Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
Unwanted
Dumbfuck
ykLIdPT.jpg
8cD8nTj.jpg
WQ69mJq.jpg
It's no secret that most gaymers have sub 80IQ so when they can't smash their way through and are required to stop and think they throw a fit on the internet. Name more instances that devs tried to make the best product possible but they forgot that at the end of the day their series was for casuals so they aligned their fan base. And before you say something about SMT IV Apocalypse i'm talking about the final dungeon, people cried so much about it that SMT V "dungeons" are linear corridors and even then they had to patch it to make it easier.

FF13 isn't the best game in it's franchise but it's not bad either.

Pokemon Black & White. Hated because of the entirely brand new roster of 155 Pokemon. You don't see any old returners until you beat the game once. Genwunners got mad that they couldn't play through a brand new Pokemon game simply using their Rattata for the 5th time. Personally, I thought that the brand new roster was very refreshing. There was a sense of discovery going in, knowing that every Pokemon you meet would be something you hadn't seen before. Sadly the franchise never did something like this again. Running around Kalos and seeing a wild Pikachu isn't very exciting.

There was also some consternation over certain Pokemon designs ("lol it's an icecream Pokemon!") but that's rather ridiculous when we've had magnet and washing machine Pokemon before. This does tie into a broader discussion of Pokemon's gradual artstyle shift but that's for another time.

BW was the hardest mainline Pokemon game. You can't overlevel and beat Elesa's gym without having the right Pokemon. The Pokemon League was pretty brutal and the final boss was the only time I ever game overed on a mainline Pokemon game final boss. BW had far and away the most compelling story and characters of the mainline games, and did it without trapping you in unskippable cutscenes every 5 feet or making you a side character (*cough* Lillie *cough*). BW was the last time the music was great. Technically BW looks great, and has animated sprites.

If there is one problem with BW, it's that the world design is completely linear, a downgrade from the prior generations.

Alex

Arcane
I think people can safely skip any Final Fantasy after 9. I can't be entirely sure because I've actually done just that, mostly. But nothing I've seen made me think I was missing out on anything. Also, I couldn't get into neither Breath of Fire 3 or 4, but these I admit I didn't give much of a chance.

Anyway, it isn't really a series. But the best Secret of Mana game is Secret of Evermore.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
FF13 isn't the best game in it's franchise but it's not bad either.

Pokemon Black & White. Hated because of the entirely brand new roster of 155 Pokemon. You don't see any old returners until you beat the game once. Genwunners got mad that they couldn't play through a brand new Pokemon game simply using their Rattata for the 5th time. Personally, I thought that the brand new roster was very refreshing. There was a sense of discovery going in, knowing that every Pokemon you meet would be something you hadn't seen before. Sadly the franchise never did something like this again. Running around Kalos and seeing a wild Pikachu isn't very exciting.

There was also some consternation over certain Pokemon designs ("lol it's an icecream Pokemon!") but that's rather ridiculous when we've had magnet and washing machine Pokemon before. This does tie into a broader discussion of Pokemon's gradual artstyle shift but that's for another time.

BW was the hardest mainline Pokemon game. You can't overlevel and beat Elesa's gym without having the right Pokemon. The Pokemon League was pretty brutal and the final boss was the only time I ever game overed on a mainline Pokemon game final boss. BW had far and away the most compelling story and characters of the mainline games, and did it without trapping you in unskippable cutscenes every 5 feet or making you a side character (*cough* Lillie *cough*). BW was the last time the music was great. Technically BW looks great, and has animated sprites.

If there is one problem with BW, it's that the world design is completely linear, a downgrade from the prior generations.
Informative post, the only impression i had from this game is having an interesting story, i do remember trying to emulate it and getting like 15 fps like more than a decade ago. Haven't played a pokemon game since 2014 and that was emulating gen 1 on my phone. My main complain with pokemon games has always been that the difficulty is on the fucking floor in contrast to let's say SMT. I will try to play this game on my 3ds this year.

flyingjohn

Arcane
My main complain with pokemon games has always been that the difficulty is on the fucking floor in contrast to let's say SMT
Romhacks and using nuzlocke rules(permanent death and only catching the first pokemon you encounter) add a lot to the difficulty.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A lot of people rate FF II or FFXII as their least favorite FFs. I strongly disagree.

A lot of people didn't like Legend of Mana, while I really dig the game. It would have benefitted from a higher difficulty.

Falksi

Arcane
I wouldn't say it was "hated", more disliked and viewed as disappointing, but the best Beat 'Em Up 'Ever made IMO (alongside Aliens Vs Predator Arcade) is often slated by fans of the series, and that's Streets of Rage 3/Bare Knuckle 3.

Which just goes to show how fucktarded Joe Normie is because, despite admittedly awful music and a decline in stylistic/graphical qualities, the gameplay is bang on he fucking money. Almost perfect. Because of the stylistic changes the game is an acquired taste sure (I play it with the music off and some Guns N Roses etc. playing instead), but this a real example of Joe Normie not being able to process anything above pure mong level.

Also, the difficulty is a significant step up from Streets Of Rage 2, and that plays a big part in the normie faggots not being able to take to it.

Regards Final Fantasy, having recently replayed most of the main series games and chatting about them in a few Facebook groups, their fanbase attracts mongs like few others. Watching them hail the Sphere Grid as the peak of levelling systems is hilarious.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I was going to say "Breath of Fire - Dragon Quarter", but then I saw that OP already included it
That really is the only jRPG I can think that perfectly fits the thread title's description

Though, you better be baiting about the other 2 games OP

Pokemon Black & White
The changing seasons mechanic was a very interesting idea
Given that this series origin is due to its creator's bug collecting pastime as a child, I always thought that mechanically GameFreak should focus more on the Ecology aspect
But honestly aside from that and the cool main city, I really don't see what major qualities these entries have over Soul Silver/Heart Gold
Also it was here that Pokemon's artstyle started to get fairly bland IMO

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I was going to say "Breath of Fire - Dragon Quarter", but then I saw that OP already included it
That really is the only jRPG I can think that perfectly fits the thread title's description

Though, you better be baiting about the other 2 games OP

Pokemon Black & White
The changing seasons mechanic was a very interesting idea
Given that this series origin is due to its creator's bug collecting pastime as a child, I always thought that mechanically GameFreak should focus more on the Ecology aspect
But honestly aside from that and the cool main city, I really don't see what major qualities these entries have over Soul Silver/Heart Gold
Also it was here that Pokemon's artstyle started to get fairly bland IMO
I replay dragon quarter every few years in my PS2, unlike the other Breath Of Fire games that only have amazing sprites Dragon Quarter is a fantastic game all around, the three games that i posted have a connection, dungeon crawling. Final Fantasy XIII has an amazing combat system and no fluff besides it's cinematics which are amazing even to this day, people hate the game because expectation but i never liked FF anyway so i was not biased to shit on it just because the game had no towns. Another criticism i keep seeing about the game it's people calling the story "convoluted" and saying they need to read the in-game wiki to understand it, we can clearly see what kind of "people" dislike the game.

Some probably think you are trolling with Dragon Quarter too, just like Lilura i'm not afraid to upset the hive mind.

Last edited:

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
022532.1609032332.8654.png

Worryingly many Trails fans shit on TITS the 3rd for being *just* an epilogue to Estelle and Joshua's story with a completely new pair of protagonists whose existence and motivations downplay the 'main' storyline a lot, not to mention being by and large the most combat-focused entry, consisting almost entirely of dungeons to crawl, with all the story bits happening in sparse, often retrospective events.

It's pretty much the best of the Sky trilogy combat-wise, though I admit I kinda missed the low-lvl diving in garbage to craft some food to eat which was so important to the first entry. It has a giant roster of characters you can swap whenever, as opposed to them being mostly plot-gated (like in previous Skys). It has cute minigames, very neat music, looks great, and runs on any computer. Shame that this formula never returned to the series.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck

Worryingly many Trails fans shit on TITS the 3rd for being *just* an epilogue to Estelle and Joshua's story with a completely new pair of protagonists whose existence and motivations downplay the 'main' storyline a lot, not to mention being by and large the most combat-focused entry, consisting almost entirely of dungeons to crawl, with all the story bits happening in sparse, often retrospective events.

It's pretty much the best of the Sky trilogy combat-wise, though I admit I kinda missed the low-lvl diving in garbage to craft some food to eat which was so important to the first entry. It has a giant roster of characters you can swap whenever, as opposed to them being mostly plot-gated (like in previous Skys). It has cute minigames, very neat music, looks great, and runs on any computer. Shame that this formula never returned to the series.
It did return, hajimari no kiseki is just that, a big dungeon crawler with three different teams.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
Dark Souls 2 before all the weird dlcs and remasters if not counting Demon's Souls (PS3) which is objectively one of the best games of all time

What are you talking about? 3rd is far and away the most beloved Trails game.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

What are you talking about? 3rd is far and away the most beloved Trails game.
where, pray tell

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom