Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Beneath A Steel Sky and Lure of the Temtpress free at GOG

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/Fre ... tress/22/1

If you haven't already played them via Abandonware or not removing from inventory :)roll:) or otherwise (actually buying it when you could?), they are now free to download at GOG.com and you owe it to yourself to play Steel Sky at least (Lure of the Temptress is one I haven't played).

crakkie

Arcane
They've been available, freely and legally, from scummvm's website for quite a while. They also have Drascula: The Vampire Strikes Back and Flight of the Amazon Queen for free as well.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is there any advantage to playing them through GoG over ScummVM?

Gwendo

Augur
You don't need ScummVM to play them. They will run in windows with no need for emulation.

MetalCraze

Arcane
And Scummvm has better interface and save system.

Also I've never managed to finish BTSS. Lower city levels that look like a generic town of 20s century just killed the game and atmosphere for me. It was so incredibly good to be at the top, looking at how the world lives in shit/anti-utopia and it is like a one big industrial zone - but then you get to the boring part.

Mnemon

Educated
GOG versions use ScummVM.

I'd guess it is more of a promotional thing (and probably means revolution software signed up on GOG and will sell some newer games eventually).

But yes, you get additional extras (for Beneath a Steel Sky). Despite the handbook (both) there's the comic book, wallpapers and avatars for BTSS.

Zhuangzi

Scholar
skyway said:
And Scummvm has better interface and save system.

Also I've never managed to finish BTSS. Lower city levels that look like a generic town of 20s century just killed the game and atmosphere for me. It was so incredibly good to be at the top, looking at how the world lives in shit/anti-utopia and it is like a one big industrial zone - but then you get to the boring part.

Fantastic game, but it does deteriorate toward the end. For me, it's the part AFTER the lower level which I didn't like.

I was just reading again about Steel Sky 2, which I doubt we'll ever see. I suppose it's possible - in time for the 20th anniversary of BASS. :roll:

If you like adventure games and you've never played BASS, you're in for a treat. Scumm VM is very useful for these games ago. You can play the Monkey Islands, Day of the Tentacle etc on Scumm VM.

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
So is this a demonstration of that fabled no emulation thing they're going for or what?

Mnemon

Educated
?

You can play out of the box or (optionally) using ScummVm as these are PC games.

Nowhere on the site do they claim that there's no use of tools like DosBox/ScummVm. They simply guarantee that the version you get works with XP/Vista. In one case (can't remember which one, was on their community forum somewhere) that involved the original developers doing one more patch particularly for the GoG release.

There's no emulation as they don't release console/non-PC titles.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
BASS is a pretty good adventure game, but once you've played it (a playthrough didn't take that many hours), there are few reasons to ever touch it again, which I suppose is a general weakness of most adventure games. Not as punishing as some Sierra adventure games, but I still prefer the LucasArts way of having adventure games without arbitrary deaths (or deaths at all). Most of the times when you die make sense though and there is an auto-save feature so you don't have to restart way down the line.

Zhuangzi

Scholar
Azael said:
BASS is a pretty good adventure game, but once you've played it (a playthrough didn't take that many hours), there are few reasons to ever touch it again, which I suppose is a general weakness of most adventure games. Not as punishing as some Sierra adventure games, but I still prefer the LucasArts way of having adventure games without arbitrary deaths (or deaths at all). Most of the times when you die make sense though and there is an auto-save feature so you don't have to restart way down the line.

Second half of the game is pretty poor IMO, and it was very short. But the setting and initial few puzzles are outstanding. I'm thinking basically the top level. Things tended to deteriorate into schmaltzy wandering as you go further down (and the fucken music doesn't help there either). Yes, I'm looking at you, Mrs Piermont. :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom