Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Beautiful Desolation – Post-apocalyptic adventure from creators of Stasis, now on Kickstarter!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Beautiful Desolation; STASIS; The Brotherhood

We at RPG Codex sometimes stretch our coverage by highlighting interesting things happening outside the realm of classic computer role-playing games. Today I'd like to highlight an adventure game. Not uncommonly featuring plenty of dialogue, puzzles, choices and consequences – these games can have many qualities in common with the very best cRPGs. The staff had discussions, way back in time, about starting an Adventure Games Codex, but as we're already stretching our resources thin with the extremely active and prosperous Tacticular Cancer, we decided not to.

Featuring great visuals, some damn brutal death animations, and music by Mark Morgan (Fallout, Planescape: Torment), Stasis was crowdfunded in 2013 and released in 2015. The brother duo behind it, The Brotherhood (with one half being the fantastic digital artist and Codexer Pyke), are now back at it with another Kickstarter campaign for their next game: Beautiful Desolation.

15443.png

Again featuring fantastic isometric visuals, Beautiful Desolation takes place in a post-apocalyptic world with vibrant colors and sci-fi gizmos and creatures. Expect a bigger emphasis on exploration and weirdness this time around, and perhaps fewer horror elements and jump scares.

Here's an informative bullet-point list from the Kickstarter page:
  • Point-and-click adventure game
  • 80s retro technology look and feel
  • A story set in a post-apocalyptic future
  • 2D isometric, detailed rendered environments
  • African landscapes captured with photogrammetry
  • Extensive use of miniatures and scale model elements
  • Unique tribal punk aesthetic
  • Bizarre creatures and animals, and vibrant characters
  • From the creators of STASIS and CAYNE
They started the Kickstarter earlier this month but there's still 18 days to go. Check it out, and don't forget to try their recently released adventure game Caynefor free!

Thanks agris!

agris

Arcane
Patron
Zed being a fucking bro. :salute:

edit:

Here's a screenshot of the body horror in the free Stasis follow-up CAYNE:

FHITamQ.jpg

And some shots from Beautiful Desolation

xyhAomy.jpg

693aCpU.gif

jMWMSTN.jpg

More to see here.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Enjoyed Stasis - and it was also a game that asked for funding it needed then delivered on it, no fuss. Given all that, it seems criminal for me to not back this ahead of the bigger campaigns.

Doesn't hurt that it looks. Fucking. Awesome.

polo

Magister
Looking beautiful as everything you do. Nice job.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Pledge $2,199 or more

COMMUNITY EDITION

This tier is specially for game sites or groups that want to feature in DESOLATION and does not include previous rewards.

We will provide you with 25 game keys for your community (beta enabled).

We will also dedicated an entire game area to your community and in this area we will erect a sculpture of your choice. You will send us a reference image (within reason) of your logo or a symbol of your choosing. This area will feature a plaque with your dedication on it - it will include 50 members names as well as a phrase of your choosing.

We will integrate this sculpture into the game scenery and build a legend around it.​

:hmmm:

Are there enough sheeple interested in a Codex KickStarter Campaign for this? If I get 50 sheeples, I'll start one.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pledge $2,199 or more

COMMUNITY EDITION

This tier is specially for game sites or groups that want to feature in DESOLATION and does not include previous rewards.

We will provide you with 25 game keys for your community (beta enabled).

We will also dedicated an entire game area to your community and in this area we will erect a sculpture of your choice. You will send us a reference image (within reason) of your logo or a symbol of your choosing. This area will feature a plaque with your dedication on it - it will include 50 members names as well as a phrase of your choosing.

We will integrate this sculpture into the game scenery and build a legend around it.​

:hmmm:

Are there enough sheeple interested in a Codex KickStarter Campaign for this? If I get 50 sheeples, I'll start one.
Hey why not.

Pentagon

Educated
I enjoyed STASIS, although I could see the ending coming from a mile away. This looks like a quality follow-up.

aratuk

Cipher
The Stasis Kickstarter was well-executed. The developer was an unknown, so he did it right by showing up with a demo. People gave him money, and he cranked out the game in a timely manner. Afterward, he also responded unusually well to criticism. Some people were pretty harsh, but they made solid points, and Bischoff didn't get defensive or butthurt over it.

Of the multiple ongoing Kickstarters, this one seems the most worthy. Except for Apocalypse Now, but it might be less likely to be realized…

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The dev of stasis is exemplary, and of course I am going to back this.

Stasis as a game, was decent, not amazing but enjoyable, I hope he can continue to learn and end with a bigger company making superb games, because he have the talent to do it.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
The Stasis Kickstarter was well-executed. The developer was an unknown, so he did it right by showing up with a demo. People gave him money, and he cranked out the game in a timely manner. Afterward, he also responded unusually well to criticism. Some people were pretty harsh, but they made solid points, and Bischoff didn't get defensive or butthurt over it.

Of the multiple ongoing Kickstarters, this one seems the most worthy. Except for Apocalypse Now, but it might be less likely to be realized…

Thanks for this! Im always very aware of taking crit well. I think that being a commercial artist for almost half my life has helped. I really appreciate it when people take the time to suggest improvements - I know that it often comes from a place of wanting a better product - and its hard to argue with people who want you to make better things!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom