Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Basilisk Games (Eschalon) working on a first-person sci-fi RPG

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
who let the time out

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
http://basiliskgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13327&start=15#p63568

can't you use the Zodiac engine to throw together like, uh, a space tower defense game or something for a quick cash grab?

icon_biggrin.gif
The funny thing is, Zodiac was supposed to be a quick "cash grab" in terms of a short development cycle. The problem was that I couldn't cut corners; every time I playtested it I knew that there needed to be more. From a simple shooter to having basic missions, from basic missions to a having a real storyline, and from a deeper storyline there is a need for more content (ships, upgrades, etc). It became a dangerous, slippery slope that I blindly fell into and lost nearly a year of development to it, and still wasn't anywhere near being finished.

I still have it, it's still here, and I even jump in and drop a few lines of code from time to time. I think it will see the light of day, one day. And no, it's really easy to just transform it all into a space tower defense game. The process just doesn't work that way.

Things are moving fast and furious here in the studio. Daily coding, several projects moving forward in one way or another, and negotiations continuing to be had with other developers. Stay tuned!

447229-duke08.jpg

Exclusive photo of the owner of Basilisk Games.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
"Is Basilisk Games dead?": http://basiliskgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13333

Dead?? Nope!
icon_biggrin.gif

We're here. We're working. After converting from BlitzMax to Unity, and moving from a 2D isometric engine to a 3D engine, and now back to a hybrid 2D/3D engine, it's been taking much, much longer to make any progress. RPGs are giant and require a lot of design work. Also, we've been helping other developers with their projects which generates a bit of cash flow for us- much needed in this time of famine between our own games, but it further cuts down on the time we get to work on our stuff.

Can't really say much else. Every month we do progress on our own projects, but it's just going to be a bit longer before we can really announce anything.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
"even if it takes 10 more years": http://basiliskgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13333#p63604

If I ever have to close the studio, I would announce it. I wouldn't leave anyone wondering.

And yes, RPGs are in our blood and I'll always be working on something related to role-playing. I don't think I will ever feel complete until this sci-fi RPG gets released, even if it takes 10 more years. And I'd love to revisit Eschalon one day, even if it's not connected to the original trilogy in any way.

I can't really say what we've been working on recently, because we've been helping other developers with their projects and they are not obligated to credit me or Basilisk, but it's been some mobile stuff and a PC game. It's just hard to pass up a contract for real money at this stage. I guess in the end, as longs as I'm still making games, life is good.

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here
Maybe Basilisk should take a page out of Spiderweb's book and transition their sci-fi RPG into a wonky fantasy RPG ala Geneforge.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Oh an update from January. He's working on some helicopter game with other developer: http://basiliskgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13340

I promised a New Year 2020 update, and so here it is!

Honestly, not much has changed from last year. I'm here in the studio everyday working on something. One day I could be working on our sci-fi RPG, the next day I might be assisting another developer on their mobile project.

What I've spent a lot of time on in late 2019 and will be spending more time on in 2020 is....a helicopter sim adventure. Yep, you read that right. We are working with another developer on a mission-based helicopter "sim" (not a hyper realistic simulator model, but accurate enough to feel real). It will have some elements of Wing Commander (complete missions, advance the story) and Sim Copter (earn money, buy helicopters and accessories to be able to take on new types of missions).

I know what you're thinking: this is pretty damn far from your RPG roots. Yep! But as I have said in the past- as a developer, I am happy to work on other projects that provide income while we continue to develop our own RPGs. If I didn't take on other projects for more income, we'd have closed the studio a couple years ago.

Hopefully I can share more info on this helicopter game later this spring. And of course, as soon as the sci-fi RPG gets far enough along, we'll be sharing that too!

If its not an app, im all in.

Not an app. Right now Windows only on Steam. It's being made with Unity, so a Mac and Linux port would be easy to do if it sells well.

On the other hand i am still looking forward to play the Basilisk sci-fi game, whatever time it may take to finish it.

Thank you for your continued support. The sci-fi RPG is so damn cool...it's a design idea that I've had for 20+ years at this point. This game has been through (at least) 4 different engines as I try to find the best way to present it. It will see the light of day...someday.

Only a few days now and we'll be approaching the six year mark since Basilisk Games released their last game.

I know 6 years seems like a long time...and it is...but after Book 3 I took a much needed break while continuing to support and market the trilogy. BlitzMax was officially abandoned (only to resurface as Open Source, which no one is actively working on) and so I've switched to Unity. Started on a Space Shooter RPG-ish game (ZATMOS) which I put on the back burner after the feature scope went out of control. Began porting my sci-fi RPG over to Unity, and that too derailed when I realized a first-person perspective engine was not the best way to present a party-based, turn-based RPG.

So, a lot has happened in 6 years. I've been busy! I'm still here and working on both ZATMOS and the Sci-Fi RPG, and now helping on a Helicopter-based adventure sim. Something will come out eventually! :D

Hobo Elf

Arcane
but after Book 3 I took a much needed break
The fuck is he on about. He admitted that Book 3 was outsourced to his cousin once the game came out and everyone WTF'd over the general poor quality of it compared with Eschalon 1 & 2 (quality relative to the series). This guy has done nothing but procrastinate for a decade now.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Eh, he's done at this point I think. It's a shitty thing to say, because I enjoyed book I and II though I didn't do III. It's sad to say it but it's obvious you need a lot of passion and dedication to do this by yourself essentially. It's a difficult thing. Whatshisface did this for how many avernum games? It ain't easy.

VaultDweller and Styg have teams, but even then it's difficult to continue. Doing it by yourself completely is even harder.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
An update from last month, the pandemic hit the serpent king too: http://basiliskgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13344#p63704

Late reply because I was out of town. Hope everyone had a great time blowing stuff up! So, since I'm here, I thought I could give a bit of an update:

Well, the only thing I have to say is that Covid-19 has pretty much brought work to a halt. Even before the virus had shut most of the economy down, back in February my kid got really sick (out of control Strep throat) and missed a TON of school. In the process of dealing with that, everything started shutting down and her school was closed for the remainder of the year.

With me having the "most flexible" work schedule, I've been in charge of dealing with her. All our plans (both work and leisure) were canceled for the spring and summer, and I've been wondering what will happen next month when school is set to begin. I have another kid that is suppose to start college in August and that is up in the air right now.

So yeah, I wish I could say that 2020 has been the most productive year on record, but just the opposite is true. For those of you "working from home" with kids, you know what I mean- I have barely made any progress on my projects in the past 5-6 months.

I have been playing a bit of the updated Minecraft 1.16 and that's been cool. Oh yeah, I played Half-Life: Alyx and nearly broke my foot when I got scared of a zombie coming through a door and I ran into a real-world bookshelf, so yeah that happened.

All-in-all, I think it's best to admit that Basilisk Games studio is just in a state of hibernation right now until things return to normal, whatever that means!
icon_biggrin.gif
I am telling myself that it has been a good thing that I was forced to take an extended break, since now I am really looking forward to getting back to work again.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

A status update from January, contract works, move, and new engine (again): http://basiliskgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=63873#p63873

Thanks to all, especially to the handful of members who still stop by regularly. It may seem weird, but we did sell nearly 500 copies of Book II & III in 2021, so there are new players still steadily coming in and checking the forums for solutions. Thank you and welcome!

I am emailed regularly and asked why new user registration on these forums is deactivated, and the answer is spam. When I turn on user registration, the forums just get overloaded with garbage posts, and then I have to spend valuable time cleaning up the mess. This needs to be addressed when I have more time; we probably need updated forum software. Basilisk Games main website is outdated and in need of a refresh as well. :roll:

As for what else happened in 2021:

- Covid certainly changed things for us in the past 2 years. It disrupted my normal schedule, in some ways giving me more time to work on Basilisk projects, yet in other ways much less time. I am still spending (too much) time contracting my services out to other businesses to help them develop their projects, but income keeps the lights on.

- We moved! We left the Indianapolis area and moved to Bloomington. The Basilisk studio moved with us, and now occupies a large unfinished basement. As I write this, I am surrounded by boxes and totes, with the loud hum of workstations stacked together and an entanglement of wires and network cabling everywhere. I am currently trying to locate a contractor to build out the basement and get a functional studio again.

- I am transitioning again to a new engine for Basilisk's next game. Most of you old timers know that I started with BlitzMax to make Eschalon. In the past few years I've moved over to Unity. Now I'm moving to Godot, which is much like Unity but without so much overhead. It's faster to work with as it is 1/10th the size of Unity, and it is open source making it far more affordable.

- My intention is still to put out a sci-fi RPG and I have a huge portfolio of test engines to show for it, but I'm not yet in a place where I can show off anything new. Many of you are probably sick of hearing the same thing year after year, but it's the best I can offer right now.

Here's to a peaceful and prosperous 2022 for everyone!

Last edited:

Contagium

Savant
Patron
I was just thinking about Basilisk and if they were up to anything new. Hoping something happens here but I'm sure it'll end up like most of my hopes and dreams. (In the toilet)

wishbonetail

Learned
Remember the time when this guy had saved me from popamole gaming, introduced me to indie gaming and removed the shitty aftertaste from Dragon Age. Still replaying Eschalons from time to time with all of the challenges enabled.

Mortmal

Arcane
When threads like this reappear, its because its rpg drought again and people are scrapping the bottom of the barrel, so it gets kinda ugly and smelly. It's easy to define eschalon: Banal boring shit. Sure it's impressive for a lone dev to make a good looking isometric rpg but what's the point ? What is there to praise ? Cliché plot, zero tactical depth,almost zero character building , some puzzle with pressure plates stolen from the classics. No reason to believe the next game will be any better, another faux retro cashing on nostalgy.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Forum post from March: https://basiliskgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13404

I've been making some good progress on the new RPG. #BasilisksNextGame

I don't think we're doing sci-fi anymore.

From last year: https://basiliskgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=63915#p63915

I love you guys! I am so sorry for being quiet. I wish I could say there are great things coming real soon, but I just don't have a clear picture yet. So if you want the more detailed explanation:

About a year ago I mentioned moving to Godot, which is a game engine that is lean, powerful and open source. Currently I am waiting on version 4.0 to be released before I can port my earlier work over (they've just reached beta 9, so we're close!). If you recall, I had previously spent years working with Unity and experimenting with several failed jump starts on my next game.

I can't believe how long it's been since I've actually released anything. Meanwhile, Jeff over at Spiderweb Software seems to drop a new game every other week.
:D
Well, as Theodore Roosevelt once said, “Comparison is the thief of joy.” I can't judge my success against anyone else's, and so I just keep slowly toiling away in my office.

A few people have asked if I've just given up game development, and the answer is a solid no. However, my projects always seem to take a back seat to my other responsibilities, whether that be grinding on contract work, helping my kid's school maintain their website, building out a home theater in our basement, or just walking the dog. Days often turn into weeks between the time I put any serious work in on my next game.

If I had to give a forecast for 2023, I'd say sometime in January Godot 4.0 will be released. I'll spend a few weeks porting some earlier work over to it and learning the new features. If all goes well and if I can dig in hard, maybe I'll have something to show off later in the year.

I should also note that I am aware the website is looking a bit dated. The blog-style updates on the front page aren't doing it for me anymore, and this forum software needs updated. I'll need to take a serious look at refreshing it all before I really announce anything. I guess if you see the website suddenly refreshed into something new, it might be a sign I'm preparing to show something.

Have a great holiday and a fantastic start to 2023!! <3

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
The last game had plenty of stonework dungeons and scifi twist so no discounting it yet.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The last game had plenty of stonework dungeons and scifi twist so no discounting it yet.
You're correct: https://basiliskgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=63928#p63928

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote: March 7th, 2023, 4:41 pmA dungeon crawler in the style of Legend of Grimrock and Vaporum?
Yes!
blatherbeard wrote: March 8th, 2023, 11:55 amGod i hope not personally. Thought those games were so overhyped and the puzzles were far more annoying than fun imo.
but if it IS ill still play it LOL
:lol:
:D

So, Eschalon was a grid-based RPG. This is too, but in first person. I don't like the puzzles either- I never finished Grimrock 2 because I was too frustrated with the puzzles. Our game will be more exploratory and quest based, not relying on exclusively on puzzles that are traditional in this genre. I am not even putting pressure plates in the game.
:P

Also, like Eschalon, this is fully turn based whereas those other games were real-time. Like Eschalon, you perform an action and then the rest of the world will take their action.

And yes, this is our sci-fi RPG (the ongoing saga of a game that has been in development for 10+ years!) If you look closely at the image, you can see the light on the ceiling beyond the gate is electrical, not a torch. This section just happens to take place at the very bottom of a secured mine shaft.

https://basiliskgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=63934#p63934

alvinru wrote: April 13th, 2023, 10:30 am
BasiliskWrangler wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 4:48 pmI've been making some good progress on the new RPG. #BasilisksNextGame
Unity or Godot?
Back to Unity. Godot has a lot of potential, but I just can't get behind their use of a proprietary scripting language, and their C# support just feels like a neglected child. I worked for several weeks at getting the current engine ported over, but after hitting several walls and not finding efficient solutions, I just gave up. Unity may not be perfect, but I am so much more comfortable using it.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Damn. I was just thinking about this series too.

I liked the first and second. Bought the third but never played it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom