Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best current patch/mod package for Fallout 2?

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
As the title says. I'm currently browsing NMA download section, which usually contained all that's available, but i'd like to have advice too. Just finished F! with unarmed/melee char using gog version + fixt and now i want something similar for F2. What about that Killap's restoration mod? It looks snazzy, but does it also contain all the patches needed? Is there anything else to add that could be a game changer in a positive way?

edit:
Haven't been playing F2 for almost 15 years since the first times i did and probably don't even remember the original content that good. Maybe restoration mod would be better second time around. I just doubt that i'll make one more play anytime soon after this one given how yuge the game i remember was compared to F1.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The restoration project includes several different versions, from fixes only to "anything goes." IIRC you choose in the setup which version of the mod you want to install. I'd go with "purist" or whatever the option was called that changes as little as possible. If you're not very familiar with the game you won't know what is RP and what is vanilla anyway, and the game is big enough as it is.

You don't need anything else, with the RP you're good to go.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Okay, sounds reasonable. I was familiar with the game around 2003-2005, but i forget, i forget again. On one hand it's almost great. It won't feel as redundant as replaying recently played game, but my guess is that i would not recognize what is pure and what's restored. Is any of the restored content any good?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
It's hit and miss. It adds two(?) new locations on the world map, neither of which are worthwile IMO, but there's also stuff like a new map in the Den with one or two new quests which I thought were very well integrated with the original material. I believe some, if not all of the additions are recycled either from unused game files or from design documents. There should be a changelog in the download, maybe take a look and decide if the content sounds interesting. My opinion is that it's alright, all things considered, but unneccesary.

Killap Patch: Pure bug fixing.
Restoration Mod: Its pretty much an expansion pack for Fallout 2.

There's also Fallout 1.5 and Nevada for Total Conversions, but Nevada ins't 100% translated to english yet.

There's also a few balance patches that change the economy, weapons, etc, to make more things useful, the game harder, add crafting, etc. I used to enjoy Magnus's mod, I've heard of Equilibrium too.

Whatever you do, get a mod that nerfs laser resistances so that laser weapons are worthwhile. Hell, I think RP might have a fix for that embedded.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Dun remember about 2, but in 1 lazor weapons are extremely powerful. Best endgame weapons bar none.

Btw, does this Nevada mod russkie version needs ruskie Fallout copy or does it work on regular (gog) too?

flushfire

Augur
If someone like me who pirates like 95% of the games I play has a legit copy of the game, I'm willing to bet anyone who's interested in that mod probably has 1-2 copies of the game already anyway.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Has Restoration Project fixed the useless armor piercing bullets? I don't see in any of the descriptions if they did something with this and internet tells nothing. I can't seem to notice much difference between blue and red rounds in-game.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Has Restoration Project fixed the useless armor piercing bullets? I don't see in any of the descriptions if they did something with this and internet tells nothing. I can't seem to notice much difference between blue and red rounds in-game.
There should have been an option in the setup to install one of two weapon and ammo rebalancing mods, if I remember correctly. I wouldn't fuss about it though, normal red bullets work fine against everything.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Gnidrologist
I re-played Fallout 2 with the Megamod, you should check it.
The only drawback ( i stopped after i reach San francisco, will come back to it later) is a small bug with MArcus, you have to kick everyone from the party to be able to recruit him (he keeps saying he can't join because of all the things going on even after you solve the main quests otherwise )

It includes most patches, even part or the entire restoration project (i'm not sure but i know some part of it at least are included as i had RP quests ) and bug fixes and the mod that allows you to play your companions yourself (no more AI bullshit )

By the way, all mods and infos are on the No mutants allowed website/forum : http://www.nma-fallout.com/forums/fallout-general-modding.18/

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
If I remember correctly, Restoration Project provides 2 locations which are perhaps not very interesting, but they allow you to:

- finish Sulik's quest of searching for his sister (was she in the vanilla game? Never found her before)
- find a big mutant armor for Marcus.

I must say I enjoyed the content, except for Kaga, who was more of a comedy relief in a game which already did not need more comedy reliefs :)

Baron Dupek

Arcane
There is more than 2 locations in RP - one is Abbey with few boring quests and maybe one decent, Primitive Village which got cool music and EPA, which is most interesting one from new locations added in RP.
There might be one additional small location nearby New Reno but I'm not sure.
Oh and Kaga sucks major balls. It was removed from the game for good reason, restoring everything is never good idea.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Gnidrologist
I re-played Fallout 2 with the Megamod, you should check it.
I will probably some day, just not now that i had forgotten much about the original game to begin with. From the list of mods it merges i got that it has a lot of user made content so i'll try that when my knowledge of F2 will be repaired.
and the mod that allows you to play your companions yourself (no more AI bullshit )
Wouldn't use that actually. I like the randomness of companions even when they act like goofs. It would also make the game even more easy, when it already is on 'tough combat' mode.
By the way, all mods and infos are on the No mutants allowed website/forum : http://www.nma-fallout.com/forums/fallout-general-modding.18/
Yeah, that's why i linked to it.:M
If I remember correctly, Restoration Project provides 2 locations which are perhaps not very interesting, but they allow you to:

- finish Sulik's quest of searching for his sister (was she in the vanilla game? Never found her before)
- find a big mutant armor for Marcus.
There are lot more. I actually was quite surprised how the tribal village was so full of quests and Sulik's sister quest was enjoyable. If they went with the tribal theme anyway, it's not clear why they removed this content. Maybe because of ghosts. They seem to have removed two quests with actual ghosts in it (Village and Klamath). Guess they went *with Graham Chapman's voice* "Stop, stop it, it's getting a bit too silly now, isn't it?".:D
Oh and Kaga sucks major balls. It was removed from the game for good reason, restoring everything is never good idea.
For me it's just another silly random/special encounter. Nothing out of order in F2.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Gnidrologist
Some parts of the game are tough enough, for example, at the very beginning, if you skip New Reno and Reddings to go directly to the east, crossing the mountains with the poor weapons you have is a challenge, not talking about ammo management, even with AI control (or maybe it's because of the megamod but that's my experience with it )

No AI control is just a nuisance* that makes you reload and if you say otherwise, you're lying, i mean, sulik with a machine gun is going to shoot you, maybe kill you and with a CC weapon, he's going to die or prevent you from shooting from afar at some point.
Of course, if you play all CC, it's different but good cc weapons are hard to find at first, in this replay, i didn't find any improved hammer (doing all the major cities and not checking the merchants in san francisco), i found rippers and the energetic glove but you get enough batteries to use them mid / late game.

As for the difficulty, there is plenty of it if you venture somewhere you don't belong and it's far more interesting / challenging than having to cope with a stupid AI.
Still, by all means, you have fun the way you want to play it. :P

(*) I'm not saying it wasn't fun on my firsts playthrough back in the days when i didn't have any choice but i wouldn't put myself through it again if i can help it.

Makes me wonder if someone cautious enough found a way to play an "iron man" game in fallout 2.
I know shit always happens to me because i'm not careful and i'm looking for trouble ...

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Gnidrologist
Some parts of the game are tough enough, for example, at the very beginning, if you skip New Reno and Reddings to go directly to the east, crossing the mountains with the poor weapons you have is a challenge, not talking about ammo management, even with AI control (or maybe it's because of the megamod but that's my experience with it )
I'm now playing it in a natural virgin way just like the first time, not beelining to New Reno or anywhere. Would probably be difficult to do otherwise anyway, because RP also makes random encounters way more frequent and vicious and, frankly, i've forgotten the locations of most settlements and plot things anyway.
It's still possible to just run off the map if the encounter is too tough in most cases.

As for the hardest part, just like years back i think it's getting rid of wanamingos in Redding. The Frog dude and his gang at the same place are also p. hard especially if you're not at least lvl 10. (one thing i didn't realize in the original playthrough is that combat shotgun is best weapon against them as the head shot knocks 'em down most of the time)
No AI control is just a nuisance* that makes you reload and if you say otherwise, you're lying, i mean, sulik with a machine gun is going to shoot you, maybe kill you and with a CC weapon, he's going to die or prevent you from shooting from afar at some point.
Not lying. Played my fair share of tactical party based games and they are fine for what they are as well as Fallout is fine for what it is. I'd never want to spend shitloads of time to micromanage all the NPCs and their silly quirks makes for unique experience that only Fallout has ever done for me. That it adds to the challenge is also good. It would be piss easy with even two controlled companions otherwise. One thing that i can't get over though is them constantly crossing my pathway, standing in the doors and places i need to get to, like footlockers. Now THAT is a nuisance. Even two party members (Sulik & Cas) that i can afford with my CH2 + mentants are pain in the ass. Can't even imagine if i played with full squadron including Marcus like the first time. :eek:
[/QUOTE]

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
modern sfall is mandatory
https://github.com/phobos2077/sfall

then install the script to automatically open doors: https://github.com/phobos2077/sfall/tree/master/artifacts/example_mods/AutoDoors
revolutionizes the game

also far less important ones like letting you control your party
Isn't sfall integrated in RP? I think it is, although i never saw option to control party and that door script would definitely be must. Wonder if i can get it work in RP.

Codex Year of the Donut
modern sfall is mandatory
https://github.com/phobos2077/sfall

then install the script to automatically open doors: https://github.com/phobos2077/sfall/tree/master/artifacts/example_mods/AutoDoors
revolutionizes the game

also far less important ones like letting you control your party
Isn't sfall integrated in RP? I think it is, although i never saw option to control party and that door script would definitely be must. Wonder if i can get it work in RP.
RP has a very old version of sfall.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom