Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best combat between solasta/os2/pf games

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
what is your favorite in terms of combat system/encounter design/difficulty etc between these games?

I guess we can throw in bg3 as well but it won't be a totally fair comparison at this point from what I know.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Knights of the Motha FUCKING Chalice 2! Nuff' said.
Haha I'm a turn based fan as well, I omitted that title on purpose, I'm sure it is the best overall of newer releases but curious on codex opinions of the combat in the others

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kingmaker turn-based mod is the best of the games mentioned in the title.

DOS 2 combat isn't bad, but there are mechanics that make it worse. Item stats bloat, and the shields are not my cup of tea.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

DOS 2 combat isn't bad, but there are mechanics that make it worse. Item stats bloat, and the shields are not my cup of tea.

Did you play wrath of the righteous? I've read kingmaker wasn't designed for tb but wrath was.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Did you play wrath of the righteous? I've read kingmaker wasn't designed for tb but wrath was.
I have yet to play WotR, but the Turn-based mod for Kingmaker worked surprisingly well. It felt very well done, and fit the ruleset.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

I have yet to play WotR, but the Turn-based mod for Kingmaker worked surprisingly well. It felt very well done, and fit the ruleset.

Ok thanks for sharing your experience.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's just that there's lots of trash encounters which make TB boring to play. So what people do instead is switch to Real Time for boring fights then toggle back to TB for challenging encounters. It works.
Trash fights = trash game

RTwP = for trash fights

Ergo RTwP = trash game

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
assuming dos2 didnt have initiative and itemization problems, after honeymoon period it quickly becomes a drag due to plethora of skills available to everyone and their mother. Its more like watching a dragonball. Even dumb warrior is teleporting around and creating fire surfaces. Speaking of, everything just catches fire, fire rules all.

Out of those Id pick 1st half of solasta. 2nd half got meh due to scaling.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
  • Solasta is interesting as far as the implementation of things we used to take for granted, but apparently they're really hard to do these days: lighting and field of vision affected by lighting. There are some arguments that other systems are done quite well, but those are the primary ones that are the focus.

• D: OS 2 has numerous issues when it comes to stats, and the well-known armour issues. This one might be fun, but you need to be *very* patient. The plus to this one: you can kill anyone. Unlike the other titles in your selection.

• Kingmaker is interesting, but the real issue with it is that it *still* has some bugs. Some of them really glaring when it comes to Kingdom buffs.

• Wrath's combat is really good. I've had little incentive to use RTwP in it, yet. It's problems come with bugs, once again, this time to any classes added that were not in Kingmaker, the companions... and pretty much every NPC in act 1. Because Act 1 was designed by a raging feminist with too much control.
Which one would be my favourite... ? It would probably be Kingmaker.

If I were you, I'd still buy and play Kenshi, though.

Tony

Novice
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Pathfinder wins for me. Nothing beats Pathfinder's version of 3.5e, or 3.5e in general. I didn't care too much for the 3d combat in Solasta. I liked it, and I enjoy 5e - just not the 3d combat. Original Sin 2's combat was great, but got tedious quickly (for me). The combat in Baldur's Gate 3, though similar, just feels better. And has 5e, so I may be biased. And I am far more biased towards 3.5e.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
what is your favorite in terms of combat system/encounter design/difficulty etc between these games?

I guess we can throw in bg3 as well but it won't be a totally fair comparison at this point from what I know.
They're all worth playing. Not exactly a Golden Age but a good enough one.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
If I were you, I'd still buy and play Kenshi, though.
What? How did you know that's one sandbox/arpg that I'd really like to play some day?

Get out of my head
justdoitmeme.jpg
Kenshi was half off on steam, just bought it. I'm into combat more than anything but Arcanum is still one of my favorite games for many reasons outside of combat. From what I read about kenshi, it might be a game I really get into at some point.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
- Solasta's combat was designed from the ground up as being turn-based as opposed to the PF games being RTwP with TB tacked on.

- Solasta lacks the PF games' character build depth and thus its combat can be seen to lack depth as well, but lack of depth does not equate to lack of quality.

- Tactical choices probably favors Solasta due to its grid-based nature, which affects things like spell placement, etc., giving them a cleaner and more straightforward nature.

- Solasta's combat animations, combat sounds, and combat graphics are superior to PF's. We all know the PF games are a graphical mess, especially at high levels.

- Solasta features the z-axis, which adds to tactical depth, immersion, sophistication and fun.

Angriph

Novice
Combat system? Solasta.
Combat system + Encounter design? DOS.
Combat system + Character Buillding + Difficulty - Encounter design? Pathfinder.

Codex Year of the Donut
enemies in pathfinder games have no AI beyond "attack closest unit", it's only "good" combat if you think enemies with ridiculously bloated stats is interesting

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom