Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best entry in a series (all genres)

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Additionally, the turbo plasma rifle is the undisputed best final weapon Fallout (thanks, Feargus).

Not really. Power Fist gets up to 10 ApR.

2 had a few more options

Undisputed best weapon in Fallout 2 is Bozar. Sulik gets .223 and the rest get Gauss rifles.

Stealth - New Vegas isn't a blind reloadfest, can actually be an enjoyable way to play

Highly enjoyable in Fallout and Fallout 2, are you kidding me? Slayer and Big Frigger in FO2 was standout.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Being ‘original’ doesn't count for anything when the thing that is so original is nothing at all. In fact, being original has nothing to do with being good. I don't hate DS2, but it's obviously the product of people who had only a relatively superficial understanding of what Dark Souls ought to be. I don't know what's so special about the mechanics, either. It's just a kind of half-way between Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. It's nothing we hadn't seen before.

How is being original in locations and world building, not being original in anything at all?
Aside from that again DS2 of all 3 DS games, has the best campaign.
Funny you mention not understanding what DS ought to be, because that's exactly what happened to From with DS3 (or even Bloodborne).
The mechanics are the most robust of any From game (aside from King's Field 4).

Yes, it's relatively less interesting, I should have said. But no repeated levels? Seriously? A location recycled from the original game followed by two missions in a row both in the same place? Oh, well, I guess that doesn't count, unlike the original which had... uh... Strange Bedfellows? Thief's campaign was a more nuanced experience and doesn't really go against its own mechanics. It's an ‘immersive sim’, not just a pure stealth game. People always favourite sequels for being ‘refined’, but I'm sceptical of it. In most cases, those refinements remove part of what made the originals so interesting. Thief 2 omitted the odd things that enhanced the experience and gave us nothing but the same. There's less of the strange, supernatural locations and instead just more large buildings. The overall experience of the game is what matters, you can't just take any part of it in isolation as the signifier of quality. Especially with games like Thief, which have more of a focus on a story or a setting, rather than just raw mechanics.

The maw of chaos was just a segment of one larger mission. And it highligths how T2 improves things upon T1. My guess with Casting the Joint and Masks is that they were 1 full mission but it probably was too big so they decided to split into two. T1 also had return to the cathedral.
T1 does go against it's self on considerable ocasions. Also imerse sims aren't a genre, but rather an aspect conferred by the game's mechanics and open ended content. Thied is very much a pure stealth game.
Yeah T1 has some pretty memorable moments, but I find myself replaying T2 far more. T1 overall quality troughout the entire game is kinda all over the place, while T2 never at any point drops the ball as hard as T1, an in fact for the most part the quality of each level superior to the one before until the end.
T2 didn't gave nothing similiar to T1. The switch to a more techological setting, was a very good decision and also necessary (otherwise the game would've been a rethread of the first).
Finally Thief games do not focus more on storyfaggotry than any other aspect. Their focus is on the challenge provided by the gameplay and level design.

Expansions are secondary by definition. If a sequel is essentially the same as the original, it's less important by default. Always. The original will always be the purest form of that idea, both in its creation and one's own personal experience of it. And Doom 2, while it adds things, also loses others, and overall comes out to something that can't make as much of an impression as the original did.

Sequels being worse than the original installements is the exception in videogames.
In the first game the devs have an idea, but it's with further work on that idea that they can realise it's potential. You can see that most of those games I listed as well as in Thief.
Yes Thief's development was a rocky one, it was only late in development that the devs had the idea to make it a game about evasion rather than confrotation. That's why there are things in T1 that do go against that principle (specially in the last chunk on the game).

And yes, DS2 is very consistent. Consistently mediocre, that is. Seriously though, I suppose in its way the quality is actually more consistent than the first game, but only by being so average. DS1 at times was better, and then at times bafflingly stupid. Dark Souls overall as a series is rather overrated, really. I like Demon's Souls much more.

You're getting it tough.
DS1 is the one whose quality is more consistent across the whole game.
However DS2 lows migth be as bad as DS1 lows (although even in lows the quality is mediocre and not bad), but DS2 highs far surpass any of DS1 highs
I really DeS as well - I think DeS and DS2 are the best games From has made in these last 10 years. So it's kinda difficult for me to say between the two which one is best, but I would say DS2.
That game just has some of the best content From as ever produced.

And so what if you can break the systems? I didn't know how to break it the first time I played the game, so I'd argue that it's fine.

You really don't have to analyse them to figure out a way.
Fallout system was so rushly designed (to be fair they wanted to use another system, but unfortonately things didn't work out), that any player that reachs a high enough point in the game naturally breaks.
What's the problem you ask?
Simple. As a consequence the last act of the game is a walk in the park.

Well, that's not really an achievement when most RPGs now aren't RPGs. But what does that even mean? Is Pokemon better than Fallout? Baldur's Gate? Grimoire? Your mother? In my experience, Pokemon is just a game full of boring trash encounters. That's it.

When I said most RPG's, I was even referring to older ones.
What does that mean?
Easy, a game with good gameplay is a good game. Regardless of the quality of the other aspects.
And Soul Silver has also as fun and relaxing campgain (the best of the franchise). So overall it's solid game.

Fairfax

Arcane
It showed everyone how to code,
Slow 2D 20fps clicker released in the same year as Quake(!) showed everyone how to code?

Diablo's influence grew very quickly. You had people like Avellone saying he was gonna get Diablo 2.
The main influence Diablo had on MCA were its succubi, but in a negative way. He said they were oversexualized and their sounds annoyed him, so he made FFG partially as a direct answer. I suppose one can call that a positive influence in the end, but it wasn't because of something Diablo did right.

Diablo was the king influencer. And mostly in a positive way.
The 'king influencer' almost led to Fallout, your own 'pure RPG' GOAT, being butchered in development. Fallout's creators did not escape Diablo's influence a second time, though, and Arcanum (your 7th best RPG of all time) had RT combat and multiplayer forced by Sierra late in its already troubled development.

Diablo also influenced IWD, in the sense that IPLY believed hardcore RPG fans would choose a classic dungeon crawler with BG gameplay over Diablo, so they released IWD on the same day as Diablo 2. IWD was blown out of the water, of course, and Diablo cemented its status as the standard for dungeon crawlers.

You can also add all the games that had their roots sacrificed on the altar of Diablo, like Vampire: The Masquerade Redemption, Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, and many others. Speaking of which, when given the chance to save either Dark Alliance 2 or Baldur's Gate 3, Herve chose DA2, because Diablo-esque games were more popular and it'd be on consoles. Similar thing happened with FO:BOS, which led to Van Buren's cancellation.

One may say that a game is not responsible for how people reacted, that players and other devs make their own decisions, etc. However, you love to claim that Oblivion, RtwP, and FO3 were pernicious to the entire genre, so it's hypocritical to give Diablo a pass despite all the harm it did. You like Diablo a lot, and that's fine. People have their preferences, soft spots, nostalgia, etc. But your claims that Diablo started a CRPG Renaissance (demonstrably false), shames every RPG that came before it (lol), and became an overwhelmingly positive influence on the genre are embarrassing. The irony is that nothing poisoned your "Renaissance era" more than Diablo, and many of the things you lament in the genre today can be traced back to its success.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The Modron Maze was also the biggest "Fuck you Diablo" Avellone could possibly give.

Highly enjoyable in Fallout and Fallout 2, are you kidding me? Slayer and Big Frigger in FO2 was standout.

The problem with stealth in the original Fallouts is that you have no feedback for how well you're sneaking and stealth can be broken at any time on account of a bad random roll. Bloodlines was the first time the Troika trio actually got it right.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
These are the oldest screenshots of BG I've seen.
alpha.jpg
Loving the Mona Lisa with a sword. Wonder if that's a placeholder portrait for any of the existing companions.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Fairfax , I don't acknowledge the citations given in this thread. I don't care what the devs say happened in shallow exchanges. Least of all, do I care what you or anyone else says they said.

I think that's the problem with you and the 'Dex as a whole: you focus on the devs and what they say in interviews, Twitter etc. People say a lot of things, but these guys tell us only 1% of what their thoughts/influences are in a dev cycle. And even if they wrote a book about it, I wouldn't take it as gospel.

I look at the games, and the games alone. You don't see talk about devs on my blog. You don't see me quoting them as an authority. Or it's very, very rare and just by the by. In respect to that, I admit it was a mistake to mention Avellone/Diablo 2 ITT, as I don't give a damn what he or any other devs says about their or others' games. I guess I was just posting loosely because this is General Gaming.

Diablo was the King Influencer and mostly in a positive way. Yes, I stand by that as "a combatfag" and commentator. I haven't proved it as yet, of course, and I don't feel the need to. Because what influenced what is of little concern to me in comparison to the games themselves.

In conclusion, have fun telling everyone what other people said in shallow interviews and "retrospectives".

Also, welcome to the iggy bin for unfairly railing against me (here and on Shoutbox or whatever it is) and attempting to paint Diablo as "pernicious/poison". Your existence will never be acknowledged again.

Fairfax

Arcane
Fairfax , I don't acknowledge the citations given in this thread. I don't care what the devs say happened in shallow exchanges. Least of all, do I care what you or anyone else says they said.

I think that's the problem with you and the 'Dex as a whole: you focus on the devs and what they say in interviews, Twitter etc. People say a lot of things, but these guys tell us only 1% of what their thoughts/influences are in a dev cycle. And even if they wrote a book about it, I wouldn't take it as gospel.

I look at the games, and the games alone. You don't see talk about devs on my blog. You don't see me quoting them as an authority. Or it's very, very rare and just by the by. In respect to that, I admit it was a mistake to mention Avellone/Diablo 2 ITT, as I don't give a damn what he or any other devs says about their or others' games. I guess I was just posting loosely because this is General Gaming.

Diablo was the King Influencer and mostly in a positive way. Yes, I stand by that as "a combatfag" and commentator. I haven't proved it as yet, of course, and I don't feel the need to. Because what influenced what is of little concern to me in comparison to the games themselves.

In conclusion, have fun telling everyone what other people said in shallow interviews and "retrospectives".
Childish response because you have a blind spot and can't accept obvious things about your guilty pleasure. You're not even trying to make sense anymore, and you're going against the whole persona you've built up. I guess I should add your own credibility to the list of things sacrificed for Diablo.

Also, welcome to the iggy bin for unfairly railing against me and attempting to paint Diablo as "pernicious/poison". Your existence will never be acknowledged again.
Bye, Felicia.
:mca:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Sequels being inferior is the rule in any medium. Well, it's not so much that they are so much ‘worse’, but they are certainly lesser most of the time. My opinion is that certain aspects of the original ideas are overlooked in the creation of sequels, or at the very least some of the initial impetus is lost if nothing is done that would sufficiently counteract this. This is especially a problem with games that aren't entirely focused on mechanics, as the less technical aspects of the game aren't something that are subject to any kind of ‘progress’.

Videogames are vastly different than any other medium.
With games, the only way a sequel can be worse is if the devs make a shift in direction that goes against the original idea. But since most sequels are generally made by the same devs and usually in quick sucession to their predecessors, they get to continually improve on the concept.

Using the example one of the games I posted:

Splinter Cell: devs are inspired by Thief and MGS to make a stealth game; they release the first game, that wasn't bad but rough around the edges and the campgain could've been better; then with the sequel, they rework things and experiment with the level design, and overall a pretty good game comes out of it; finally with enough experience, a few more bucks from the series being a sucess, they polish everything and make the best campgain in the series and voilá, you have Chaos Theory a game whose greatness can rival the first 2 Thief games.

And this is the most common case with games.

Well, DS1 seemed to have a noticeably weaker second half, whereas DS2 to me doesn't to seem too much of a noticeable drop in quality like that. Where are these highs you speak of?

DS2 quality varies from area to area. You can have a really good one that then is followed by 2 mediocre ones (although they still have neat things).

Saying a newer game is better for not having the ‘broken’ systems of an old game is kind of like when people say Macintosh is better than Windows.

Well it certainly better in that regard.
But I didn't said New Vegas was better just because the gameplay is better. I said that New Vegas has a similiar level of quality to Fallout 1/2 concerning quests design, atmosphere, world building and exploration. And it's NV stronger mechanics that break the stalemate and puts it above the other two.

Okay. Which RPGs in particular is it better than? I don't really see how one can be a gameplayfag and like Pokemon. All it really seems to have to me is cuteness.

Why are you insisting with Pokemon man?
I already explained it. It's has tight mechanics with a surprising amount depth, a satisfying game loop, and in SS/HG case a fun and relaxing campaign. It's a neat and comfy game, what more can I say?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
All things are subject to decline. The spirit of the original game will inevitably dwindle as a series continues. The original was already a complete idea, and expansions and sequels like Thief 2 or Doom 2 only serve to prolong that.

Yeah sure all things decline. Specially with the more time has passes since the first iteration.
But like I said, with videogames the immediate sequels are better the first. And unlike the other mediums, a worthy sequel years after the original titles is not uncommon.
And again disagree on you with Thief. The first one wasn't the complete idea, because the idea of the game being about stealth came in late. The one with the complete idea was Thief 2, since it's the one that revealed the entire potential of the idea.

You think some Xbox game is as great as Thief? Seriously?

That's a dumb way judging a game's quality.

It doesn't matter from where a game originated. If it's good, it's good.
Ninja Gaiden Black is also an XBox game, and it's one of the best action games ever made. REmake is a GameBube game and you'll be hard pressed to find a better survival horror title. Pretty much all figthing games come from consoles or arcades. And a big chunk of the best platformer titles originated in consoles as well.

Chaos Theory is one the best stealth games, whose quality puts it on the same league as Thief 1/2.

And the PC version of Splinter Cell isn't a port, so calling it an Xbox game is a reach.

Everything seemed to be about the same quality to me. That quality being average.

So, for example you think Heide's Tower of Flame is the same quality-wise to No Man's Wharf?

I'm insisting because Pokemon is one those games I've played where I was utterly baffled that anyone ever liked it. That puts it with the likes of Bethesda games in my mind. It's also just that I like Digimon and am butthurt over Poketards dismissing it because it isn't retarded enough for them. Saying it is better than other RPGs is essentially the same thing.

The fact you think Pokemon games are as shallow as Beth broken buggy messes, is an indication how little you know about them.
Also I never said they are better than other RPG's, I said they have better designed systems than most RPG's - which is true.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Maybe it's on the same league as Thief: Deadly Shadows. But the originals? What, this game belongs with the greatest of the greats? Is it also as good as System Shock? As good as Planescape: Torment? As good as Fallout?

Yes it's on the same league of the originals as a stealth game.
Also, why the fuck are you bringing up SS, Planescape and Fallout? They are not stealth games, they are RPG's. Not comparable to Splinter Cell or Thief.

No, but the difference in quality is not especially significant. This is all really beside the point, anyway. All I mean to say is that DS2 is more average overall. It's not as good but also not as bad.

The difference in quality is fairly significant. Which, like I previously said, is one example of how DS2 shifts in quality since the beigining of the game.

I've played the original Pokemon Red. It was shit. The end. The others would have to be completely different to be any better than that. Maybe you'll say that's because it's not a sequel so therefore it sucks, but who cares? It's not like it actually gets any better. Everyone says the series is completely formulaic, and it certainly looks to be, so what's there that's supposed to make it any good? I'm sure all the pretty graphics and stuff would make it more bearable, but it'd still be a game with no substance that'd probably make me wish I were playing anything else at all. Also, what are you even saying? You didn't say that they were better than most RPGs, you said... that they were better than most RPGs. What?

Red is a decent game. There's no major faults with it's gameplay or the content, and it's overall a well constructed game.
And yes the sequels do get better.
Again, just because you think they don't possess any depth doesn't make it so. And since you already confirmed your knowledge is limited to the first game of an enormous the series, you make it pretty clear you have no notion how mechanically driven these games can be.
Also why are being so dense? I said that in terms of the mechanics, there are Pokemon games (like Soul Silver) that are superior than most RPG's. That does not equal to afirm that they are better games as whole. What's so hard to understand?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
"... in FO1 every quest was planned from the beginning to be finished in multiple ways... "

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
It doesn't matter what the genre is, they are on the same level of quality as Thief

And so is Chaos Theory.

One worthless level doesn't count for much. It's the same shit as the rest of the game anyway, but whatever.

What you want more examples?
And no, the quality of those two levels, or any level in the game, isn't the same.

Red is worthless. Of course the sequels are better, it wasn't even possible to go lower. Just because you think they possess depth doesn't make it so. See, that's a useless argument. It doesn't mean anything. It's all subjective, you know, unless it's my opinion, duuuh. Fuck off. I can make these kind of judgements because it is possible to tell what a thing is by looking at it. You can't understand that because you are stupid. That's all there is to it. If the mechanics don't make them better games, then what fucking worth do those mechanics have? In the end, those mechanics you like so much are wasted on some vapid casual game. A fucking smartphone is ‘well constructed’ too, but it's still utter shit.

You're parameters to determine a game's quality must be fascinating, if a game that isn't bad in any regard (but also not good) is considered shit.
I don't think they have good mechanics, they do it's a fact. Go to any Pokemon wiki or forum discussing the stats and high level play, and you can see for yourself how much the game has under the hood. Also you were the one that was making judgment based your subjective taste and limited knowledge of the games.
Good mechanics always make a game better.
Now you're just being silly, comparing a phone to a game.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
This whole website must be fascinating to you, if that's the case.

Actually in regards to assessing if game is good or not, codexers are usually pretty good.
But I'll be honest with you bro, I'm having doubts about your expertise.

Who cares? Who ever fucking cared about some stupid nerds playing multiplayer spreadsheets? No one.

Well considereing Pokemon is one of the most successful game franchises, I would say a great many deal of people.
Also is this a forum about nerds discussing a niche, and mostly dead, genre.

It's not subjective taste. It's objective fact. You don't even know what you don't know. Wow, advanced rock-paper-scissors. Incredible. Just go around and instantly kill everything and grind or some shit because lol JRPG. Such great mechanics. Better than stupid old broken Fallout, right?

It is an objective fact you barely know anything about those mechanics, but for some reason continue to make false afirmations about them.
Maybe you're hoping to gain some Kodex Kool Kid Kredits?

:retarded:
It's called an analogy, you fucking retard

You might wanna work on your analogies dude. Because that one is not very good.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Lol, bro, you're, like, so stupid, bro, lmao!!

Well bro, we all sometimes make ourselves look like fools. But you bro, you abuse that privilege.

The ‘well it's popular so it must be good’ argument is a sure sign that someone has no idea what they are even talking about. And I do have all the experience required to know this as fact, if you must know. You might as well be saying that people discussing a Tarkovsky film or whatever are the same as Star Wars nerds.

C'mon bro, don't put words in my mouth.
You were the one who asked if anyone cares about Pokemon.
I never said they're good because they're successful.

I actually played one of the games, and it is obvious the they are all basically the same kind of thing, as can be confirmed by absolutely anyone. What I'm saying is that the game is fundamentally shallow, and whatever can be added on top of that isn't really going to solve the problem.

You played the first game, that compared to the best ones amounts to a prototype.
And the game is fundamentally shallow because of what exactely?
Because the experience mostly resumes to exploring the map, capturing/trading pokemon, building your team and figthing?
It's a mechanics driven game. The meat of the game is the battles and "team crafting". The campaign is for a more relaxed and casual play, and a tutorial+preparation for the high-end stuff.

It's pretty obvious what I've meant throughout all of this. You're just one of those annoying morons who refuses to listen. Your arguments are as shallow as the games they are about.

It's also pretty obvious what I've been saying from the start.
And I did listen, but you were the one that for some reason started to sperg out of control.
Funny you should mention shallow bro, because I am not the one who's buttmad someone else likes a game that revolves around it's core gameplay concept (and a well refined one at that).

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Might and Magic - 4&5 (World of Xeen)
Elder Scrolls - 3
Tomb Raider - 4
Doom - 1
Thief - 1 (if we consider the existing fan missions, 2)
Fallout - 1
Total War - Rome 1 or Medieval 2 (because mods)
Unreal - 1
Quake - 1
Monkey Island - 2
Gothic - 2
Gold Box - Azure Bonds
Baldur's Gate - 2

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Deus ex : 1

Prince of Persia : Warrior within

Portal : 1

Dark Souls : 1

Dragon ball : budokai tenkaichi 3

Monster hunter : World

Pokemon
Classic : Emerald
Mystery dungeon : B/R rescue team

GTA: San Andreas

Half life : 3

Mmos

Guild wars : 1

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom