Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Fallout 2 Ranged Weapon?

Best Ranged Weapon in Fallout 2?

• Total voters

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
What is the strongest ranged weapon in Fallout 2? Do you prefer pure damage? Do you like range and sniping? Do you also like style and weapon death animations?
Choose from any one in the poll.
Personally, I think the Bozar is just a pure meat blender. Ammo for it is pretty common. Has good range. Not too hard to acquire(just gotta go to the Toxic Caves, get an electronic lockpick, repair a generator, take a lift down, find a way to deal with the sentry bot, and the Bozar is yours). Deals obscene amounts of burst damage with the Bonus Ranged Damage perks(not to mention criticals). Just an awesome weapon.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Far from the best, but my favorite:

Fo1_Sniper_Rifle.png

The gun is the best ranged weapon in fallout 2 hands down.

I know some people are probably thinking "hold up homedog, what about rocks?" But those people are wrong. Rocks aren't as good as guns.

boluch

Literate
Gauss Rifle because its holstering animation is shorter (or feels shorter) than that of other weapons in its tier. Either that or .223 because it's cool. Or the pulse rifle. You know what, I like them all.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The objectively correct answer is the Bozar. From what I remember the .223 ammo is more versatile and the Bozar's burst is less wasteful than any 4.7x33mm weapon (Vindicator, G11). As much as the G11 is my actual favorite weapon it's probably the worst one on this list aside from the Flamer. The Bozar is enough to decimate everything in your path.

MasPingon

Arcane
Bozar was easy mode. That poor weapon dealer in New Reno was dead man walking in every playthrough since the start of the game.

Alphons

Cipher
Bozar is the best one, but I love the Magnum.

Also an honorable mention for Nevada's Detective Special.
Fo2-44-Magnum-Speedloader.png

Imgonline-com-ua-Resize-1-GUi-Fw-ARp-XR.jpg

Hellraiser

Arcane
For death animations the Flamer, Alien Blaster (sure the pulse weapons also have it and the Alien Blaster is hard to get in FO2, but Alien Blaster was the OG shit with it's special death animation), Laser and Plasma weapons are all classics. BTW did Boyarsky animate all those or was it someone else?

For very good but not OP weapons that also use common ammo: Sniper Rifle, the .233 Pistol and of course the trusty Magnum (which also has the advantage of being easy to get early on).

For endgame most-OP weapons: Gauss Rifle/Pistol, Turbo Plasma rifle, Bozar and Pulse Rifle.

For just kicking ass despite obvious flaws: Rocket Launcher, Flamer, all Miniguns.

Last few times I played either FO1 or 2 I do gimmick builds using less popular/OP weapons. Sniper rife is one my favorites, as is the Flamer, but Plasma Pistol gunslinger is also good. Should also snipe everyone with the lazor rifle one day.

I tend towards Turbo Plasma, unless I'm using Marcus. Gauss is great but the ammo is too much of a pain to get.

Eh the availability isn't that much worse than microfusion cells now that i checked it, the odds are lower, and there's one more vendor who might have MFCs compared to EC ammo (Smitty, but who the fuck visits him or the Den by that point in the game), but in the end you still drive back and forth between the chinaman in SF and the angry ncr-hatin' midget in the Bazaar anyway. Plus anyway the general idea should be to save it for enclave goons and eye-shot anything less armored with something more economical like the .223 pistol.

Melcar

Arcane
The Bozar is great but gets boring after you use it a few times. I remember you could get it legit if you did quest or something, but it was a bit late game depending on your play style. The miniguns were all underwhelming, the rocket launcher a pain to use and the flammer ammo just too heavy for it to be useful. You tagged and maxed Big Guns because of the Bozar.
The energy weapons also were kind of meh. The Plasma rifle was the best of those and it had cool death animations. Pulse rifle has more damage potential but the range on that thing sucks balls.
Small Guns and HtH weapons were the best investment you could make (and also the most enjoyable). Personally I always had fun with the Power Fist and .223 pistol, though I always carried a Magnum as a backup.

.Pixote.

Augur
There's a new tasty mod in development that plays around with the projectiles with many of the weapons in Fallout 2. Enemies will also have this capability when they shoot you.

https://www.nma-fallout.com/threads...minirework-version.220921/page-2#post-4500674

GAUSS.gif

- Gauss weapons deal weapon damage (+ perks and critical effects) to all creatures in the line of fire.
- The maximum number of additional targets depends on the attacker's damage, the amount of damage reduction for each target (configurable in the .ini file) and armor defenses of the targets on the line.
- Hit chance and critical hit chance are calculated separately for each target.

.44 Magnum for sure. The weapons you listed in the poll are all bitch weapons for power-gaming munchkins. The Magnum is for real men.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom