Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Game Soundtracks

DefJam101

Arcane
What do you guys think are some of the best game soundtracks of all time? Not just individual songs, I mean the entire musical score.

Turok 2 comes to mind for me, as does the original Fallout.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner has some nice tracks - not the best but still.

bat_boro

Arcane
Knights of Honor have a really beautiful score, and so does Gothic 3 and Planescape: Torment

F-Zero X. It's just really damn awesome, especially the arranged version. The soundtrack really adds to the games sense of speed and fits the gameplay perfectly. Too bad every other game after it just went with generic techno and orchestral scores that weren't really in sync with the extreme speed of the game.

fastpunk

Arbiter
I was actually thinking about this a few days ago as I was converting to MP3 some tracks from the Storm of Zehir OST. So for me there's Fallout and Planescape: Torment OSTs by Mark Morgan, the chilling Icewind Dale score by Jeremy Soule, the Mask of the Betrayer OST by Alex Brandon and Womb Music, and the aforementioned Storm of Zehir OST, also by Alex Brandon.

And there are plenty of other games with good soundtracks: Deus Ex, Hitman: Contracts, IWD2, Tomb Raider: Anniversary, UT99, UT2003/2004, UT3, VtMB, Wizardry 8... I'm probably forgetting a few but that's that.

Melcar

Arcane
I hate orchestral scores. Actually, I just hate it now that they use it in every fucking game. It has its places, like on large scale tactical combat strategy games or even "epic" fantasy RPGs, but I don't want that shit in every fucking FPS for example.
Anyway, the Metroid games always had some good tracks. Zelda never disappoints either. F-Zero is awesome. Wipeout too deserves mention. Always liked most of the music from the old school 2D fighters (Fatal Fury, KoF, Samurai Showdown, Street Fighter, etc.)

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Monkey Island series
Grim Fandango
Anything by Valve
Mario/Metroid/Zelda
Silent Hill series
The Wipeout series has some great tracks too, but I'm not sure if it counts since many are licensed
Also, I've been listening to the Psychonauts soundtrack a lot lately. Good stuff.

bat_boro

Arcane
Hey, with all this HL 2 OST talk around here, I can't really remember if there was music in HL 1?

NiM82

Prophet
System Shock 2
P.O.D. (Very old racing game with nice ambient stuff)
Fallout 2
PST
X3: Reunion
Unreal

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
X-com UFO Defense and Flame Dragon Knights 2 for PC.

Many many NES, SNES & SEGA Japanese games eg Megaman 2, Ninja Gaiden, Revenge Of The Shinobi, Herzog Zwei.

Raapys

Arcane
Warcraft 2
Monkey Island
Tyrian 2000
Loom
Diablo 1
Heroes of M&M 2
Master of Orion 2
Daggerfall
Homeworld
Gothic 3
++

Game music has declined, just like the games themselves. The 90's had tons of great soundtracks, but beginning shortly after year 2k there's been fewer and fewer memorable ones.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
mondblut said:
Ultima Underworld
Medieval techno FTW!

Nothing cooler than an opening to a game with a rock guitar, and then what seems like a stoned hippy who narrates it.

Also, the combat music - it sounds quite similiar to Knight Rider theme. That's the cool thing, walking around with a sword and swinging it to the Knight Rider theme.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom