Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In the vast majority of brawlers, enemies only attack you one at a time because having them all dogpile would result in frustration. Here's an interesting article on the subject (and it looks like B:AC messes up on the "looking stupid" part): http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3 ... awling.php

Vibalist

Arcane
abnaxus said:
Why the hell does everyone attack one by one?

Because defeating enemies in this game is very easy and is meant to be so.
What isn't easy, however, is stacking up high combos (I'm talking in the 50's and 60's here), and using the whole assortment of moves available (batclaw attack, ground pound, tossing enemies and so on) rather than just pressing the attack button. This is where the true challenge, and the fun, lies.

Vibalist said:
What isn't easy, however, is stacking up high combos (I'm talking in the 50's and 60's here), and using the whole assortment of moves available (batclaw attack, ground pound, tossing enemies and so on) rather than just pressing the attack button. This is where the true challenge, and the fun, lies.

I did get my ass kicked in quite a few places when playing for the first time.. But yeah, once you learn the game the fun lies in stacking up combos as high as you can.
Best I managed to do when recording. Also, is it me or the combat in that Arkham City video feels a bit less fluid somehow?

Vibalist said:
abnaxus said:

And bingo is his nameO.

Can't wait to get Arkham city. All I need is the game itself and a 360 controller for my PC and I'm all set.

circ

Arcane
Yeah, once I stopped looking at the combat as simplistic garbage and looked at the beautifully animated combos, it improved. I don't think I went past 25-30 ever though. That doesn't make it worth its development though, just because someone on the team went LETS MAKE COMBOS.

I went back to play this tonight, it's surprising how much better it is than the sequels. Actual level design, better progression, feels much more rewarding. Combat is of course super popamole but playing on hard without prompts makes it a little more bearable.

Open world cancer pretty much killed this series.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Hate the way these games look. Can't stand the art styles anymore. This ugly middle between hyper realism, hulking muscles and exaggerated bone structure. Even back then, I hated it, but I adapted because it's Batman. The Riddler collectibles are better laid out than in some other games. Combat is dull, stealth is dull. How do you make a Batman game without the ability to jump and without Splinter Cell's darkness mechanic? Couldn't make it through Arkham Knight again these years later. I just get mad at the Batman game we never got, will never get, because AAA has to appeal to as many people as possible.

Ezekiel

Arcane
abnaxus said:

60 combos is easy. I got to 574 in Arkham City once. Not a good combat system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom