Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Batman: Arkham Asylum

I played through the thing on hard. Combat was hard for the first 30 mins, but after you figure out the system the game becomes really easy, and only gets easier as you obtain incredibly strong new abilities, while the enemies you fight never get much stronger. Frankly I don't have a problem with that, the game didn't pretend to have a DMC or NG amount of depth to the combat style. In the end its fun to prey upon hapless minions from the shadows above while the *insert well voiced villain here* taunts you constantly and yells at their subordinates for fucking up all the time.

That said, the boss battles were mostly lame. The actual *boss* bosses pretty much consisted of evasion + batarang spam. The titan battles were interesting, but FAR over used. You fight 1 titan, then 2, then 1 titan with lots of cheap minions, then for the grand finale you fight 2 titans with lots of cheap minions. Meh. On the other hand, I can't really fault them for this, the combat system isn't really complex enough to handle things more then this, and making it more complex would probably make it feel a lot less like a batman game.

The game definitely gets the batman atmosphere right though, there's a bunch of hidden secrets and backstory information to unlock, and batman controls very, very well for a brawler. Considering how bad most games that are made around already existing book/movie/comic franchises are, Arkham Asylum definitely stands out above most of those trashy cash in games. It feels batman, it plays like batman.

Luzur

Good Sir
Unkillable Cat said:
That's Batman: The Movie: The Game. :P

First stage was a platformer sequence through a factory, second stage driving in the Batmobile (grappling lampposts to make high-speed turns), third stage a Mastermind-type puzzle, fourth stage a flying sequence and finally another platformer sequence through a really tall building...think it was a church, can't remember for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_FWZuePdJ0

yep, it is correct. i remember liking the driving sequence more the the other parts.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Watching that video and hearing the song being played brought back some memories. Shame that both the C-64 and the Amstrad versions are trying to play the same song and failing abysmally (not the SID chip's finest hour). The Youtube comments make me go "WTF?" though.

It could be worse, it could be the music from The Caped Crusader game - at times it actually sounds like the Spiderman theme!

Imbecile

Arbiter
Just picked this up - and its pretty good.

Is it me though, or does the joker remind anyone else of queenie from Blackadder?

Just me then.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
GO AHEAD BRO SUCK THIS DOWN LIKE THE REST OF THE SHEEPLE

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Vibalist said:
I'd gladly pay 50 bucks for another 10 hours of AA.

Seriously, I was astonished by how much fun this game is. Yeah, it is very easy (when it comes to combat, and except most boss fights), but it's so atmospheric, full of detail and.. fun.
By far the greatest license game since... No idea.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Silellak said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Vibalist said:

This. It's the first game since TW that I'd pay for--installed a few days ago, plan to pick up a legit copy some time this week (though the locally licensed edition is much cheaper than 50 bucks--$18 is the full price, and by now it's probably hit bargain bin). After slogging through so many non-games, Batman: AA surprised me by reminding me how much fun a game can be.

Silellak

Cipher
Lesifoere said:
Silellak said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Vibalist said:

This. It's the first game since TW that I'd pay for--installed a few days ago, plan to pick up a legit copy some time this week (though the locally licensed edition is much cheaper than 50 bucks--$18 is the full price, and by now it's probably hit bargain bin). After slogging through so many non-games, Batman: AA surprised me by reminding me how much fun a game can be.
Not to mention that what the small team at Rocksteady managed to pull off with the Unreal 3 engine is nothing short of a small technical miracle, as pointed out by Annie earlier in this thread.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Reading Annie's post does remind me of one thing: I'd have liked it lots if Batman's LOVINGLY RENDERED CAPE didn't fill a third of my screen all the time. :/ And Jesus he's huge. I know jack-shit about Batman lore; has there ever been an incarnation of him that's so... bulky?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Lesifoere said:
Reading Annie's post does remind me of one thing: I'd have liked it lots if Batman's LOVINGLY RENDERED CAPE didn't fill a third of my screen all the time. :/ And Jesus he's huge. I know jack-shit about Batman lore; has there ever been an incarnation of him that's so... bulky?
He's actually sized in his classical blue-cape measures in this. Frank Miller's 55 year old Batman looks like this:

the-dark-knight-returns.jpg

miller1.jpg

TDKR-093.jpg

BTW, Dark Knight Returns is a must if you want to see what makes Batman so special.

Yes, there once was a time when Frank Miller made something awesome and it looked good.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Lesifoere said:
Silellak said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Vibalist said:

Too bad quality goes down to the shitter at the later stages: instead of not very challenging, but rather clever mix of exploration, stealth and brawling with nice art design and cool psychodelic stuff you'll get samey encounters + samey bosses and the last one is just a POS.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Lesifoere said:

Well, in a way - he looked that bulky in his Frank Miller incarnations, which came about as a result of Frank Miller suddenly deciding he was capable of drawing and nobody having the heart to tell him differently.
That and the fact that the Unreal Engine 3 permanently removes itself from your system if you use it to render a character who hasn't reached advanced stages of steroid abuse.

Felix

Arcane
well, it's fun until you realized you just do the same things over and over.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS WE NEED SKYWAY BACK YOU STUPIF FAGS JUST PLAY WHATEVER SHIT THE MEDIA TELLS YOU QUEER ASS SHEEPLE

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Lesifoere said:
He's actually sized in his classical blue-cape measures in this. Frank Miller's 55 year old Batman looks like this:

Ahahaha the thighs. I know it's supposed to be muscles, but damn they must rub together badly when he walks.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Lesifoere said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Lesifoere said:

Ahahaha the thighs. I know it's supposed to be muscles, but damn they must rub together badly when he walks.
Fuck, can't find the pic of Batman sitting in the Batcave by Jim Lee. Now that'd really crack you up in the thigh department.

Personally, I prefer the Alex Ross versions and similar when it comes to classic superheroes:

dbImage.aspx

ross_batman_wallpaper_1280-1.jpg

Yeah Alex Ross is superb, some wax figures based on his drawings.

superman3.jpg

batman1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom