Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Civil War games?

ind33d

Learned
I like Gettysburg, but it probably doesn't run on modern machines. Are there any other Civil War kinos?

flyingjohn

Arcane
Ultimate general Civil War is nice. For more complex stuff there is Ageod's Civil War II.

Tanaka

Educated
There is also Grand Tactician ACW and Strategic Command ACW...

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I liked Strategic Command's American Civil War the most. It's in a nice middle point between beer and pretzel and complexity for me. Civil War 2, as flyinjohn mentioned, is also nice. There's also Grand Tactician: The Civil War. Haven't tried that one since the price is usually quite high.

Beowulf

Arcane
Depends on what scale you want the conflict to be played at.
For strategic/operational level the Ageod offering can hardly be matched.
For tactical you could perhaps give the Scourge of War series a try - just keep in mind the the developer and the publisher split, and the developer is working on remakes that would be more up to modern standards (at least on the technical side).
WDS also made a lot of great titles for specific battles and campaigns. Just be sure that you're picking the updated ones - https://wargameds.com/collections/civil-war-battles

I haven't played any newer games, like Grand Tactician, so can't really say much, but they might be worth keeping an eye out.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Civil War Generals 2.

I also played a lot of Grand Tactician: The Civil War earlier this year, both the grand campaign mode and the officer career mode and it´s tragic how close it is to being a great game but the AI is so extremely dumb half of the time that I am still a bit hesitant recommending it. When the AI works well it is probably the ultimate ACW strategy game, though.

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Ultimate General Civil War is a pretty good game. Grand Tactician is weird. It looks like a decent game but it has a brain dead AI, terrible performance(while having simple graphics) and the campaign is unnecessarily convoluted with all kind of things which could be removed and the game would actually become better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom