Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Caesar's Legion playstyle confirmed: http://battlebrothersgame.com/dev-blog-140-new-origins/

DEV BLOG #140: NEW ORIGINS

The upcoming ‘Blazing Deserts’ DLC will introduce new southern-themed company origins for you to pick from. This week we’re taking a closer look at what these are. Just keep in mind that things are in development and the specifics may still change. Let’s go!

THE SOUTHERN MERCENARIES
This is the southern variant of the ‘A New Company’ quickstart. It’s well-suited both for a southern-themed playthrough and for checking out right away many of the new things found in the south.

southern_02.jpg

Just as with the northern quickstart, you’ll start with three companions. They’re southerners, however, with southern gear and starting right next to one of the city states. Where to go from here is your choice; will you fight in the arena? Work for the Viziers of the city? Travel up north?

THE SLAVE DRIVERS
If you prefer to overwhelm your enemies with superior numbers, and the commander you’re playing as is ruthless enough not to mind using expendable troops, then this origin offers a fresh campaign experience. Loosely based on historic slave armies of the middle-east, you can have a company of expendable slaves that don’t get paid in crowns instead of relying on expensive sellswords that you can’t afford to lose.

slave_driver8.jpg

You’ll start with 2 slave-drivers and 4 slaves, and you can take up to 16 men into battle at once. Winning battles against human opponents will allow you to press any survivors into fighting for you in order to bolster your ranks as you go, and you can also just buy slaves in the city states. They’re treated harshly in your company, however, gaining experience at only half their normal rate and never surviving with a permanent injury if struck down. All those who are not slaves in your company gain a unique skill called ‘Whip Slave’, which instantly resets the morale of any slave within 3 tiles range to ‘Steady’ and gives them the ‘Whipped’ status effect. With a forceful reminder to give their everything for their masters, up to and including their lives, these slaves gain substantial bonuses in combat, the exact amount of which scales with the level of the character doing the whipping. Your men expect slaves to do the heavy lifting, and if there should ever be less slaves than non-slaves in your company, the men will get dissatisfied. Some northern backgrounds will also take offense with slavery and may not fit well with your company, lest you want to deal with it in events.

Rather than having a tightly knit team of experienced mercenaries, this origin promotes having a small team of slave drivers (of any background you want) and a mass of expendable troops to drown the enemy in numbers and to distract them. Because slaves get substantial bonuses from being whipped into line, even a fresh slave can instantly be a valuable asset, and lost slaves can easily be replaced. Essentially, as long as you keep your non-slaves alive and level them, they can uplift slaves to their level. Should a slave happen to survive long enough to gather experience and become good on their own, that’s a bonus, and you can always decide to grant a particular slave their freedom.

THE GLADIATORS
A different take on the popular ‘Lone Wolf’ origin, this origin has you start not with a hedge knight, but with three experienced gladiators. Once an unbeaten team in the arena, now starting a life as mercenaries, your three gladiators are at the very core of your company.

gladiators.jpg

Each of your three gladiators comes well-equipped and experienced. Like a team of bare-breasted superheroes, each one of them also brings a unique perk that aids them in combat and opens up new synergies. They’re the team, and everyone else you hire is just there for support and to make them look good. Spoiled by adoring fans and an expensive lifestyle, they demand high pay right from the start. Even though they will never desert you, and you can not fire them, they will suck your coffers dry with expensive spa visits and buying jewelry that spells their name if you don’t ensure a steady cash flow. Playing this origin, you essentially have three lives – should all three gladiators die, the company will be left without their icons and dissolve, and the campaign will end. And because this origin only ever allows you to have 12 men in your roster, there’s no putting them in the backline without leaving you at a disadvantage. Despite starting out with very strong characters, this origin is a challenge best suited for experienced players that know what they’re doing.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
though so far both the presented origins are many time smore interest than several of the ones in the game currently so gj

urmom

Learned

Murk

Arcane
Are there any structures/buildings in this game?

Nah, there are no "interior" maps. Hopefully if there is ever a BB2 we could get dungeons and ruins and stuff.
I would prefer fortifications and villages.
Still waiting for my epic battle for cabbage patch!
mockup_village4.jpg

I appreciate the concept, but a 1 hex choke point sounds miserable -- you will end up with units sitting around while the two in the bridge 1v1 each other with ranged support; something that often happens in forest maps now and is very frustrating (time consuming) to deal with.

Perhaps if the water is traversable but with a malus that gives you a chance to rush over, but this just seems like a "sit around and let the AI come to you" situation.

Having said that, it's not impossible -- age of wonders 1 is a hex based game with similarish (but much simpler) combat and it had interior maps and city maps and they worked. It was basically just "big boulders" or "clusters of trees" in the shape of a house or a wall, but eh, spices things up.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I appreciate the concept, but a 1 hex choke point sounds miserable -- you will end up with units sitting around while the two in the bridge 1v1 each other with ranged support; something that often happens in forest maps now and is very frustrating (time consuming) to deal with.

Perhaps if the water is traversable but with a malus that gives you a chance to rush over, but this just seems like a "sit around and let the AI come to you" situation.

Having said that, it's not impossible -- age of wonders 1 is a hex based game with similarish (but much simpler) combat and it had interior maps and city maps and they worked. It was basically just "big boulders" or "clusters of trees" in the shape of a house or a wall, but eh, spices things up.
I thought the water being traversable with some sort of malus was a given. Obviously a 1x1 chokepoint would be stupid, but I think this whole idea of defending a Town could be very cool, with the ability to add a lot of depth to the game. Imagine if buildings and doors were able to be interacted with and you could have fights going on in huts or in city streets? It'd be legendary, and it'd really spice the game up.

Murk

Arcane

I thought the water being traversable with some sort of malus was a given. Obviously a 1x1 chokepoint would be stupid, but I think this whole idea of defending a Town could be very cool, with the ability to add a lot of depth to the game. Imagine if buildings and doors were able to be interacted with and you could have fights going on in huts or in city streets? It'd be legendary, and it'd really spice the game up.

yeah, it's why I referenced AoW 1 (though 2 is just as well).

Breath_weapon_of_a_gold_dragon.jpg

Strip the specifics and take the layout then remake it in Battle Brothers' art and it could work quite well.

From Shadow Magic:

age-of-wonders-shadow-magic-9.jpg

It's also hex based and while the combat system is fundamentally different, the physical layouts can be matched and some of the same principles apply.

Murk

Arcane
Not for this game, probably not. But for whatever they do next, who knows.

Though I think it's very possible since they can just make a few maps where-in the map is set but "which" you get is randomized. Probably a modder could make it easily enough, though I don't know how much actual *fun* it would be when all's said and done.

Monolith

Prophet
Are there any structures/buildings in this game?
The DLC is supposed to introduce structures for certain type of camps or events, e.g. when attacking a Brigands camp, it can be fortified, creating some choke points and making going forward in close formation difficult. They don't want to overdo it though, mostly adding to the atmosphere and mixing it up.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
please I want to play reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom