Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Beastro

Arcane
Nope, nope, nope. Those had castmate guns and turrets. BFG ships are clearly aping the Age of Sail gun deck aesthetics and not even the central battery layout.
Many BFG ships do have turrets. Many Chaos ships actually have multiple large turrets on sides.

And here is how imperial weapons batteries look:
http://static.planetminecraft.com/f...creenshot/1218/Battlefleet_gothic_2163613.jpg

I'm aware of that, but they're nothing reflecting real designs and are a hybrid mix of both that's ultimately neither.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Release date pushed to 21st April. Notes on next beta patch. Note how often they use TT as a reason to do something :incline:

Greetings Admirals!

Thanks again for the huge array of responses we’ve received since the launch of the Battlefleet Gothic: Armada beta!

It's amazing to see your enthusiasm towards our game. Be sure that we read everything and use your reports to improve the game.

Our top priorities are bug fixing and balancing, and the fact that you continue playing is priceless for us. Based on your feedback, here is a glimpse of what's coming in the next patch!

Torpedoes:
- Now have armor piercing. (Reducing the enemy armor to 25%)

Nova Cannon:
- Minimal range increase from 5000 to 6000.
- Slightly increase the dispersion radius.
- Slightly decrease the epicenter. (Area that deal max damage)

Chaos rework:
- Add more Chaos macro turrets variation in order to fit with the rulebook range stats.
- Add new heavy missile pods to the Chaos weaponry in order to fit with the rulebook firepower stats. (DPS: 3)
- Add a missile pod (range 6000) to the Slaughter/Devastation.
- Add a heavy missile pod (range 9000) to the Acheron.
- Add a super heavy missile pod (range 12000) to the Carnage/Styx.
- Add 2 heavy missile (range 12000) pod to the Desolator.
- Slaughter speed have been increase by 50.
- Light macro turret are now called Light missile pod.
- Missile pod rate of fire is now 6.
- Twin linked battery rate of fire is now 3.
- Iconoclast now have 6 missile pod instead of 9.
- Chaos heavy macro battery no longer have 12 attacks but 8.
- Chaos heavy lances battery no longer exist. All Chaos heavy lances occurrences are replaced by Chaos lances battery.
- Chaos heavy launch bay no longer exist. All Chaos heavy launch bay occurrences are replaced by Chaos launch bay.
- Add a prow launch bay to the Chaos weaponry that count as 2 launch bay.
- Add a prow launch bay to the despoiler.
- Replace the twin linked battery of the Devastation by a lance battery.
- Chaos macro battery rate of fire is now 5.
- Chaos heavy macro battery rate of fire is now 6.
- All point costs have been modified to fit with new stats values.

With those changes, Chaos will fit more to the stats of the TT. For most ship it's a up!
Most important thing is the addition of a new missile pods and the range variation on macro turrets that allow us to perfectly match the firepower and arc of fire of Chaos ships that you find in the BFG rulebook.
The DPS of the weapons match the firepower of the TT. The only exception was some Chaos ships for various technical reasons. It will no longer be the case in the next patch.

Retribution:
- Retribution speed have been increase by 50.

Next focus regarding balancing will be on missions.

Glory to the Emperor!

Tindalos Interactive & Focus Home Interactive

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Well, just won 3 multiplayer games vs chaos. Mission type was cruiser clash and I was defending player. Chaos players all took a beating from my imperial cruisers, then they decided to go "hahaha, I am faster! Look at me run away!"

20 minutes later I won by default since I couldn't catch up with them even if I could be bothered and defending player wins a draw.
3 matches like that and yeah... Game needs a way to handle stalling better than bringing torpedoes and hoping you get lucky. Stasis bombbs couldn't be placed far enough athead of him - he'd just boost through the AoE and then I'd have to go the long way around.

It does feel a lot like tabletop though, even if it's realtime.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Big problem men.

Autocast is 2gud. You can set boarding to autocast. Orders to autocast. Repairs to autocast... You can even set AoE things you're mean tto yourself to autocast and the AI will place them for you. But instead of castign while on cooldown, it'll only cast when it's actually useful. Automating a lot of the game for you with little to no penalty.
If you build a fleet around it (say, orks), it's possible to autocast pretty much everything, blob at your opponent and probably win. They definitely need to tweak this. for instance, if you set "brace for impact" to autocast, it'll only trigger if an enemy ship is super close. If you set repairs to autocast, it will trigger the instant it won't cause over-repairs. Autocast torpedoes only fire if they're likely to hit things. It's madness D:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Big problem men.

Autocast is 2gud. You can set boarding to autocast. Orders to autocast. Repairs to autocast... You can even set AoE things you're mean tto yourself to autocast and the AI will place them for you. But instead of castign while on cooldown, it'll only cast when it's actually useful. Automating a lot of the game for you with little to no penalty.
If you build a fleet around it (say, orks), it's possible to autocast pretty much everything, blob at your opponent and probably win. They definitely need to tweak this. for instance, if you set "brace for impact" to autocast, it'll only trigger if an enemy ship is super close. If you set repairs to autocast, it will trigger the instant it won't cause over-repairs. Autocast torpedoes only fire if they're likely to hit things. It's madness D:
Praise the Omnissiah

Beastro

Arcane
Well, just won 3 multiplayer games vs chaos. Mission type was cruiser clash and I was defending player. Chaos players all took a beating from my imperial cruisers, then they decided to go "hahaha, I am faster! Look at me run away!"

20 minutes later I won by default since I couldn't catch up with them even if I could be bothered and defending player wins a draw.
3 matches like that and yeah... Game needs a way to handle stalling better than bringing torpedoes and hoping you get lucky. Stasis bombbs couldn't be placed far enough athead of him - he'd just boost through the AoE and then I'd have to go the long way around.

It does feel a lot like tabletop though, even if it's realtime.

This is where RTS' need a overarching strategic objective and inject some Mahanian thinking into the mix.

In that case you're the defending player - what are you defending? Why is it a draw if you successfully defended, that's a victory (BS game design there, force the attacker to not do what they did, MAKE them sacrifice units to try and win against their better judgement, wtf do you think actually happens in war).

What you describe just shows half the reason why speed is so limited int he sense most people think in naval warfare - getting to somewhere quick that's defended by a more powerful, but slow enemy means little, just it does being a fast defender against a slow marching enemy that you can't compete against, they'll just get to their objective and take it as you ineffectually harass them.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
root

Right-click the icon and the game will use the ability automatically when it makes sense

Beastro

There are a bunch of mission objectives. Except in cruiser clash, which unfortunately seems to be the most common

vonAchdorf

Arcane
A different studio just announced a "faithful turn-based" version of BFG for – mobile.

a Turn Based Strategy game • in Warhammer 40,000 • for Mobile & tablet
Play the faithful digital version on mobile & tablet of the famous tabletop miniatures game, Battlefleet Gothic, set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe. In this turn based strategy game of epic spaceship battles, use strategy to manage your warships through the system, protect the Imperium, improve your gigantic fleets and annihilate the Tyranids before it's too late...

Turn Based Strategy game
Play the faithful version of Battlefleet Gothic from Games Workshop, the closest adaptation of the turn based strategy tabletop game on your mobile
Based on Shield of Baal campaign
In accordance with the original story, relive the immense battles in the grim darkness of the Warhammer 40,000 Shield of Baal campaign as lived from space

rqFaUcR.png

http://www.battlefleetgothic-leviathan.com

Shadenuat

Arcane
Game looks neat, but it seems a bit 2d, rather than 3d and looks like a nice sea battle simulator, but instead of sea you get space.

Also, why with all the diverse races in the WH40k universe, you always get the same package in video games? Ork, Eldar, Chaos and Imperium, couldn't they change Eldar to Tau or anybody else?
Tau don't really have a good enough fleet.

Although since they didn't seem to include anything that actually makes eldar fleet unique on the table, anyone could have replaced them, like necrons.

Drakron

Arcane
Also, why with all the diverse races in the WH40k universe, you always get the same package in video games? Ork, Eldar, Chaos and Imperium, couldn't they change Eldar to Tau or anybody else?

Here is the simple reason, this is based on the rulebook of the same name that only covered those factions and the campaign was the Gothic War, same with the game

I checked and supplements published later simply revised or expanded on those initial factions, there is simply nothing to work with and they would have to basically come up with pretty much everything statswise, you are asking them to go down the Blood Ravens route that not everyone appreciated but in a much worst way because, Space Marines Chapters arent that hard to create (since there are rules for that even) but having to pull out of your ass stats on units based on what some novel said and having to keep in line with a rulebook that never covered them? thats a much tougher act.

That makes the "faithful turn-based" kinda funny since it might be RTS but they are trying to stick close to the rulebook as they are pretty much making shit up since as far I can tell, there is nothing outside Imperium, Chaos, Ork and Eldar ships.

Moink

Cipher
Necrons are pretty much a given to be in the game at some point, there's even a c'tan in the intro.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Necron ships were hella cheesy in tabletop. It's a shame Eldar ships don't have the unique movement rules in this game, since that made them somewhat interesting.

Tytus

Arcane
Necron ships were hella cheesy in tabletop. It's a shame Eldar ships don't have the unique movement rules in this game, since that made them somewhat interesting.

They tried to replace it with a their own shield system. Eldars ships only have shields when they move, so this will be a fleet heavy on micromanaging and maneuvers.

Norfleet

Big problem men.

You're complaining that the unit AI isn't retarded and that they can actually do their jobs without you having to manually operate every single gun on every single ship? I'm all for being an Admiral instead of the Captain Of Every Ship for once.

In that case you're the defending player - what are you defending? Why is it a draw if you successfully defended, that's a victory (BS game design there, force the attacker to not do what they did, MAKE them sacrifice units to try and win against their better judgement, wtf do you think actually happens in war).
Is this not what he said happened?
Seems to me that it worked correctly: He won, because the defending player wins in the event of a draw.

What you describe just shows half the reason why speed is so limited int he sense most people think in naval warfare - getting to somewhere quick that's defended by a more powerful, but slow enemy means little, just it does being a fast defender against a slow marching enemy that you can't compete against, they'll just get to their objective and take it as you ineffectually harass them.
The flip side of the coin is that guns and armor don't matter if you cannot get to the battle. Which is why historically, people have tried to make their ships go as fast as they can possibly get them to go without making them fold like tin cans, with significant strategic and tactical advantages gained by by being able to be faster than your enemy.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
People with less autism than Norfleet may recognise that 20 minutes of flying in circles along the edge of the map is not a very entertaining game

Beastro

Arcane
Watching LPs of this makes me hope someone makes mods of 19th Century naval warfare. Wouldn't need much to turn it into some fun ironclad and iron frigate warfare.

lissa1.jpg

Drakron

Arcane
People with less autism than Norfleet may recognise that 20 minutes of flying in circles along the edge of the map is not a very entertaining game

And people that actually played the Eldar can recognize how full of shit you are.

Here is a hint, they only have forward weapons ... thats it (outside hangars).

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

And people that actually played the Eldar can recognize how full of shit you are.

Here is a hint, they only have forward weapons ... thats it (outside hangars).

The match in question was empire vs chaos

Drakron

Arcane
The match in question was empire vs chaos

Chaos is long range, Imperium is balanced meaning if the Imperium player goes for a range build then its basically going to turn into long range battles since Chaos isnt going to close in and the Imperium ships are trying to take advantage of their longer range build, they arent going to close in either (assuming Chaos would let them).

War isnt entertaining, its effectiveness ... your complain is saying WW II in the Pacific wasnt entertaining because ships rarely entered gun range,this aint eSports were the goal is the audience being entertained.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
As long as we both agree that the game isn't entertaining as it is right now, I guess it's up to you wether you want to pay for it

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Hi,

For those who already received and activated their Steam review codes for Battlefleet Gothic, the version will be available in a few hours and will automatically appear in your Steam library!

If you haven’t asked us for a steam code yet, please reply to this e-mail and ask for codes.

Before you get your hands on the game, please remember:
  • The embargo for the publication of reviews ends on Thursday April 21 at 10am PST/6pm GMT/7pm CET - This is when the full game becomes available on Steam
  • a review code opens two Steam library entries
Entry #1 = Battlefleet Gothic Armada (The Beta) including:
  • The game’s four fleets (Imperium, Eldars, Orks and Chaos)
  • The game’s tutorial, which is also the campaign prologue.
  • 1 vs 1 skirmishes against other players online.
  • 1 vs 1 skirmishes against the AI.
Play the beta when testing multiplayer, as a lot of players are on these servers.

Entry #2 = Battlefleet Gothic : Armada (Press). (The Review version) including:
  • The game’s four fleets (Imperium, Eldars, Orks and Chaos)
  • The full solo campaign.
  • 1 vs 1 skirmishes against other players online.
  • 1 vs 1 skirmishes against the AI.
  • 2 vs 2 skirmishes against other players.
Play the Press version to enjoy the full solo campaign and additional multiplayer modes. This entry will be activated today Thursday April 14 around 9am PST/5pm GMT/6pm CET.

Please be aware that there are still issues currently being fixed. For instance, the 2v2 mode may encounter some issues when teaming up with a friend in matchmaking.
These issues are being addressed at the moment and will be fixed for launch. The option to create a game to play against a friend will also be available shortly after launch.

Beastro

Arcane
Both of those are Age of Sail combat games, was thinking more early steam/armoured warships.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom