Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BattleTech Pre-Release Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
UPDATE - Released: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-mech-combat-from-harebrained-schemes.121538/

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...oot-could-be-battletech-or-crimson-skies.aspx

Harebrained Schemes Hints At Another Classic IP Reboot, Could Be BattleTech Or Crimson Skies

Earlier today, we posted an interview with Harebrained Schemes as it looks back on Kickstarter success three years later. During that conversation, studio co-founders Jordan Weisman and Mitch Gitelman teased some big news for the developer.

Harebrained Schemes is growing. In just three years, the studio has expanded from eight employees to nearly sixty. It’s considering more growth tied to an upcoming project.

“There’s a very real chance of us pushing the size of the studio just a little bit more,” says co-founder Mitch Gitelman. “What’s great is that we greenlit this original IP, Necropolis, but there are other IPs that we’ve created in the past that we are very interested in. Maybe soon.”

Weisman put a finer point on it for is. “We’re not going to say yet, but one of my old children may be coming home to roost,” he adds.

Looking at Weisman’s history, two candidates stand out: BattleTech and Crimson Skies.

We reached out to Piranha Games, the developer behind MechWarrior Online. A representative confirmed that Piranha Games and former development partner Infinite Games Publishing amicably split last year. Piranha purchased IGP’s share of the rights at that time.

Since then, Piranha added a number of community features, including Community Warfare (faction-based territorial combat in a persistent war), and the game continues to thrive. Weisman supported the development of MechWarrior Online from the beginning, helping Piranha license BattleTech from Microsoft.

It’s entirely possible that Weisman and Harebrained Schemes are looking to do something more strategic with the BattleTech property (in a 2012 AMA, Weisman said he’d love to return to a MechCommander style game). Also, with the success of Golem Arcana (a miniatures game with app integration), lumbering, heavily armed mechs could return to the tabletop.

The same could be said of Crimson Skies. It could re-emerge as an action title as it was on Xbox, a strategy RPG, or a tabletop game.

We probably have some time to wait before Harebrained Schemes is ready to pull the curtain back much more. However, a return to either of these franchises certainly has us excited.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I'm curious how they would do a proper BattleTech RPG - though it will be probably the other one.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Harebrained Schemes is growing. In just three years, the studio has expanded from eight employees to nearly sixty. It’s considering more growth tied to an upcoming project.

Holy shit, those Shadowrun games must've sold way better than I have thought. The incline is real and here to stay.

A BattleTech strategy game would be glorious, I still have very fond memories of MechCommander (even though I doubt it would be anything like that).

DeepOcean

Arcane
Oh boy! Something else for them to mismanage the funding of!
I wouldn't count on this, on their last kickstarter they avoided overpromising despite all the demands of new features and revised their project management as they themselves admitted they did waste alot of time with things they had to cut from DMS, they seem to be planning funding better this time. Honestly, I'm very excited for HK and it maybe the first big budget kickstarter RPG to be good on 2015. They even abandoned the damn tablets what is a huge incline.

Telengard

Arcane
I wouldn't mind an actual Crimson Skies strategy game., FASA version. But another stunt-plane-shooter with fake low air ceilings? Or a game based on the new(er) pnp version? Psh. Both can go do in a fire.

Riskbreaker

Quite opposite for me: I would kill for another arcade flight action akin to old Crimson Skies.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Holy shit, those Shadowrun games must've sold way better than I have thought. The incline is real and here to stay.

Well, they also have Golem Arcana (yes, apparently that wasn't a failure). There's also the possibility that their other game, Necropolis, is actually getting some sort of external investor funding. Seeing as it's the only one they haven't Kickstarted.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Delivar SR:Hong Kong first, then start hype about a new game.

Shannow

Waster of Time
MechCommander or MechWarrior would both be great. But both would be very different beasts from what I know from HBS.
Both should also be popamole enough to get publisher funding. I always wondered why there wasn't really anything done with that in the last years. (Not counting MW Online.)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
tabletop and PC gaming needs to be separate, just like the church and state.
this fucking teasing of what could be some tabletop garbage in the pc games news space needs to be punished FFS!!!!

Gozma

Arcane
Battletech from before they started burying it in metaplot when it was designed to be feudal mercenary with giant robots simulator. Structured kinda like Pirates!

And pay for jap mecha designs for God's sake, there have to be 50 year old Japanese nerds that will draft a good looking mech for a pack of cigarettes. You know damn well everything looked bad besides the stuff pulled from jap mecha cartoons.

No more lumpy American shit robots from guys that couldn't not fuck up symmetry and perspective ten times before breakfast! no more!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

This is not confirming anything but Microsoft is the owner of FASA IPs anyway.

roshan

Arcane
I wonder what Harebrained needs 60 employees for? Perhaps they have gotten involved in some kind of publisher/popamole contract that we still don't know anything about.

Athelas

Arcane
I wonder what Harebrained needs 60 employees for? Perhaps they have gotten involved in some kind of publisher/popamole contract that we still don't know anything about.
necropolis03.jpg

DeepOcean

Arcane
Hong Kong, eletronic board game and rogue like hack n' slash to pay the bills. I wouldn't be surprised if they made a mechcommander style game after the rogue like thing is done.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Mm. Maybe HBS is what Microsoft had in mind when they said they intended on taking PC gaming more seriously.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom