Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Beastro

Arcane
Colour in the game isn't right. I've always found BFG to look best in black and white, like the previously posted pics like:
WurqyuD.jpg

Pre-dreadnought battleships. Also, lack of Z axis in BFG was because it would be a problem to represent it on a flat table. It would be different with a 3D computer game.

Nope, nope, nope. Those had castmate guns and turrets. BFG ships are clearly aping the Age of Sail gun deck aesthetics and not even the central battery layout.

The source material is schizo as hell, describing both math battles at millions of km and close quarter broadside volleys and ramming action.
Ramming isn't unfeasible in a space combat scenario. The current military thought on space combat is that the kinetic force of the missile's mass and acceleration would be far more damaging than any warhead..

Ramming = having to close a huge distance and when you hit you turn everyone on both ships to jelly from the speed of the impact.

Last edited:

orcinator

Liturgist
Also, lack of Z axis in BFG was because it would be a problem to represent it on a flat table. It would be different with a 3D computer game.

The ships are also designed around being used in a 2d space, making the game 3d would be stupid since the majority of the ships have all their guns on their sides and few have any guns on the bottom.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
The ships are also designed around being used in a 2d space, making the game 3d would be stupid since the majority of the ships have all their guns on their sides and few have any guns on the bottom.
Doesn't really matter. Putting guns only on sides is concentrating firepower that can be directed at one target. Rolling the ship to make the guns face the opponent, should be one of the easiest manoeuvres in space.
Of course, things could get interesting with attacks from different angles.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Angry Joe Calmed down and made a preview with the Devs. Apparently he is a huge WH40k and Gothic nerd.

Campaign has a non linear map. Interesting. And yous tart with 95% of the map already owned (EDIT: with one subsector out of 7), fight to keep it. Interesting. I thought god-emperor doesnt accept retreat. Then again - you only own one fleet, so I guess you lose systems while defending others.
EDIT: You have NPC allied admirals who sometimes lend a hand.

In general - promising.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I thought god-emperor doesnt accept retreat.
Sure he does. The Imperium isn't stupid, and it doesn't generally waste resources defending shitty systems that aren't worth the weapons and ammunition to save.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I got into the beta for this because people still think I'm a member of the gaming press. To add to my credentials, I know nothing about WH40k or RTS games.

I played two tutorial missions. The combat was very satisfying because of the sound design. All the weapon effects are powerful.

I would have gone further, but I encountered a bug. The script of the mission I was doing had me targeting various parts of a traitorous ship to keep it from damaging me. As I was fighting it, it attempted to go to warp. This prompted a tutorial message in extreme slow motion, with the people on my ships telling me to teleport over and stop it from escaping. However, the tooltip pointed at a "lightning strike" attack that was currently on cooldown. In fact, I couldn't find any teleportation attack. There was no way to get out of slow motion except to perform this teleportation attack, it seemed, so I was stuck waiting for two or three minutes while my ships fired in slow motion, eventually just destroying the enemy ship. I got a victory!

:happytrollboy:

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Yeah, I realized that teleportation was called lightning strike when I played it again today. I figured it was just, you know, some kind of electrical attack! Still, stupid that it didn't realize it was just making me wait forever...

bonescraper

and the single player game is RTwP, altho tbh the 'realtime' in the game is p slow
Why do people keep saying that? It's real time with slow motion if anything. Pressing space slows down time, it doesn't pause the game.

bonescraper

It's good. Should you get it now? Dunno, mind that the beta is still quite buggy and some people report frequent crashes due to some error (never happened to me).

The production values are top notch though, something i didn't expect from this game tbh (published by Focus Interactive and developed by some unknown people with a poor track record so far). The art rivals or even surpasses Relic, so does the music (same composer?). The graphics are really nice, there's a lot of fun shit when it comes to fleet and ship management. But, if you don't know it already, understand that this is a naval combat game set in space. If you're expecting realistic, three-dimensional depiction of space warfare, you won't find it here. If you don't mind that, you'll have tons of fun. Combat itself is more tactical than strategic. It's all about positioning, range, skill management etc. It's not just point and cick and whatch the fireworks. It's all about micromanagement, that's why it's pretty engaging.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
bonescraper did you play tabletop? If yes, are rules close to it?

From what Ive seen from angryjoe preview it seems the case which makes me very excited. GW has really decent and thiughtful rules they are just clunky to use RL, which actually makes them perfect for a PC game.

And honestly - if anybody expects 3D from a tabletop-made-into-vidyagame.. just die.

fastjack

Augur

From what Ive seen from angryjoe preview it seems the case which makes me very excited. GW has really decent and thiughtful rules they are just clunky to use RL, which actually makes them perfect for a PC game.

I am surprised how many of the rules seem to have been straight ported from the TT or are least very similar. For instance they have the special orders and they share a 2 minute cooldown but there is no chance to 'fail' to implement them and some things that were special orders like 'all ahead full' have a different mechanic. Also the fact that the movement isn't turnbased makes it feel a lot less tactical than the TT (obviously I suppose).

Having played BFG on the tabletop (and not Starfleet Battles), it seems as faithful as the Starfleet Command videogames if that helps.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Pre-dreadnought battleships. Also, lack of Z axis in BFG was because it would be a problem to represent it on a flat table. It would be different with a 3D computer game.

Nope, nope, nope. Those had castmate guns and turrets. BFG ships are clearly aping the Age of Sail gun deck aesthetics and not even the central battery layout.

[

BFG has always been a rules update to man'o'war, set in spaaaaaaaace. It's pre-/early age of sail with warhammer magic and space theme tacked on. That is why the rules and lore are so schizophrenic

bonescraper

Nah, i haven't.

Anyway, this whole realistic space warfare discussion you guys have here is quite amusing. Like Warhammer 40k is the best place to do that, you know, the universe with logic defying Orks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom