080.jpg

I agree with Humanophage in this one, the more zoomed-out levels they add, the more beautiful it will look, this claymationy style can often be good but also can produce
rating_prosper.png
faces.

In a weird way it reminds me of the dream machine game
ss-6e402cd8ee03e67abcc18249ff928070878f1bd5-1920x1080.jpg
ss-ee9c82b700d9864d513a2d788185184acc97f073-1920x1080.jpg
the-dream-machine-2017-07-27-00-40-09-983-e1501226718152.webp

The-Dream-Machine2.jpg
:prosper:

As for the combat I have to say, Staglands is the first game that put me to sleep with its RTwP combat, which is quite an achievement.
Since they chose real time again, it fucking needs to be faster and fun this time, the point of real time is to give you some thrills not to put you to sleep, we have turn-based for that :troll:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Demo has received a few updates. Looks like the game will be in a higher resolution than the 1024x768 - the latest version runs in 1080p at least (although it bugs out if you change a graphics setting back to the 1024x768).

They've added the ability to change party members while paused in the combat dome (action select state) and combat flows better now.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Demo has received a few updates. Looks like the game will be in a higher resolution than the 1024x768 - the latest version runs in 1080p at least (although it bugs out if you change a graphics setting back to the 1024x768).

They've added the ability to change party members while paused in the combat dome (action select state) and combat flows better now.
Since you are supposed to click for each attack what do other companions do while you control one character?
I do not see a point in such combat if you also have companions unless they are going to be like in Mass Effect where they do almost nothing.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The AI controls them. Currently I would say the worst thing about it is switching companions during combat. It is better now that you can switch in the combat dome, way less disorienting. The problem is, say you initiate combat and move a little bit with the currently selected character and want to change, chances are the AI has already issued the first action for the companions, so when you change party members, you need to change back to the previously selected character to be able to issue an action 'this turn', or just suck it up and wait for the next one. The AI will control the previously selected character but it feels like a waste of the player's time a little bit.

The new update does play nicer than the original though, combat as it is, feels a bit better.

I've provided that feedback on the Steam forums, so we'll see what they say about it.

GentlemanCthulhu

Liturgist
Is this yet another case of the devs not being able to get the fundamentals right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom