Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best DAO Origin

Best Origin

• Total voters

Shadenuat

Arcane
blood is power. :whatisfun:

Absinthe

Arcane
Dwarf Noble had the best potential but they completely scrapped its Orzammar main quest follow-up. It was the only origin where it actually felt like the origin was going to matter, until you play it and realize that you get funneled into the same shit anyway. The missing Avvar Barbarian origin might've been interesting too, but only if they were actually going to do something with the whole "Avvar walking around in Fereldan" bit.

I usually play Mage origin though, because Mage is the best class. It's kinda dumb they didn't do a Dalish Mage origin, since you get funneled into a single origin as a Mage now. Honestly instead of the shitty DLCs and expansions that Bioware did, they should've just added more origins, regions, and specializations to the base game.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Dwarf noble gives you more context about the politics and how to handle the whole situation there. The game funnels you to the old conservative fogy anyway, but your brother is actually the better choice in the long run. Not that you would necessarily know that even if you are a DN yourself, it only becomes apparent from the ending slides.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Dwarf noble gives you more context about the politics and how to handle the whole situation there. The game funnels you to the old conservative fogy anyway, but your brother is actually the better choice in the long run. Not that you would necessarily know that even if you are a DN yourself, it only becomes apparent from the ending slides.

A fan theory I like is that Bhelen actually isn't the better choice for Orzammar but, since he's a brutal tyrant, he controls the news that comes out of there.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I never played the dwarf ones. The noble human one I remember being really generic, and the mage one I remember being tedious and having no option to tell the naughty mage to fuck off annoyed me. I remember liking the two elf ones much more than those, the Dalish one sets up the series well and has some good lore while the city elf one has a pretty good story, especially if you wanna play a militant elf terrorist type.

Maybe one day I'll do a dwarf run but man I hate dwarves.

Vatnik Wumao
The noble human one I remember being really generic
It is, but at least it ties in better with the rest of the story (e.g. Arl Howe, the future of Ferelden). Mage on the other hand is both quite generic and doesn't impact much (Mage Tower being the same sort of dungeon with a binary choice along the way deciding the fate of the Circle, Jowan being a minor character in Redcliffe).

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
Female human noble for best choice.

Female elf mage with the arcane warrior specialization for second best choice.

Dwarf noble male for third best choice.

Everything else is unviable.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
imagine not being a mage

mage is only class even remotely worth playing but mage origin is stupid and easily the worst one. at least the elf origins and commoner dwarf origin are too plain for me to even remember what they were about. Mage origin actually sticks in your mind, like dried up shit in your hair after a bird craps on your head.

Shadenuat

Arcane
making main a mage just removes whatever bits of challenge you can have in game because formula for difficulty is something like difficulty*anythingelse/X where X is amount of Cones of Cold you can cast

Riel

Arcane
For its own value Dwarf Noble is by far the best but it doesn't connect with the rest of the game as good as Human Noble which while nothing extraordinary by itself offers great playability during the regular campaign.

Other good ones are Elven Commoner and Magi, because of lore. A pity ELven Commoner is resolved so bluntly because up until the kidnapping I think it's great, shamefully after that it become heroic fantasy and you just solve it by killing a lot a seasoned guards with your level 1 "hero".

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
making main a mage just removes whatever bits of challenge you can have in game because formula for difficulty is something like difficulty*anythingelse/X where X is amount of Cones of Cold you can cast

Games where casters are OP as fuck are just following the OG D&D model, and thus prestigious.

Shadenuat

Arcane
on Insane (or whatever righest slider called), and patched so enemies do not attack your guys when they're inside that invul sphere? there is some to have, and there are more mods for it too (like Sea's Thirst mod).

Delterius

Arcane
a mage can't walk for more than 5 seconds through DA:O without breaking the game

the reason for that, of course, is because DA:O is a barely functional barely game in the first place

you patched one spell and left the other 17 trillion broken spells unpatched

i point that out and you call me names

ok

Shadenuat

Arcane
same for bg or pathfinder, and DAO doesn't even have that many spells to not count them all. what does it have to do with its "functionality"? I at minimum remember mod that fixed enemies getting always frozen by CoC as well, for example (ask Lilura or somethin). DA:O is obviously not as difficult, but there were a lot of problems in vanilla with spells in particular, where spells would always work on enemies, or enemy ai is broken, or some other shit, that ran completely against developers intent of how they were supposed to work. It would never be truly difficult, but stacking effectively bugged vanilla classes on top of more bugged classes would not help, don't you think?

Delterius

Arcane
same for bg or pathfinder
no, just no

dao isn't breakable. dao isn't broken. dao is the concept artwork of game systems.
developers intent
the developers intent was for mages to be broken, bro
imagine not being a mage

It's a party based game, you're gonna have a mage or two to control no matter what. The mage origin is ass.
the existence of other mages who deign to help you in your doomed journey is just a cope to personal non-magedom

the fact that you are a mage is what elevates the origin above all others

Shadenuat

Arcane
the developers intent was for mages to be broken, bro
I given the invul sphere example for a purpose - we know that there was a script in it to clear enemy aggro, but it wasn't used due to some mistake in code.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom