Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Though I do consider Frank Quitely's Superman in ASS better than Ross'.

Out of context I didn't really like the art in that however tied alongside the story it gave off a fantastic atmosphere. But my favourite Batman style is probably the blue cape one, bulky yet sleek.

ehwwu0.jpg

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Yep, surprise hit of the year for me.

Someone gave me a burned copy of AA with the crack (I would never have wasted bandwidth on a game I was sure was shit before I played it). So glad he did. I loved every goddamn minute of it!

I loved it so much I went and bought a boxed copy :D

Now watch as it is completely overlooked in all the major GoTY lists in favour of actual crap like MW2.

Vibalist

Arcane

Felix

Arcane
Now they just need to improve the combat, make it more complex. Game was fun, but rinse and repeat boss fights were disappointing.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Felix said:
Now they just need to improve the combat, make it more complex. Game was fun, but rinse and repeat boss fights were disappointing.
God yes, if they change the boss fights it will be glorious.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
talia.jpg

You guys know this means sex scenes, right? As cool a villain as Talia is, having her as a love interest and Robin in the game doesn't sound too good.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Wow, nine pages! :salute:
So, is this game any good? For a guy who is not a fan of a Batman dude, that is? I don't hate him or anything, I just was not exposed to a Batman comics as a kid, so I don't see him as a badass. Maybe rather as some kind of werido with a thing for bats. I'd be able overlook the wings, but a grown man wearing the hat with ears on it... :roll: It's an instant mood killer.

I have started to play it because it supposedly has a great combat mechanics. So far (got to that Scarecrow dude, before geting terminally bored) I do not see it. I just mash buttons and am able to kick (almost) anybody's ass. Really, I had a better fun with The Warrior Within. Does it get any better?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
If you've already played a significant portion I'd say you should be able to determine for yourself whether or not it is any good. It is essentially a combination of Adventure game and Beat-Em-Up. Nothing amazing but good for fans of the old (mid 90's) animated series.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I have never been much of a Batman fan, but this game was fucking awesome. I never expected it to be this good. One of the best games of 2009.

I played it while on super-sabbatical from the Codex.

I enjoyed playing it, but I can't really find much to praise heavily. It isn't a particularly deep game, nor is it terribly creative throughout. That doesn't make it bad, just nothing special.

The adventure elements seem ripped straight from the Metroid series, namely Prime (why Detective Mode, you aren't the scan visor/x-ray visor?) basically encouraging exploring every nook and cranny whenever you acquire a new bat-toy in order to either receive upgrades, collectibles, or to circumvent an impassable blockade...one that likely leads to the next thread in the adventure. This isn't bad...but it really doesn't feel too much like Batman, wandering around, pulling down cracked-walls to grab goodies with your bat-tools. And besides flavor concerns, it's not particularly stimulating gameplay...especially seeing as the way it is implemented is rather lackluster. For example, in Metroid Prime, finding items often requires using the new item to solve a tricky puzzle with it, adding some gameplay value to the experience. In Arkham Asylum, this often is not the case, with the game merely giving you a USE ITEM X HERE notice in Detective Mode, you going through the motions of selecting and using the item, and then grabbing the item. And as a final couple of notes on adventuring, not only does Detective Mode ruin any challenge of exploration, but it looks terrible, and washes over the games' great aesthetic style.

Combat is a mixed bag. They went for simplicity, and most certainly succeeded in that, as the combat feels more like a QTE sequence crossed with some sort of rhythm game. It does have it's moments though. Essentially the combat is mostly geared towards Batman diving into combat with a group of melee thugs, punching, blocking or dodging when prompted (either by a impossible to not notice cue on Normal mode, or rather forgiving telegraphing on Hard, where the glowy cue is not there), and using bat-tools and super moves occasionally. Bat tools are limited by your inventory and super moves can be purchased on level up, and are usable when you have achieved enough of a combo, like one that allows you to use a instant KO technique every 10 combo you pull off.

The combat isn't bad, but it does get stale after awhile, and there isn't much depth to it. It's easy to learn, but you can't really improve heavily through knowledge of the game because of the lack of freedom and/or true control in it. This isn't Ninja Gaiden or DMC, where learning the system and the properties of all the different moves allows you to better utilize them...once you've got Arkham Asylum's combat down, you only can really get better at reflexive stuff; essentially why I likened it somewhat more to a QTE/rhythm game affair. And the variety of encounters, or relative lackthereof, gives rise to a real feeling of sameness after numerous combat sorties. It feels as though the combat was designed only for one encounter type...though it does do it well enough. The average gamer will probably have many moments of fun, possibly shouting "I'M THE GODDAMN BATMAN!" while pulling off spectacular looking combos on a bunch of goons. I even had some fun with it, though, again, it's no DMC3, Ninja Gaiden 2, or Bayonetta in terms of free-form combat bliss.

Bosses...were rather banal:smug:. Let no more be said. I actually quit the game on finding tthe last boss was the same as almost every other boss beforehand and sent it back to Gamefly. Yes...real ragequit. I wish I would have the notion to do this with stuff like Bethesda games...

Now what the game does well is the visual aesthetics, which are gorgeous, the audio, with a great voice cast, and the stealth sections. Stealth sections in this game put you in a dark room, with a bunch of gun-toting goons looking for you, and give you the full range of the Caped Crusader's abilities to take them down one by one. This Predator-esque setup works well, and the fact that the rooms are designed full of all sorts of ledges, windows, grates, crawlspaces, and gargoyles to hang on makes for a veritable playground of sneakery. I'd have liked to see more optional stealth throughout the game, as stealth handled a lot better than combat, and fit much more in with the tone of the Batman.

All in all, decent game. Probably the best action game of 2009, though that isn't saying much. Madworld and Sigma 2 were both pretty terrible and they were the only real competition.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I wish they'd make a The Authority game, since then you could really let loose with super-powered combat and moves used in said combat.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
I've had this game sitting in my Steam account for at least a year, and despite hearing a lot of good things, it took me until this week to install/beat it.

And I'm glad I got around to it. I started the game up with no expectations (I heard it was good, but hadn't even read a review), and the game was surprisingly good. I loved every second of it. Everything (except some of the boss fights) was executed fantastically. The graphics, the presentation, the atmosphere, they were all great. The game ran incredibly smooth, especially impressive considering it looks way better than other games that my machine sometimes lags on.

My favorite parts were the Scarecrow levels, they were linear but very well done. The atmosphere was so good throughout the game that I didn't even want to go into Croc's lair when the time came. The game did an awesome job building him up. I felt like the Goddamn Batman the whole time, especially in the stealthier parts. Not knowing much about the game helped the experience, because I had no idea so much of the Gotham rogues gallery would make an appearance.The boss fights could have used more variety and I would have liked it if the game made you figure out more stuff for yourself, but overall Arkham Asylum is a great action/adventure game.

I'd say it's GOTY 2009, although 2009 wasn't exactly a great year for gaming. I'm really looking forward to the sequel. Hopefully it addresses the few issues and gives a larger and more open area to explore.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Edward_R_Murrow said:
I played it while on super-sabbatical from the Codex.

I enjoyed playing it, but I can't really find much to praise heavily. It isn't a particularly deep game, nor is it terribly creative throughout. That doesn't make it bad, just nothing special.

The adventure elements seem ripped straight from the Metroid series, namely Prime (why Detective Mode, you aren't the scan visor/x-ray visor?) basically encouraging exploring every nook and cranny whenever you acquire a new bat-toy in order to either receive upgrades, collectibles, or to circumvent an impassable blockade...one that likely leads to the next thread in the adventure. This isn't bad...but it really doesn't feel too much like Batman, wandering around, pulling down cracked-walls to grab goodies with your bat-tools. And besides flavor concerns, it's not particularly stimulating gameplay...especially seeing as the way it is implemented is rather lackluster. For example, in Metroid Prime, finding items often requires using the new item to solve a tricky puzzle with it, adding some gameplay value to the experience. In Arkham Asylum, this often is not the case, with the game merely giving you a USE ITEM X HERE notice in Detective Mode, you going through the motions of selecting and using the item, and then grabbing the item. And as a final couple of notes on adventuring, not only does Detective Mode ruin any challenge of exploration, but it looks terrible, and washes over the games' great aesthetic style.

Combat is a mixed bag. They went for simplicity, and most certainly succeeded in that, as the combat feels more like a QTE sequence crossed with some sort of rhythm game. It does have it's moments though. Essentially the combat is mostly geared towards Batman diving into combat with a group of melee thugs, punching, blocking or dodging when prompted (either by a impossible to not notice cue on Normal mode, or rather forgiving telegraphing on Hard, where the glowy cue is not there), and using bat-tools and super moves occasionally. Bat tools are limited by your inventory and super moves can be purchased on level up, and are usable when you have achieved enough of a combo, like one that allows you to use a instant KO technique every 10 combo you pull off.

The combat isn't bad, but it does get stale after awhile, and there isn't much depth to it. It's easy to learn, but you can't really improve heavily through knowledge of the game because of the lack of freedom and/or true control in it. This isn't Ninja Gaiden or DMC, where learning the system and the properties of all the different moves allows you to better utilize them...once you've got Arkham Asylum's combat down, you only can really get better at reflexive stuff; essentially why I likened it somewhat more to a QTE/rhythm game affair. And the variety of encounters, or relative lackthereof, gives rise to a real feeling of sameness after numerous combat sorties. It feels as though the combat was designed only for one encounter type...though it does do it well enough. The average gamer will probably have many moments of fun, possibly shouting "I'M THE GODDAMN BATMAN!" while pulling off spectacular looking combos on a bunch of goons. I even had some fun with it, though, again, it's no DMC3, Ninja Gaiden 2, or Bayonetta in terms of free-form combat bliss.

Bosses...were rather banal:smug:. Let no more be said. I actually quit the game on finding tthe last boss was the same as almost every other boss beforehand and sent it back to Gamefly. Yes...real ragequit. I wish I would have the notion to do this with stuff like Bethesda games...

Now what the game does well is the visual aesthetics, which are gorgeous, the audio, with a great voice cast, and the stealth sections. Stealth sections in this game put you in a dark room, with a bunch of gun-toting goons looking for you, and give you the full range of the Caped Crusader's abilities to take them down one by one. This Predator-esque setup works well, and the fact that the rooms are designed full of all sorts of ledges, windows, grates, crawlspaces, and gargoyles to hang on makes for a veritable playground of sneakery. I'd have liked to see more optional stealth throughout the game, as stealth handled a lot better than combat, and fit much more in with the tone of the Batman.

All in all, decent game. Probably the best action game of 2009, though that isn't saying much. Madworld and Sigma 2 were both pretty terrible and they were the only real competition.

Every word of this is true. It was good for what it was...

Fucking boss fights. Seriously? And the "secrets".

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I think I'll replay it again soon. It's rare enough that a recent action game manages to be this good. Wish there were more like it but at least I can always go back to it.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
very nice trial modes i must say. I kept it installed to see if i could accomplish a flawless run in their trial modes.

best i've done so far in 81 flawless chain in sewer rat extreme.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Nothing like quoting myself:

Gordon Freeman said:
I have started to play it because it supposedly has a great combat mechanics. So far (got to that Scarecrow dude, before geting terminally bored) I do not see it. I just mash buttons and am able to kick (almost) anybody's ass. Does it get any better?
For the record, it does get better latter on. It gets difficult like hell, I'd say. Some of the challenges seem almost unbeatable, if you'd like to get the third tier bat. I-want-to-chew-my-keyboard unbeatable. And I'm plaing on normal. Since I got over the ridicules Batman's attire, it is fun game.
But the puzzles are unfair. I was scratching my head with both hands, pixel-hunting for a way to open some forcefields and stuff that, as it turned out, were impossible to pass untill much latter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom