Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Been out of the loop

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Since 2008/9 aprox. And while i know some of the most renowned titles and reactions to them here i'd like you guises make me a quick list of must play games from last 5-6 years whether they be AAA titles or indie stuff. You can also list non-rpgs, especially if they have open world gameplay or some other double plus good stuff in them.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Risen, Knights of the Chalice, Alpha Protocol, Blackguards, Divinity: Original Sin, Alpha Protocol, NWN2: Storm of Zehir, Expeditions: Conquistador (sorta), Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Alpha Protocol

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
make me a quick list of must play games from last 5-6 years
blank_page.jpg

baturinsky

Arcane
What's so great about Alpha Protocol? I tried three or so missions and it looks like another Mass Effect popamole.

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Risen, Knights of the Chalice, Alpha Protocol, Blackguards, Divinity: Original Sin, Alpha Protocol, NWN2: Storm of Zehir, Expeditions: Conquistador (sorta), Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Alpha Protocol
You seem to be fond of Alpha Protocol, yes? Have already not removed it from the inventory and ready to not install. Playing Risen for now (it's good - Gothic with updated graphics).
First tome i hear about Kinghts of chalice and Conquistador. Will look that up.
Is Storm of Zehir some sort of addon made by non-bioware entity?
Is Shadowrun Dragonfall better than the first game? I started it and it seems like an utter railroad with bland untactical albeit turn based combat.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
You try those listed above and report back to me. KoTC excepted maybe. Unless "must play" means "good for what it is."

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Fallout: New Vegas is probably the best RPG of recent years. Red Dead Redemption isn't an RPG, but is an excellent open-world game. Just Cause 2 is also fun.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Do like me buddy, i have vast collection of crpgs (whole special HD near 1TB especially for them + mods) and keep playing both old and new titles .
Depending on my mood im running trough titles like ie. Might&Magic, Betrayal at Krondor, Baldur's Gate T.,Eye of the Beholder, Fallouts 1 + 2,Torment, Gothics etc. or newer ones like modded Skyrim, Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2 beta, Nwn2, Fallout:Nv + 3, Risen, ME, DA, MMX, Witcher 1+2, AoD beta and dozen of others. While doing that im trying play 2-3 games from A to Z at once (often for 2-5 time in my life like Torment/BG/Skyrim/Fallouts to discover new small details), to keep story and events memorable.
There are so many great titles in this genre.
Most important thing is to not lose fun and joy from playing crpgs, not be too critic or easily bored becouse of age.
That's the main reason for so many unhappy crpg fans around, they forget about fun :mob:

jdinatale

Cipher

Left out Might and Magic X: Legacy

Tigranes

Arcane
Must play in last 5 years?

Risen:
If you liked Gothic 1 and 2, this is it.

Knights of the Chalice: Good old turn based D&D dungeon romp.

Divinity: Original Sin: robust unique turn based combat & Ultima 7 influenced gameworld.

Fallout: New Vegas: unquestionably the most full-blown faction system in any RPG plus a pretty Fallouty world.

M&MX Legacy: You know what to expect from this one.

Alpha Protocol: C&C reactivity CYOA elements taken to the max.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
What's so great about Alpha Protocol? I tried three or so missions and it looks like another Mass Effect popamole.

Some good/novel ideas, hit-or-miss execution though, gameplay a chore.

Why not leave opinionated shit about ambivalent shit out of it? Assign whatever weights you want to storyfag vs gameplay vs simulacra. If else's different, let's not whine about it endlessly as if it mattered. Let's.

By that logic, DXIW woulda been bad completely. Actually, only non-prose bad. Liked the ending cutscenes even.

Waterd

Augur
Knights of the chalice, To me the best dungeon crawler there is.
Avoid crafting though, it´s broken and makes the game impossible to lose.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
While not complete yet Underrail has lots of content and is well worth playing.

I also recommend Geneforge 5 and Avernum 6.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
You can also list non-rpgs, especially if they have open world gameplay or some other double plus good stuff in them.

STALKER: Call of Pripyat with Massive Simulation Overhaul, Absolute Nature, Absolute Structures, Absolute Scopes and AtmosFEAR3.

Mount & Blade: Warband with Prophecy of Pendor.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Left out Might and Magic X: Legacy

And for a good fucking reason, too.

You seem to be fond of Alpha Protocol, yes?

Everyone is fond of Alpha Brotocol :incline:

First tome i hear about Kinghts of chalice and Conquistador. Will look that up.

KOTC is a must-play for plenty of reasons, but mostly because it's the game that ToEE really wanted to be. Great depiction of D&D rules including all assorted 5-foot steps and grapples, tacticool, hard as hell at times (read muh review for details http://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=209 )

Conquistador is alright, but your mileage may vary. Its first half is cool, but I thought it dragged as hell in the later parts.

Is Storm of Zehir some sort of addon made by non-bioware entity?

Es Obsidian. It's kind of like how MotB was the NWN2-version of PS:T, SoZ is the NWN2-version of IWD. (reviewz http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=184 )

Is Shadowrun Dragonfall better than the first game? I started it and it seems like an utter railroad with bland untactical albeit turn based combat.

Yeah, much better, mostly cuz of general improvements everywhere. Again, review: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9394

made

Arcane
out of the loop
Constantly am.

Impossible to keep track of all the KS/indie games in their jungle of alpha, beta, early access, pre-release, post-DLC, mid-mods-will-fix-it... and Codex ain't exactly helpful with its uselss megathreads.

I found a Blackguards Deluxe Edition including a DLC and with some patches behind the belt so I'm gonna give that a try.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom