Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Jrpgfan

Erudite
It's happening: http://battlebrothersgame.com/in-sacrifice-renewal/

IN SACRIFICE, RENEWAL

blog_header_day1.jpg

The inquisitive mind, quite naturally, turns its senses to suffering. As the eyes see and the ears hear, would one find pain to be a worthwhile teacher and, if so, in whose body? Theirs? Or yours?

artwork_02.jpg

Read all about what is coming in next week’s announcement!

Join the Overhype Studios Discord for another piece of the puzzle, and to discuss everything Battle Brothers, or sign up to the Overhype Studios newsletter to always be the first to know!

(Unless this is another DLC for Battle Brothers instead?)

I wanted a far-eastern themed DLC but I'll take that.

DEUS VULT

:yeah:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Tier 3 careers (Hedge Knights, Sellswords, Adventuring Nobles) can be hired up to level 5 anyways.
Yes but if you consider how exp requirements are at given levels, even 5th level is like, what? 1/5 of exp needed for level 11? Less? Too lazy to check. And those backgrounds + max levels are hard to come by.
What i would not want to, is the ability to hire level 9+ bros. That would mean any bros is only worth some gold and can be replaced instantly. However I don't see why, let's say, level 6 or 7 militiaman or deserter or hunter, etc... shouldn't be available. At significant cost and only for established companies. That would make the ability to play high risk/high reward late game a little less annoying and less slow when you loose brothers and have to retrain them again. You can do it anyway as was pointed out. It would by realistic too - why wouldn't there be moderately high experienced bros to be hired at all? The world seems a very warlike place. Should have plenty of bros from destroyed companies, veteran soldiers from units that are no longer needed, etc... But they probably wouldn't join a band of loosers your company is at the start.
It wouldn't change anything negatively in game mechanics. Or at least i don't think so.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
I'm guessing that this is going to be an expansion-sized dlc for late game companies. Battle bros could be a game they churn out content for for years to come, but if their new game is basically battle bros with strategy, this might be the last content they make for BB. So they're going to make late late game scenarios, artefacts, locations, and monsters. My guess.

Tigranes

Arcane
Tier 3 careers (Hedge Knights, Sellswords, Adventuring Nobles) can be hired up to level 5 anyways.
Yes but if you consider how exp requirements are at given levels, even 5th level is like, what? 1/5 of exp needed for level 11? Less? Too lazy to check. And those backgrounds + max levels are hard to come by.
What i would not want to, is the ability to hire level 9+ bros. That would mean any bros is only worth some gold and can be replaced instantly. However I don't see why, let's say, level 6 or 7 militiaman or deserter or hunter, etc... shouldn't be available. At significant cost and only for established companies. That would make the ability to play high risk/high reward late game a little less annoying and less slow when you loose brothers and have to retrain them again. You can do it anyway as was pointed out. It would by realistic too - why wouldn't there be moderately high experienced bros to be hired at all? The world seems a very warlike place. Should have plenty of bros from destroyed companies, veteran soldiers from units that are no longer needed, etc... But they probably wouldn't join a band of loosers your company is at the start.
It wouldn't change anything negatively in game mechanics. Or at least i don't think so.

My experience is that for a high renown, post-first crisis company, you have a good setup and plenty of great equipment - a good Level 5 bro can come in and immediately start to be useful, and really pull his weight by Level 7 or 8. I don't think it's necessary to hire level 9 or 10 bros. Arguably some of this equation has been changing with more Very Late content added over time, and now with the new DLC.

That said, I guess nothing wrong with having a couple of Level 10 hedge knights around charging a few million bucks for a hire.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here we gooooooo. It's a free DLC coming March 10th: http://battlebrothersgame.com/of-flesh-and-faith-dlc-announcement/

‘OF FLESH AND FAITH’ DLC ANNOUNCEMENT

background_header_day2.jpg

While we’re working on a brand new game, fans of Battle Brothers have something to be excited about right now – we’re happy to announce that Battle Brothers will receive a free DLC called ‘Of Flesh and Faith’ on March 10th, 2022.

The focus of the DLC will be on adding two new origins to Battle Brothers, and thereby two fresh and different ways to approach the game. These two origins – the Oathtakers and the Anatomists – will be the most detailed origins in the game to date. They both come with unique mechanics, new equipment, new character backgrounds, their very own story events, and even a custom-tailored banner each. And because more variety is always nice, the DLC will add more than 50 new events in total to the game!

Here’s the list of features:

Oathtakers – Follow the teachings of Young Anselm, fight for righteousness, and swear oaths that confer advantages and disadvantages until fulfilled.

Anatomists – Further your research even if they shun you for it, dissect the corpses of your fallen enemies, and devise new ways to empower your men.
New Banners – Hoist two new banners that thematically fit the new origins.
New Equipment – Dress in style with new equipment that befits your origin.
New Events – Experience more than 50 new events on your travels.

Alongside this meaty free DLC full of new content will also come a sizable update to existing content. This update will contain a whole bunch of improvements, quality-of-life features and balancing changes. Both the DLC and the free update will arrive for PC on March 10th, and at the same time or shortly afterwards for Xbox, PlayStation and Switch.

Join us next week for our first dev blog on the new DLC and learn everything about the Anatomists.

Join the Overhype Studios Discord for another piece of the puzzle, and to discuss everything Battle Brothers, or sign up to the Overhype Studios newsletter to always be the first to know!

Salvo

Arcane
I'm... disappointed, surprisingly
Free stuff is always nice but I'm not sure this update is meaty enough to come back to the game

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I'm... disappointed, surprisingly
Free stuff is always nice but I'm not sure this update is meaty enough to come back to the game
Same here, i planned to return when the new big dlc comes out. Probably other people as well. But then maybe even this... thing will be enough to make me do it.

I really wish they had enough manpower to work on a real dlc for battle bros AND new game.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
I guess I played myself by setting my expectations too high but I'm disappointed as well. I totally thought it was gonna be a full DLC.

In most ways the game is great, but it needs some more work on certain aspects (like some kind of real challenge in the end game) to get it into timeless classic territory.

If it was financially viable for them to keep making a few more DLCs then it might have gotten there, but now I doubt it will. If this is their last balance patch I just hope they don't make the meta worse than it is currently.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
The part of the news I don't like is the rebalancing. wtf again?

The game could use some rebalancing, especially ironman is pretty fucked with some of the Beasts and Exploration encounters at the moment. If you don't save scum it is extremely easy to get a phyrric victory and enter a downward spiral economically that it is very hard to escape from.

There are some enemy types I don't fight at all on Ironman campaigns, namely Witches, Nightmare fuckers and Ghosts, because battles can go south so quickly.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
There are also a few builds that could be nerfed and they like nerfing things. But the current balance is decent, so I hope they tread carefully to avoid making things worse.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
While I think the balance is in a great place for the most part, there are some outliers.

The 2H mace for example, seems to be clearly the best frontline weapon, while the 2H flail is clearly the worst.

Some perks - like 'Resilient' - would need major buffs for me to even consider them.

I don't think they should fuck too much with builds, though.

Last edited:

ColaWerewolf

Educated
Miss the times when before every Alp fight you had to strip your bros down to their birthday suit and bumrush (figuratively and literally) the Alps down in the dead of night. Yes it was tedious but it was also the only encounter in the game that required you to drastically change your usual 2handerwall approach. And it always amused me to think of the look on the Alps' faces when they saw a bunch of burly naked men running full sprint at them.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

The game could use some rebalancing, especially ironman is pretty fucked with some of the Beasts and Exploration encounters at the moment. If you don't save scum it is extremely easy to get a phyrric victory and enter a downward spiral economically that it is very hard to escape from.

There are some enemy types I don't fight at all on Ironman campaigns, namely Witches, Nightmare fuckers and Ghosts, because battles can go south so quickly.
Nightmare fuckers ?

The only thing i skipped on my ironman run(s) among beasts were sometimes the wurms and only because i never got enough good tanks / overwhelm users. Once they "upgrade" their attack value at some point in the campaign they got too dangerous in any numbers higher than very few for my company. I never feared (no pun intended) ghosts, but then of curse all depends what numbers are we talking about. Witches can be tricky but i never avoided those either.
The one thing i DID fear were always the southern regular armies during the crisis. Assassins are deadly on their own but rare outside a crisis. However a couple of assassins + some handgonners = run!

jungl

Augur
2 handed flail are actually really strong. It nullifies all the high melee defense enemies in game, undead skeles, goblins, and particularly human mercs nobles. No making your 90 melee bro waste 2-3 rounds missing bottlenecking your team from routing the enemy before their numbers advantage goes in their favor.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

I never avoid these, Alps are easy as fuck now, just keep a tight formation and wait for them, then smash them with 2H bros.
Hexes are easy as well, either get 2 godlike archers or one impossible to charm bro (main character for example) which is going to get them on his own while the rest of the company stays out of range.
Ghosts... One melee hit and they're gone, you just have to wait and to flank them, ever heard of fencers?

Same as Serus, Lindwurms can be tricky, particularly with Legends which now throws Lindwurms champions at you and worse, Stolwurn champions...
And of course, with legends, there's Rock unholds (in numbers) and white wolves, Legendary contracts of these are often a death sentence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom