Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Based Ernie Gygax talks nuTSR

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Full transcript: https://web.archive.org/web/2021062...tc-beefs-trademarks-licensees-5e-more.680877/

Here are the fun bits:

Why A New TSR?

TSR has been gone. There's a ton of artists and game designers and people that play..... and recently they were dissed for being old-fashioned, possibly anti modern trends, and enforcing, or even having the concepts of gender identity (laughs).

All I'm trying to do is fill in the stripmine, allow this old fertile soil to produce more games and products again. We're not gonna be able to get back the diamond that was Dungeons & Dragons. We'll be able to make things that might have chips of diamond material... we're never gonna see that great D&D diamond again, I don't think.

On Gail Gygax, Wills, & Courts

We are in court right now with Gail Gygax, my father's last wife, who he impressed upon me, this is my wife, this was his last years, if you're going to deal with me, you're going to be dealing with my wife here. So 'OK father, understood'. And he said 'it doesn't matter what you think, because this is my wife'. That is important!

But he then did a will. The will was not put forth because the assumption was that there was not $50,000 in 19... or 2008, I should say, dollars worth of value in his estate. And right now though without that Gail had complete control of all the IPs and product, and she had pulled them all from the market hoping to sell them as one gigantic package to a large conglomerate, be it Pepsi or a studio or whatever.

How many original TSR people are part of this new TSR?

Well, it's an ever expanding list as we go along. A lot of it are let's say it's involved in projects, so it's not like you're hired on a wage situation, it would be more like royalties, or potentially a job or an occupation. Sometime, though I doubt it will happen because my friend [couldn't make out words] I would love to have him as something to do with our shipping department. He was the longest lasting TSR employee ever, and he was a good buddy, he bought me beer when I was underage.

We have Larry Elmore, really instructed in Star Frontiers... and he is ready to maybe actually be a [one?] project art director.

Still, whether nuTSR can put out an actual product is another thing altogether.

Bara

Arcane
Holy shit the comments in that post. I can see why you web archived the article over linking to it straight.

They're really desperate to call the company and the game a failure from the get go over the opinions of one guy damn whatever other opinions the other creators may have.

Like they haven't even looked up any info on Giantlands before saying that it's to cater to the "racist" all because of that first quote.

When a quick bloody google search I was able to find the character sheets for the game and they don't even use the term race but instead species. Though apparently the character sheets got taken down recently so you can't see that anymore.

People on that website seem completely unable to just let a product release and judge it on its own merits and instead have to focus on the character of the creator. Then they devolve into talking about the origins of the world race or use it for a launch point on how the older editions have built in racism and its good that racial modifiers are gone.

Like I'm surprised I find more tolerance on reddit for the older style mechanics of prior editions and see a lot of people still pushing for it to remain at least a optional rule for 5e over there.

EN world really is giving rpg.net vibes I got to say.

-------

Anyhow to practice what I preach after that tirade looking at the giant lands looks like its going to be a d100 system? Like vision has a state of 59, smell 87, and mind 82 and I'm not seeing any pluses or minuses for certain state thresholds so guessing it's a role under system? If so stats seem a little high for a level 3 character unless I'm missing something.

Main stats are Spirit, Mind, Toughness, Urgency, Luck, and Endurance.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Gail is a cunt, she forced Troll Lord Games to quit publishing any material that was created by Gary Gygax.
Troll Lord Games was the publisher Gary worked with in the last years of his life and most of his late-life work was published through them.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Interesting interview. I look forward to seeing what if anything this new TSR is capable of putting out. The comments are a typical trashfire of people having kneejerk reactions and being overly prone to histrionics.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
People on that website seem completely unable to just let a product release and judge it on its own merits and instead have to focus on the character of the creator. Then they devolve into talking about the origins of the world race or use it for a launch point on how the older editions have built in racism and its good that racial modifiers are gone.

They are completely incapable of separating art from the artist.

They are the same type of people you saw on Reddit last year who were saying they couldn't play PST anymore (cos of the MCA accusations), despite claiming it was one of their favourite games previously.

Pretty epically based. I'd buy a nu-TSR product over anything that WotC or Paizo releases in a heart beat. A based D&D would be an absolute dream.

Holy shit the comments in that post. I can see why you web archived the article over linking to it straight.
They're really desperate to call the company and the game a failure from the get go over the opinions of one guy damn whatever other opinions the other creators may have.
That intensive outrage, simply because Ernie said that nu-TSR won't worship trannies and such. xD

Codex Year of the Donut
JarlFrank
Screen-Shot-2021-06-24-at-07-04-54.png

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Ah yes, because some sagas had characters assuming atypical roles for their gender, it means viking society was genderfluid. Fuck off.

Sagas = stories about extraordinary people doing extraordinary things, sometimes based on fact but often mixed with myth. The old Norsemen also had a sense of humor so gender bending was used as comedy, much like it was done in Shakespeare's time or even in modern comedies. Like that tale where the giants want to wed Freya, but the Aesir dress up Thor as a woman instead so he can sneak in undetected and then slay all the giants at the great reveal. What a riot! Obviously played for laughs, as a good yarn, rather than as a statement of "The god Thor is genderfluid".

Trickery was a widely accepted strategy in Norse society. If you wanna get something or off someone but can't do it directly, disguises and other tricky methods were totally fair game.

There's also a big difference between "a thing existed" and "a thing was widely spread and accepted." Yes, men who practiced feminine types of magic existed, and they weren't instantly tossed in the bog for being fags, but they were generally seen as weirdos and your average person would have felt uneasy around them. However, if you tell a normal person in his face that he's a practitioner of feminine magic, he has the right to stab you right then and there because you gravely insulted him.

It is the same with ancient mediterranean cultures like Romans and Greeks. No, the Romans didn't crucify you for being a fag. But they'd fucking ridicule you because the one thing a Roman man should have is virtus, and virtus refers to manly virtues of strength, integrity, willpower etc. A fag doesn't have virtus, therefore he is a lesser man.

Of course, you were allowed to be a lesser man. But that also meant you weren't able to assume societal roles normal men were allowed to (and expected to) perform. Wanna go through an ambitious senatorial career in Rome? If you're a fag, you won't stand a chance. Wanna be a badass viking leading a troop of men to foreign shores? Nobody is gonna join a weirdo who practices woman magic. People will have a sense of respect for a man who's good at that kind of magic, due to his power and occasional usefulness, but he won't ever be a normal part of society. People won't have the same kinds of relationships with him that they have with your average Ragnar from the neighborhood. If you choose a role like that, you will be an outsider.

People like these always like to pick singular examples from literature and history and then claim that this was some kind of norm. No, it wasn't.
Let's compare it with the ancient mediterranean again. Yes, there were some female rulers who led their own armies from the front. Actual badass warrior queens, both among barbarian cultures like the Celts, as well as Hellenistic cultures. But was it the norm? No. Just because a couple of queens went to battle doesn't mean there were scores of female soldiers in a Macedonian phalanx. Whenever you find a woman on an ancient battlefield, chances are that she's the only woman on that battlefield. Or even the only woman in that entire fucking years-long war. Because it was not the norm, but the exception.

Now, what that means for an RPG is: the players should be able to assume such roles, because player characters are always exceptional people, not average people. Otherwise the players would roll a party of local peasants making daily field tilling skill checks, instead of brave adventurers descending into deep dungeons. But it also means that NPCs should react appropriately to such player characters. A player party of vikings where one character is a male seidr-wizard who likes to wear skirts, and another is a tough sword-wielding women with a scarred face? Yeah, these people are weird. They're gonna be treated with curiosity at best, and with hostility at worst. Be prepared for the local kids to point at your characters and say "Look mommy! Look how weird these people are!", and the local tavernkeep hoping that you won't stay very long because he really likes having more normal people as his customers, they cause less trouble.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Addendum: just because a Norseman decides to perform magic usually associated with the feminine, doesn't mean he's a fucking tranny.

It just means he wants to perform that kind of magic for whatever reason. It doesn't mean he wants to cut his dick off or get fucked in the ass.

Whimper

Educated
I've often thought that people come up with weird avant-garde opinions about gender and all that nonsense in interviews just to cause outrage which sells products since people actually hear about it. (Either that or Americans all hold outre opinions about how men must be effeminate and women should have no moral character whatsoever). Could it be that Gygax's son is stirring the pot to get everyone talking about their project? The tactic works both ways after all.

Mortmal

Arcane
It certainly works, without the drama and the outrage none speak about it . Already like the guy, but will he delivers anything, thats a tough question.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Before you get too excited about Erie Jr. and his new endeavor it's probably worth looking at the Marmoreal Tomb kickstarter debacle. 5 years late, plenty of bullshit excuses and obfuscation from EGG Jr. and if it weren't for Troll Lord games (the Castles & Crusades guys) it'd be pure vaporware.

If they have something written and ready to publish, but just need some crowd-funding money for art and whatever that's one thing, but if it's anything else, caveat emptor.

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Yeah that's my concern too. The guy's political stance sense for normalcy is one thing, but his ability to deliver is another.

catfood

AGAIN
Not to mention that kikestarter might not want to allow his product on their platform now that word has come out that he doesn't want to bow to the alphabet mafia.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Before you get too excited about Erie Jr. and his new endeavor it's probably worth looking at the Marmoreal Tomb kickstarter debacle. 5 years late, plenty of bullshit ecxcuses and obfuscation from EGG Jr. and if it weren't for Troll Lord games (the Castles & Crusades guys) it'd be pure vaporware.

If they have something written and ready to publish, but just need some crowd-funding money for art and whatever that's one thing, but if it's anything else, caveat emptor.
Yeah! I pledged to that campaign in July 2015, almost six years ago. An incomplete PDF has been released, but the printed edition is still a promise. ("Any time now", of course). Ernie is putting the blame on his partner, but that's just weaselling out of a commitment after mismanaging funds and delivering nothing. I would not pay a dollar until his next project was done and ready to ship. And perhaps I'd still wait just a little more.

So far, everything they are hyping looks half-baked. No... not half-baked. It looks like there is a pile of flour, some salt, and sourdough scattered willy-nilly on a wooden surface, while the baker is off snoozing in the bakery's back room. Jim Ward is the only one of that team who has consistently delivered things over the last decade. I do not even like his stuff - but Jim is reliable, and these guys are obvious slackers who have only a dim idea of running and fulfilling a Kickstarter campaign. This does make them out of touch.

As for the social media tempest, yes, it is more "love and understanding" from the inkloosive crowd. But right now, there are better people releasing TSR-inspired products, from Gunderholfen to The Heroic Legendarium. That is where my money shall go.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Before you get too excited about Erie Jr. and his new endeavor it's probably worth looking at the Marmoreal Tomb kickstarter debacle. 5 years late, plenty of bullshit ecxcuses and obfuscation from EGG Jr. and if it weren't for Troll Lord games (the Castles & Crusades guys) it'd be pure vaporware.

Yeah! I pledged to that campaign in July 2015, almost six years ago. An incomplete PDF has been released, but the printed edition is still a promise. ("Any time now", of course). Ernie is putting the blame on his partner, but that's just weaselling out of a commitment after mismanaging funds and delivering nothing. I would not pay a dollar until his next project was done and ready to ship. And perhaps I'd still wait just a little more.

So far, everything they are hyping looks half-baked. No... not half-baked. It looks like there is a pile of flour, some salt, and sourdough scattered willy-nilly on a wooden surface, while the baker is off snoozing in the bakery's back room. Jim Ward is the only one of that team who has consistently delivered things over the last decade. I do not even like his stuff - but Jim is reliable, and these guys are obvious slackers who have only a dim idea of running and fulfilling a Kickstarter campaign. This does make them out of touch.

As for the social media tempest, yes, it is more "love and understanding" from the inkloosive crowd. But right now, there are better people releasing TSR-inspired products, from Gunderholfen to The Heroic Legendarium. That is where my money shall go.
Not putting money in Helveczia? I heard it's pretty good.

Norfleet

Now, what that means for an RPG is: the players should be able to assume such roles, because player characters are always exceptional people, not average people. Otherwise the players would roll a party of local peasants making daily field tilling skill checks, instead of brave adventurers descending into deep dungeons. But it also means that NPCs should react appropriately to such player characters. A player party of vikings where one character is a male seidr-wizard who likes to wear skirts, and another is a tough sword-wielding women with a scarred face? Yeah, these people are weird. They're gonna be treated with curiosity at best, and with hostility at worst. Be prepared for the local kids to point at your characters and say "Look mommy! Look how weird these people are!", and the local tavernkeep hoping that you won't stay very long because he really likes having more normal people as his customers, they cause less trouble.
Yes, this is basically the position I've always taken when people argue this subject. I mean, consider the typical RPG party. You've got the dwarf, the acrobat, the fire-thrower, the strongman, the lion tamer, and a guy who thinks God talks to him. This isn't a group of socially normal people. This is a travelling circus. A travelling circus of mentally ill, homeless psychopaths. They aren't normal, just from the very surface.

Whimper

Educated
Yes, this is basically the position I've always taken when people argue this subject. I mean, consider the typical RPG party. You've got the dwarf, the acrobat, the fire-thrower, the strongman, the lion tamer, and a guy who thinks God talks to him. This isn't a group of socially normal people. This is a travelling circus. A travelling circus of mentally ill, homeless psychopaths. They aren't normal, just from the very surface.
Yes that's all very fine but if any of the NPCs in any way show disdain for the PCs for the above reasons the Dungeon Mistress would have the offending NPCs arrested, yes?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom