Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Beamdog working on a new D&D CRPG (cancelled)

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
How well was F4 played by the RPG crowd anyway, as anybody could see it was an RPG only under a very loose definition of the term

With F3, people at least had hope

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Planescape: Unraveled?
Planescape: Un-Ravel-ed :M

latest

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would buy a David Gaider Planescape game. Frankly, I’d love it if dozens of games used the Planescape setting. It’s massively superior to the forgotten realms but 90% of RPGs are either forgotten realms or a forgotten realms derivative.

MCA would be better, but Beamdog clearly hired Gaider to do this game and he’s solid. Not great, but I doubt he’ll make a travesty.
And write he did.

ArchAngel

Arcane
A new Planescape game would explain why Gayder would switch from Bioware that has been making their own version of Forgotten Realms D&D like game for years to Beamdog.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm pretty pleased to see that my theories about the market potential for a Torment-esque game are going to be put to to the test. :cool:

Though watch as Beamdog releases a disappointment and the fanatics say "that doesn't count either."

Rev

Arcane
I'm pretty pleased to see that my theories about the market potential for a Torment-esque game are going to be put to to the test. :cool:

Though watch as Beamdog releases a disappointment and the fanatics say "that doesn't count either."
Beamdog is a little company that most gamers don't know about, their games failing wouldn't prove much. Even in the "indie" scene, they are nowhere near Larian or Obsidian in terms of fame and fanbase.

Cael

Arcane
Beamdog is a little company that most gamers don't know about, their games failing wouldn't prove much. Even in the "indie" scene, they are nowhere near Larian or Obsidian in terms of fame and fanbase.
Beamdog is behind some of the greatest CRPG hypes in the last few years, starting with BG:EE and going all the way to BG:SoDS and beyond. It is not what I would call an unknown...
Plus Oster, Gaider and Avellone are not exactly unknowns either.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Just because it is in Planescape setting it does not mean it is a Torment like game.
It could as easily be a plane hopping BG like game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

The trans character in Siege of Dragonspear made them quite infamous. :)

As far as Enhanced Edition sales on Steam go
BG: 653,321 ± 24,557
BG2: 463,413 ± 20,686
IWD: 144,726 ± 11,564
PST: 41,557 ± 6,197

Those aren't nothing-numbers (except for Torment of course)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Don't know why. The Girdle has been around since the day DOT of DnD...

It's bothersome pandering when you talk to a character who looks like a woman and they tell you they were born male.

Cael

Arcane
It's bothersome pandering when you talk to a character who looks like a woman and they tell you they were born male.
You have to make allowances for writers who are uncertain or ashamed of their sexuality that they are trying to express via their characters :D

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
They're this big only because there are no separate stats for vanilla BG. You can't buy not "enhanced " BG or IWD digitally anymore. If not for that it would most likely be closer to what Planescape: Torment achieved:

ArchAngel

Arcane
They're this big only because there are no separate stats for vanilla BG. You can't buy not "enhanced " BG or IWD digitally anymore. If not for that it would most likely be closer to what Planescape: Torment achieved:
That is only true for GoG. On Steam only BG1EE and BG2EE ever existed.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Non-Enhanced BG was available for sale on GOG for a very long time (years) after BG:EE was released. The EE still sold hundreds of thousands of copies.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
That's the point, that's why it sold so well, most people still prefer Steam over GOG (and don't even have GOG accounts) and there are millions of BG fans.

ArchAngel

Arcane
That's the point, that's why it sold so well, most people still prefer Steam over GOG (and don't even have GOG accounts) and there are millions of BG fans.
So you are saying that people bought BG1EE because they could not buy BG1 on Steam? And that even with having access to BG1 on GoG and not buying it there they would choose to buy BG1 on Steam over BG1EE if they had that option?

That is a huge IF and not supported by anything but your imagination. And a even bigger if for a person that spends every day on Codex and has spearhead the hate and anti EE movement here. You and others like you are a proof that hate of EE is such that people that only wanted BG1 would go and buy that on GoG.
Others don't care to mod BG1 and play BG1EE instead.

Last edited:

Rev

Arcane

The trans character in Siege of Dragonspear made them quite infamous. :)

Those aren't nothing-numbers (except for Torment of course)
Yeah, they sold a lot because BG is a strong name and even non-fans heard of it and wanted to buy it, not because people knew Beamdog and wanted to buy their games.
The other remasters were less successful not because they're less known or loved than BG1 (BG2 sold less on Steam but almost everyone prefers it over its predecessor) but rather because of the "fatigue" towards these EE operations and because of the high number of competing "indie" rpg releases. In fact, if Planescape had been their first EE and if it was released in 2012 (just like BG1:EE) instead of 2017 it would most likely be their most successful title, instead of BG1.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Since this is their first game production from scratch, I guess doing a Planescape game makes some sense. People would expect more features and "full-fledged RPG experience" from a Forgotten Realms game, which probably not feasible for current size and experience of Beamdog.

hell bovine

Arcane
I would buy a David Gaider Planescape game. Frankly, I’d love it if dozens of games used the Planescape setting. It’s massively superior to the forgotten realms but 90% of RPGs are either forgotten realms or a forgotten realms derivative.

MCA would be better, but Beamdog clearly hired Gaider to do this game and he’s solid. Not great, but I doubt he’ll make a travesty.
If only he went back to combat encounter design... :argh: Actually, what I'd really like is a dungeon crawl based in the PST setting. Heck, they could even add premade NPCs, as long as you could create your own party like in IWD. Not likely to happen, though

Fairfax

Arcane

I'm fairly certain it'll have very few of the elements that made PS:T what it was, and it definitely won't have the things PS:T had going for it. So you're right, it won't count either. +M

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom