Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Nice strawman there. Show me where I even mentioned RNG in the original post.
:nocountryforshitposters:

2. Ranged hit calculation is retarded in BB. How the fuck do enemy missile shooters or throwers hit your backline every fucking time? They literally have better than 50% chance to hit your backline with your frontline and their frontline between them. You try that shit with your elite archers/crossbowmen, will be lucky to hit once every 10 times.

People like you are like a walking internet meme, zero critical thinking skills, just repeat some meme they saw somewhere else. Also since you brought it up, has it ever occurred to you in that tiny chicken brain of yours that if so many people complain about RNG in BB, maybe there is something to it?
I will repeat: I saw complaints about RNG in EVERY SINGLE GAME WITH RNG EVER CREATED. And I played a plenty of turn-based games with RNG. Just because some people are little bitches who can grasp how RNG works doesn't mean there is something wrong with it and it is literally impossible for it to be wrong 100% of the time. Educate yourself and read up on confirmation bias fallacy, you dirty peasant.
This is hopeless, you can't reason with THAT. He can't even grasp the fact that complaints about RNG are extremely common in computer gaming - and always were - let alone grasp the reasons. Hopeless and pointless.
And grasping that there are millions of people that believe every kind of weird or retarded shit you can imagine and that it means bupkiss by itself? Forget it.

In case like this one I prefer to think it's just trolling - regardless of likelihood, it helps me keeping better opinion about humanity.

Nice strawman there. Show me where I even mentioned RNG in the original post.
:nocountryforshitposters:

2. Ranged hit calculation is retarded in BB. How the fuck do enemy missile shooters or throwers hit your backline every fucking time? They literally have better than 50% chance to hit your backline with your frontline and their frontline between them. You try that shit with your elite archers/crossbowmen, will be lucky to hit once every 10 times.

People like you are like a walking internet meme, zero critical thinking skills, just repeat some meme they saw somewhere else. Also since you brought it up, has it ever occurred to you in that tiny chicken brain of yours that if so many people complain about RNG in BB, maybe there is something to it?
I will repeat: I saw complaints about RNG in EVERY SINGLE GAME WITH RNG EVER CREATED. And I played a plenty of turn-based games with RNG. Just because some people are little bitches who can grasp how RNG works doesn't mean there is something wrong with it and it is literally impossible for it to be wrong 100% of the time. Educate yourself and read up on confirmation bias fallacy, you dirty peasant.
This is hopeless, you can't reason with THAT. He can't even grasp the fact that complaints about RNG are extremely common in computer gaming - and always were - let alone grasp the reasons. Hopeless and pointless.
And grasping that there are millions of people that believe every kind of weird or retarded shit you can imagine and that it means bupkiss by itself? Forget it.

In case like this one I prefer to think it's just trolling - regardless of likelihood, it helps me keeping better opinion about humanity.

I guess nuance is as beyond your tiny brain as simple logic. Just because people complain about something with any rpg, doesn't mean it's a big deal. People complain about combat, and story, and exploration, and everything else. But the degree of those complaints matters. With most RPGs, it's not a big deal, while with BB, it seems to come up a lot in any forum. Now wrap your 30 brain cells around that.

Keep in mind btw, that my original post here didn't even have anything to do with RNG, the other idiot brought it up himself. It's like morons are so butthurt by the fact there might be something off with BB RNG, they invoke it themselves in order to direct their butthurt, severely chaffed asses against their own creation. You can't make this shit up. :smug:

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
it shouldn't be controversial
there's something busted about how BB generates "random", it's all in streaks

most visibly, undeniably and uncontroversially in how it generates shop inventories, overworld mooks and new hires - whatever result it gets, it repeats, everywhere

So I am having a pretty epic campaign right now, on day 210, defeated the first crisis (orc invasion), now dealing with the second crisis (noble house civil war). The random map is very nice overall this time, but somehow they managed to start a war between a noble house with 2 settlements (1 citadel and one tiny village) and 2 noble houses with 20 settlements. Not very balanced, eh... I took a mission from one of the large houses against the small one, but then an agent of the small one offered me to change sides and they'd give me a pretty nice sword (or so I thought). Between that and the desire to help the underdog, I decided to do it, except the "sword" turned out to be a useless flail, but whatever. So now I feel like a real partisan/guerilla fighter, trying to sneak around the 20 settlements of the huge guys, while finding manageable armies to defeat. Just took out 3-4 armies of footmen, billmen, arbalesters, standard bearers, of 15-18 men each, with only 12 on my side. Pretty fun fights.

My current company is structured like this: 4 elite crossbowmen, one bannerman with elite polearm skills, 3 expensive elite backgrounds (one swordmaster, one hedge knight, and one sellsword) for fun builds, and the rest are frontline footmen who can be given a longaxe/pike if more backline is needed.

The footmen are equipped with lamelar armor (95 armor, -10 fatigue) with attachments, and simple metal helmets (105 armor, -5 fatigue), so the combined fatigue cost is 15 and doesn't deduct from Nimble. They all have one handed swords (the most expensive I can get at the time, so starting with falchions and then up to noble swords) and kite shields for extra rdef, since I mostly invest into mdef on levelup. Kite shields (with shield master perk) are also most resistant to being broken by those pesky axemen/hammerers. I invest mostly into mattack, mdef, and either health/fatigue/resolve/rdef as needed. Most of these guys come from cheap backgrounds, but I try to pick stuff with good mdef and mattack. Perkwise, Nimble is a must, these guys are great blocking with shields, but as we all know, sometimes shit gets through, and Nimble is a life-saver then. Other than that, going with Colossus, Gifted, No Head Crits Perk, Shield Mastery, Sword Mastery, Footwork, High Resolve perk, Dodge if possible. These guys are my mainstays, they can tank, deal reasonable damage, back up as pikemen/longaxemen, etc.

The crossbowmen are self-explanatory, and with crossbow mastery perk, rattack in 90+, and heavy crossbows, they can really wreck stuff. They use the same armor as footmen (lamelar) but with mail coifs for head, to avoid vision penalties. Nimble is also good on them, since enemy archers often can hit the backline (too often).

The 3 expensive backgrounds are the most fun. The swordmaster I had to fire 2 of them before getting this one, as their stats sucked. But this one, came with footwork trait (+5 mdef), 2 stars in mdef, and 72 starting attack. I got him a fencing sword, lamelar armor with wolfur, sallet helmet. So at level 11 now, he has 56 mdef (without a shield obviously), and with dodge and 103 Initiative with armor, another 15 mdef/rdef at the start of battle. I got Relentless perk, so only half accumulated fatigue is subtracted from initiative, meaning even at fully topped off fatigue, he will still get +10 mdef/rdef from Dodge. So worst case scenario, 66 mdef, 95 mattack, 66 resolve, 63 health, Nimble, and 120 head armor, 110 body armor. Great mobility with the fencing sword with Lunge, fun ability, though it does burn through fatigue compared to regular attacks. He has Duelist, Nimble, Collosus, Footwork, Sword Mastery, Gifted, No Head Crits, High Resolve, Dodge, Relentless.

The Hedge Knight I am building with heaviest possible armor and Battle Forged and a Great Sword. Right now he has a 320 plate armor piece for the body (you can get a +40 attachment), and I am looking for a full helmet with 300 armor. Great Sword comes with fun abilities, but you need a lot of stamina, defense, etc. Going for Battle Forged, Reach Advantage, Sword Mastery, etc.

The Sellsword I am building with heavy armor and a sword and a heater shield.

So far wrecking stuff, but as we all know with Battle Brother, the battle to wipe you out is always around the corner (I am playing on Ironman of course). Last run I had like this ended on day 300+, when I went into some legendary item dungeon against undead, with something like 30 wiedergangers and 6 fallen heroes and Nachos and other assorted crap. Almost beat them too, but they kept coming back from the dead, until my guys burned through all fatigue and morale. Fucking undead...

Serus

Arcane
Patron
it shouldn't be controversial
there's something busted about how BB generates "random", it's all in streaks

most visibly, undeniably and uncontroversially in how it generates shop inventories, overworld mooks and new hires - whatever result it gets, it repeats, everywhere
1. SOME people have reported seeing this. I, for example, have many hundreds of hours of BB and never witnessed it. Talk about "non-controversial" all you want. I'm yet to see any solid proof.

2. Supposedly "busted" generation of backgrounds, inventories (never heard this one) or world encounters, even if true is NOT what we talked here about. We talked about rng in COMBAT. There may or may not be a problem with rng used in some circumstances and not in others or it can be be a problem everywhere. The point is, we do not know. All we have are suppositions and things observed by some players and not by many others. I'm yet to see a single solid evidence - and i'm not the only one. I know, such a complex concept as evidence, i'm so ashamed to even bring it here.

3. The issue with our esteemed colleague, you-know-who, and the main point of content was not even the problem with RNG per se. Perhaps there is or there isn't one. I only have problem with claims without any solid evidence given. If there is something botched in the RNG then it is, just give me proof, i'm an old fashioned man. Since it doesn't affect my game much in any significant way (a background doesn't appear for some time and then there are several at once - in some games - big deal.) I don't care much. I wouldn't even notice - i still didn't - the supposed "problem" without this great and prestigious forum.
However his claim that there are problems with rng and that it is specifically BIASED AGAINST THE PLAYER is is the ridiculous one and most contested one. Or do you claim that this one is also "non controversial"?

So ... I give you the most fun and possibly the most underrated build/background in Battle Brothers:

NKXAY50.png

This scary beast is the ... lore friendly Swordmaster. Duelist, Nimble, Relentless, Dodge, Sword Mastery (duh), High Resolve, Heavy Browed, Colossus, Footwork, Gifted.

Using the uber-fun fencing sword, Sallet helmet, Lamellar armor with dire wolf cape attachment, and Alp amulet.

At level 11, 95 melee attack (no stars), 56 melee defense (2 stars), 11 ranged defense ( :( ), 63 health, 66 Resolve, and 103 Initiative with all equipment on. From dodge, he gets another ~15 melee and ranged defense at start, down to ~10 at fully accumulated fatigue. So at his worst, 66 melee defense and 21 ranged defense.

With off-hand free, +25% melee damage, and from Duelist, 45% damage goes past armor. With Lunge ability from fencing sword, can attack from 2 tiles away, so he usually gets 2 hits during every round.

So why is this build so underrated by many? Because of 2 reasons, imho:

1. You need to select a good starting swordmaster. I had to throw away 2 candidates before finding this one, because their starting stats sucked. And that's expensive, since each one costs ~5-6k gold. But hey, if you want to have fun, you gotta pay. You want to find one with both a good starting melee defense (trait like sure footing is perfect) and also at least 2 stars in it. This is your key stat. Melee attack is always great on these guys, they always start at like 72-74, so you will be near 100 by the end even without stars. Also try to get Initiative with stars if possible, this is your second key stat due to Dodge.

2. This build requires more micromanagement and has more nuance than "simple" builds like footmen, knights, crossbowmen/archers and pikemen. As the swordmaster description says in the game, king of melee combat, but vulnerable to ranged attacks. So you can't use them as frontliners. Keep them in the back to the side, and unleash on the flanks once melee combat unfolds, away from archer volleys. Flanks are perfect for them, since you don't want them surrounded (with my build, I couldn't fit in Underdog perk).

So why is this build so good? Basically, they are a human can-opener. You know how most melee takes a while against heavily armored foes, as they whittle away their armor? Yeah, you can use warhammers to speed it up, but I mean, that's not cool at all. Well, this guy, he hits with enough damage through the armor that he immediately does heavy damage + disabling injuries + morale damage (especially with the dire wolf cloak), all the while being practically unhittable in melee combat. In Noble War, most enemy billmen would attack my footmen with shields and high defense instead of even trying this dude. And if he does occasionally get hit (the dreaded 5% chance), he's got deceptively high armor (120 head + 110 body) for an agility build AND nimble for minimum damage. Beware the old guy with dancing sword... ;)

rojay

Scholar
The two phrases I wrote were not intended to be linked by logic, they were my observations about the massive wall of text written by the poster. I did not make that clear. Swords have been nerfed, but they're still viable as weapons and mid-game I use noble swords and arming swords as secondary weapons for archers/throwers if that's what I've got. I also like to have at least one two-hander, because I am nostalgic I guess. Then the poster built a pretty sweet duelist, which is an effective build.

k0syak

Cipher
The two phrases I wrote were not intended to be linked by logic, they were my observations about the massive wall of text written by the poster. I did not make that clear. Swords have been nerfed, but they're still viable as weapons and mid-game I use noble swords and arming swords as secondary weapons for archers/throwers if that's what I've got. I also like to have at least one two-hander, because I am nostalgic I guess. Then the poster built a pretty sweet duelist, which is an effective build.
Nah, sword duelists suck. Mace/hammer/cleaver/qatal/axe is where it's at.

BanEvader

Welp I did it. I finally bought Battle Brothers after spending dozens of hours on my pirated version...
I saw it on sale and I was like "eh, it's a really good game, skillful game development should be rewarded."
Then I found out they were German.
I... I gave my shekels to ze Germans.
I gave them to ze fucking Germans.
:despair:

You know what they call a mace/hammer duelist? Carpenter.

Swordmaster theorycrafting
Anything not having underdog has no business being in melee. Pass.

I really wanted to get Underdog on him, but the thing is, this Swordmaster/Duelist build has so many needed perks that you have to make some tough decisions and leave something out. I chose to leave out Underdog because I use him more as a flank fighter, not as a tank, and with his amazing mobility (Lunge, Footwork), he should generally be able to maneuver his way out of being surrounded, and with his insane melee defense, most enemies ignore him anyway. So Underdog on this particular guy seemed less valuable than the perks I got.

rojay

Scholar
Dueling sword duelist is awesome. You need to find the right candidate, but the few times I have they've been pretty sweet. I've gone duelist with mace and axe and those are great too, but nothing compared to my dueling sword dudes. When you lunge at something knowing you're going to kill it in one shot and then get another attack from berserk it's neat.

Edit: qatal duelist is also great for some very specific things.

Well, I just got ROYALLY F-U-C-K-E-D in my campaign...

Was wrecking the large noble house, army after army after army, when I got this contract to take this asshole to his home village (which belonged to the enemy House). As I am going there, suddently around a bend in the road and the forest around the village, appears a FUCKING enemy army with 26 dudes (a knight, a bannerman, several sergeants, tons of footmen, billmen, etc) and initiates the attack before I even have a chance to shit myself. As if that wasn't bad enough, the battle map is a fucking forest, and my dudes are surrounded on all sides. So I can't even retreat. 12 against high end 26 enemies. I figure I'll use choke-points to even the odds, but these forest maps are so hard to read and move on (with extra AP spent on movement), it becomes a royal clusterfuck. RNG of course continues to fuck me, as the first 2 rounds of combat, the enemy fucks just CANNOT miss. Against my dudes who all have 40+ melee defense, in some cases 60+, they just cannot miss.

Anyways, at some point I realize I am fucked, but I see a couple of crossbowmen and a sellsword and another dude winning on one side of the map (the only place where they were), so I figure I will try to save them at least. Managed to get them to retreat. So by saving them, I keep all of my crossbowmen intact, and my sergeant was healing in camp, so I managed to save quite a few a dudes, but still, lost 8 prime killers. :(

:rage:

BanEvader

Aboot 40 bucks American for base game and all DLC. Looking for 100 plus hours of content. Worth it?
A single playthrough could take 100s of hours, theoretically. Then there's the dozen or so company origins that can alter the way you play the game pretty heavily (early to mid game) which might mean new playthroughs. Or you might play the game for 10 hours and decide you don't like it.
Pirate it, like it? Buy it.

Yeah, it's the kind of game where if it appeals to you, you can EASILY put in thousands of hours. One single campaign can take more time than entire other games. And then you will get inevitably fucked at some point and start a new campaign. This will repeat many times, making you into a more jaded person with less hair. But it's still damn fun.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
So why is this build so underrated by many?
Because it's a crappy build that only sort of 'works' because it has an exceptional Swordmaster as a base. But again, even the dumbest melee build will sort of 'work' with 95 attack and 66 defense.

The main point of pumping Initiative is not, as you say, for dodge (that extra amount of defense is negligible): it's in order to get the extra damage when you Lunge. You got a background that starts with a heavy penalty to Initiative and Fatigue, and that is going to get the Old trait, which means a further heavy penalty to Initiative and Fatigue. Once your Old Swordmaster has 95 starting Initiative, he will be 6 Initiative away from lunging with a penalty to damage, which will quickly become heavier and heavier, since between Lunge and Footwork this is a Fatigue-intensive build, without the stats to support it. So you are left to slash away with a not very good sword that has its main advantage turned into a disadvantage.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom