Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION - isometric post-apocalyptic adventure from STASIS developer

agris

Arcane
Patron
Talking about writing always sounds so douchey.
Yup, but the potential knock-on effects are worth it imo. Telling people it's ok to not stick to the script may sound like a simple thing, but there's a lot of people making games these days who have a paint-by-numbers or Taylorist approach. Your words contribute to a collective counter-balance to that mentality... but unfortunately the price you pay is to feel a bit like a douche. Kinda like a lot of professional activities, tbh.

You and Nick are doing good work. :salute:

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Coming February: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...n-isometric-post-apocalyptic-ad/posts/2660063

Update!

Hi Guys, Nic here!

As we’re now slap-dab in the middle of Q4 and haven't released Beautiful Desolation yet, you may be scratching your heads asking, where is this game?!

Fear not! As we mentioned in the last update, we’re in the final stages of getting this project out of the door and into your hands. The adventure game is now complete and playable from start to end. Woohoo!

Currently the voice actors are wrapping up their incredible performances. With over 50 fully voiced characters and 1000s of lines, you can imagine this is a lot of admin to navigate. Most voice files are in our hands, and it’s our Mark’s character lines that are currently being recorded.

We have well-known South African, Ian Cullen, voicing Don, and as for Mark... we’ll give you more surprise details soon.

The brilliant Ryan Cooper (you’ll remember from STASIS and CAYNE), and his brother Glen are on the cast. As well as the talented Sarah Williams, who voiced Hadley in CAYNE (as well as a million other TV shows and animated productions).

The performances are outstanding - beyond anything we could have imagined. You know that the writing and acting is good when a voice actor chokes up and holds back a tear! Many actors have lent their voices and given our characters life. We can't wait for you to hear them.

The next step - after voice acting - are the translations. Voice actors sometimes change a few words to suit the scene and character while delivering their lines, and these changes need to be reflected in the written text. Once we have all the voice acting, we’ll farm out the translation work which could take up to a month with the word count we’re sitting at.

We’ve pegged the tentative public release date at the end February 2020, which is only a few months away... Don’t worry Beta backers, you will play the game sufficiently before anybody else ;)

Backer surveys to confirm the names for the credits will be done next month (so check your messages from The Brotherhood and Kickstarter). A few backer tiers have completed this already, so everyone else take note.

We have also updated our website in anticipation of the game launch. The Desolation page is going to get some fancy love closer to release.

https://www.thebrotherhoodgames.com

We are very excited,

Chat soon,

The Bros

PS

Follow me on Twitter as I post every other day:

https://twitter.com/stasisgame?lang=en

Don't forget to wishlist on Steam, every wishlist pushes the game exposure ranking up a little:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/912570/BEAUTIFUL_DESOLATION/

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
The performances are outstanding - beyond anything we could have imagined. You know that the writing and acting is good when a voice actor chokes up and holds back a tear! Many actors have lent their voices and given our characters life. We can't wait for you to hear them.

I need a hug.... Please... I need children's television.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Let's just hope they can finish the game with solar panels, or get it out the door before the post apoc arrives... :salute:
https://mybroadband.co.za/news/energy/324320-eskoms-medupi-nightmare.html

Good luck bros

You joke, but we actually spoke a while back about converting our office into a power neutral place with solar panels. Its just too expensive. We have large UPS's that give us about 6 hours of power on a single recharge.

Pyke is gone.

lightbane

Arcane
I hope you get to finish the game before the machete rape gangs problems of your country catch up with you. It would be a bad way to die and you wouldn't get international coverage because it would be considered racist or something like that.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
South Africa is in more of a slow decline. Like, I think that the international coverage can feel very intense, but this is a big country of 57 000 000 people... shit's gonna happen daily, and with the 24 hour news cycle everything gets reported on.
There is some good stuff happening. Our main opposition party recently went through a big shake up because they were loosing too much support - so hopefully they can pull us from the brink of chaos. I mean they won't, because they are all politicians, and all politicians are evil... but a man can dream!

Biggest concern for me isn't really the social issues, but rather the infrastructure. Water and power. Its becoming harder and harder to effectively run a business with any sort of consistency when you don't know if you're gonna have electricity next week. Or tomorrow. Or this afternoon.
We had a huge drought, and everyone panicked for a few months... then the rains came and people stopped panicking. The thing is that it was that sort of panic that made people more accountable. Suddenly the government was looking into other forms of water reclamation, people were putting in their own well points, they were cancelling large events because of the environmental impact. Those things were good because they were shedding light on some rather huge problems in the Western Cape. BUT as soon as the rains came, all of those issues simply 'vanished.'
I would put a pay check on the next drought happening and not ONE of those water reclamation projects that everyone was so supportive of actually happening. Then there will be some news article about how a few billion rand that was earmarked for water projects has evaporated, and the cycle will start again.

WallaceChambers

Learned
Quick question about the game and apologies in advanced if this has been answered somewhere in the thread already; but does this game have combat? I was surprised to see some in a trailer I'd watched recently and was wondering if that was a main part of the game or not.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Quick question about the game and apologies in advanced if this has been answered somewhere in the thread already; but does this game have combat? I was surprised to see some in a trailer I'd watched recently and was wondering if that was a main part of the game or not.

There is combat in the game, but its optional. There are a lot of choices with consequences in the game, and engaging in combat, or choosing to not engaging in combat will alter the direction of the story. :)

Neanderthal

Arcane
Speaking of voice acting I just finished Stasis again for Halloween and John's voice actor really knocked it outta park, started game a bit wobbly (intentionally?) but near ending he was giving one hell of a performance. Bit choked up when his nipper got it, and I'm a stoic.

Well done.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Thanks man! Yeah, Ryan is a beast! He also did the voice of the other survivor in Cayne and has quite a few parts in Desolation. We tend to keep using the same people. His brother is also a fantastic voice artist. They are a ton of fun to work with, and really gives their all! We have a drunk character in Desolation, and I swear Ryan actually got drunk to do the recording. Or happened to be drunk when he recorded it...he is English after all.

Hadley in Cayne is doing the voice of POOCH in Desolation.

lightbane

Arcane
I hope this game will have actual dialogue trees with characters, or at least multiple endings. Asking for a non-depressing ending is probably too much I guess, right?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
It always facinates me how devs in dire straights always churn out the best stuff.

Like you got Pyke fucking in SA, no water and power, rape gangs and riots, but makes quality fucking stuff

Then you got TODD, and the mooks at obsidian in their safe, comfy big office chairs with little to no danger in any way what so ever, churning out mediocre boring safe stuff :P

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Don't mention Pyke in the same sentence with that trash brah. This is a high roller lounge where gentleman wipe their golden monocles with finest silk, whilst partaking in consuming art with a bit of 20 yo single malt.

Neanderthal

Arcane
You know I like to mull over a game when I've finished it and I've got to say this about Stasis: This has an almost perfect atmosphere for a w40k game, the Groomlake could pass for a Space Hulk with very little modification, and with John you get a more grounded protagonist than a Terminator squad or what have you.

Pity we'll never get a game like that, but if we do I hope somebody like Pyke gets to work on it, because it's the human frailty and striving in the inhuman w40k setting that really lets us self insert into what should be unrelatable.

Sharpedge

Prophet
As a fellow South African it shames me to admit I was not aware this game was in development until now. The 2d visuals look absolutely gorgeous. I will be keeping track of this and I am looking forward to playing it on release.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
As a fellow South African it shames me to admit I was not aware this game was in development until now. The 2d visuals look absolutely gorgeous. I will be keeping track of this and I am looking forward to playing it on release.

Shame. Shame. Shame.

If you wanna get notified at release, you can always add us to your wishlist! Every addition helps! https://store.steampowered.com/app/912570/BEAUTIFUL_DESOLATION/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom