Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Best Games of The 2010's

What's yer fave games of the 2010's?

• Shadowrun Returns

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Shadowrun Dragonfall

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Hard West

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • The Witcher 2

• Alan Wake

• X-Com - Enemy Within

• X-Com 2

• Dark Souls

• Dark Souls 2

• Dark Souls 3

• Tales of Berseria

• The Technomancer

• Deus Ex: Human Revolution

• Life Is Strange

• Assassins Creed:Origins

• Saints Row 4

• Batman Arkham City

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Batman Arkham Origins

• The Witcher 3

• Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

• Elex

• Risen 2

• Risen 3

• Disco Elysium

• Mass Effect 1

• Mass Effect 2

• Fallout New Vegas

• Age of Decadence

• Underrail

• Streets of Rogue

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KK1001

Arbiter
Top 10 AAA Games:
1. Bloodborne
2. Dark Souls
3. Alien Isolation
4. Breath of the Wild
5. Fallout: New Vegas
6. Persona 5/4
7. Arkham City
8. Alan Wake
9. Total War: Warhammer II (only PC AAA exclusive - a sad state of affairs for the genre)
10. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Don't have a Pii U or Switch, so I couldn't comment on any of those games (emulated BOTW).

Honorable Mentions: Dishonored, CS:GO, Dota 2, Path of Exile, Divinity Original Sin 2, Resident Evil 2, The Witcher 3, Bayonetta

Top 10 Indie Shit Games:
1. Slay the Spire
2. FTL
3. Shadow Tactics: Blade of the Shogun
4. Disco Elysium
5. Hotline Miami 1
6. Underrail
7. Shovel Knight
8. Mark of the Ninja
9. Binding of Isaac
10. Enter the Gungeon

Honorable Mentions: Darkest Dungeon, Battle Brothers, This War of Mine, Super Meat Boy, Papers Please, Celeste, Journey, Rimworld, Into the Breach

Top 5 Disappointments:
1. MGSV
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Dragon Age 2
4. Tides of Torment: Numenera
5. Pillars of Eternity

Honorable Mention: Dead Space 3, Dark Souls 2, Deus Ex: HR

Ivan

Arcane
Honorable Mention: Dead Space 3
538.jpg

Egosphere

Arcane
Making a 2000s list gets harder if you cut out 2000 - 2003.

2004 - 2009 (maybe you could extend this to the early 2010s, I'm not sure) are pretty much a dead zone for the FPS genre (if you don't like Half-Life 2, which I don't, you're fucked) for a start. The RPGs released by and large can't match up to those offered by the 90s and 2010s. Adventure games are pretty much gone.

I'd have to actually make a list of games and then look through them to confirm this, but I also have the impression that experimentation in game design is traded for derivativeness and most big releases start to feel the same. There are still occasional experimental games with new and novel mechanics of course, but not at the same rate as the late 90s.

2004 had HL2, Far Cry 1 and Doom 3. Then Prey in 2005, Bioshock in 2007. That's better than what I can remember from 2002-2003.

KK1001

Arbiter
The 00s were definitely worse than the 10s. 90s still blow the 10s away in terms of innovation, creativity, and originality though.

Silva

Arcane
The 00s were definitely worse than the 10s. 90s still blow the 10s away in terms of innovation, creativity, and originality though.
I agree. My point about the 10s possibly having more good games than any other era is based on the indie-boom. Notice I said good games, not necessarily classics. Nothing beat the 90s in sheer number of classics.

Lemming42

Arcane
2004 had HL2, Far Cry 1 and Doom 3. Then Prey in 2005, Bioshock in 2007. That's better than what I can remember from 2002-2003.

Not a fan of Half-Life 2, Doom 3 or BioShock. Personally I think they're all emblematic (to varying extents) of why the 2000s weren't great for the FPS genre. Far Cry is pretty great though, and I'd throw the first F.E.A.R. onto the list of good 2000s FPS games.

I think you're right about 2002-2003, when it comes to FPS. There's a few decent titles from 2002 and 2003, 2002 especially (Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, No One Lives Forever 2, Battlefield 1942, Soldier of Fortune 2) but I think the FPS genre had definitely already started to wither by that point.

Egosphere

Arcane

Not a fan of Half-Life 2, Doom 3 or BioShock. Personally I think they're all emblematic (to varying extents) of why the 2000s weren't great for the FPS genre. Far Cry is pretty great though, and I'd throw the first F.E.A.R. onto the list of good 2000s FPS games.

I think you're right about 2002-2003, when it comes to FPS. There's a few decent titles from 2002 and 2003, 2002 especially (Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, No One Lives Forever 2, Battlefield 1942, Soldier of Fortune 2) but I think the FPS genre had definitely already started to wither by that point.
I'm not a fan of Bioshock, either, but it was probably still an ok title relative to the early 00s. Can't believe I forgot about Fear.

PS Painkiller was in 2005 as well.

Humanophage

Arcane
1. Victoria 2
2. Eador - New Horizons
3. Pathfinder: Kingmaker
4. Crusader Kings 2
5. Underrail
6. Warband
7. NuXCom - Long War
8. Dominions 4

Honourable mentions:
* Battle Brothers
* Thea
* Europa Universalis IV
* ESO PvP
* World of Tanks
* Age of Decadence
* Hearthstone
* Drox Operative

Haven't played Witcher 3, ELEX, Dark Souls, Kenshi, Elysian Disco, and ATOM yet.

I also feel compelled to mention Eador, since it was released in late 2009. I'd probably place it right after Vicky 2.
Come to think of it, Eador - New Horizons qualifies.

Last edited:

Humanophage

Arcane
Haven't played it in years, but it was quite good initially. It is uncommon for a (turn-based) strategy to attract such a big mainstream audience, but it is good to have a critical mass of players to create a class of very dedicated autists whom you may try to beat. It was distinctly more dynamic and playable than e.g. the online version of MTG. Ended up pretty challenging and inventive.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Best of 2010s:
- Fallout New Vegas
- Underrail
- Dark Souls 1&2
- Dragon's Dogma Dank Arisen
- Hollow Knight
- Pathologic 2
- FTL

Honorable mentions:
- Dishonored 1&2
- Prey 2017
- Portal 2
- Alpha Protocol
- Resident Evil 2 Remake
- Nioh
- Hotline Miami 1&2
- Mount and Blade Warband
- Deus Ex HR
- Alien Isolation
- Darkwood
- Kingdom Come Deliverance
- Witcher 3 Wild Hunt with Hearts of Stone dlc
- Wolfenstein The Old Blood
- The Binding of Isaac Rebirth
- A Hat in Time
- Return of the Obra Dinn
- Into the breach
- Game of Thrones RPG
- Dusk

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Not a fan of Half-Life 2, Doom 3 or BioShock. Personally I think they're all emblematic (to varying extents) of why the 2000s weren't great for the FPS genre.

I think all three of those are classics. It's really about what you're into though. Do you see Doom as the ultimate early FPS, Quake or Half-Life? For me it would be Half-Life. I like some story, I like some "immersion," I like some exploration and item hunting. Amid Evil is a cool revival of a Quake style FPS, but I'd take a revival of a Half-Life style game ten times before it. Everone's looking for different things.

To me 2003-20012 or so were trash because A) games were too linear and baby's first Western game focused, B) were built for the Xbox and Xbox 360 with their shitty memory and other restraints, and C) the PC ports sucked because the platform was largely written off until Valve eventually saved it.

Lemming42

Arcane
Half-Life is actually my favourite of the Doom/Quake/Half-Life trifecta by far, for pretty much the same reasons you gave - story and "immersion" taking priority. Personally I don't think HL2, Doom 3 or BioShock come close to recapturing Half-Life's success. Where Half-Life is almost perfectly paced, offers an involving story and setting, mixes action, platforming and puzzles together excellently and succeeds through big memorable moments like the Blast Pit tentacle and the tank battles in Surface Tension, HL2/Doom 3/BioShock just feel like meandering awkwardly-paced journeys through dull stories that force you to fight an excess of boring enemies, with most of the attempts at grand setpieces totally flopping (Half-Life 2's bridge section where you have to navigate across the underside is the only really successful one I can remember from any of the games).

Although, I could be being unfair to Doom 3 here. I've not played it in a long time, but my overriding memory is of a succession of really dark corridors.

I'd love it too if indie devs tried to make Half-Life style games, instead of knockoff Doom-era games. It's a shame nobody seems to really be trying. Agreed about PC ports being one of the major blows to gaming in the 2000s, I'd forgotten how shamelessly lazy some of those could be. At least today we no longer get the main menu of a PC game telling us to press the red B button to go back.

Ash

Arcane
2005-2015 had some cracking games IMO:

God of War
The Warriors
Okami
Final Fantasy XII
Mass Effect
Dragon Age Origins
Stalker
The Witcher
The Witcher 2
Alpha Protocol
Deadly Premonition
Dead Space
Far Cry 2
Saints Row 2
Condemned 2
Batman Arkham Series
Demons Souls
The Saboteur
Fallout NV
Alan Wake
Deus Ex: HR
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2
Nu-Xcom
Sleeping Dogs
Dragons Dogma
Tomb Raider
Saints Row 4
Hard West
Shadowrun Returns
Shadowrun Dragonfall

Mass Effect? Deadly Premonition? Nu Tomb Raider? FFXII? Alan Wake? Alpha Brotocol and many more absolutely terrible or plain mediocre games. Fuck me dude, what a list. Same with OP's poll. Storyfaggot shit as well as disgusting popamole like Assassin's Creed/Batman...

Best games of the 2010s

Rules: no remasters/remakes etc. Singleplayer or offline MP only.

Highlights:

Hollow Knight
Hades
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2
Darkwood
Salt & Sanctuary
Fallout: New Vegas
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Worth a damn in certain contexts (e.g you want more of that genre) but not greatness:

Dex
Dark Souls 3
Dead Space 2
Toejam & Earl: Back in the Groove
Xcom 2
Xcom: Enemy Unknown
Spelunky
Bloodborne
Trials: Evolution
Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light
Lara Croft & the Temple of Osiris
Guns, Gore & Cannoli 2
Ori & the Blind forest
Mark of the Ninja
Super Meat Boy
Hotline Miami
The Surge
The Surge 2

Most games I've listed are indie or small studios/projects. Despair.

Dishonorable Mentions a.k.a should really make the above list for being somewhat playable but can't bring myself to for obviously compromised sellout design:

Prey
Deus Ex: MD
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Fallout 4
Ghost of Tsushima

Appreciate this thread. There's a few I missed (posted by trusted-ish members) since I don't pay as much attention lately as a result of decline fatigue. Just fed up with all the dumbing down pandering and decline. I still need to get around to the recent "boomer shooter" revival, as well as a few RPGs that don't look like total shit. I'll also be trying Pathologic 2, Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun and a few others.

DalekFlay said:
Late Xbox, early Xbox 360 era was a plague for fans of traditionally PC genres.

Yes, but this is what you always seem to be missing: it was a plague for traditionally console genres too. Next to nothing was good in those years. A few Castlevania games on the DS here, a Demon's Souls there, very little. It was a pitiful wasteland of braindead sellout games. Little has changed either. I can only barely stomach today's industry because indies are picking up the slack, and modded classics are distracting from the ongoing wasteland.

538.jpg

Hey, it's not THAT bad. Yes, while it is worse than the other two games in the series which themselves are good but not "omg best of all time", it's still playable. Nice gun customisation. Interesting level design in a couple places. Actually offers minor, feeble challenge (better than most modern AAA games). Umm, I guess that's all.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane

God of War
The Warriors
Okami
Final Fantasy XII
Mass Effect
Dragon Age Origins
Stalker
The Witcher
The Witcher 2
Alpha Protocol
Deadly Premonition
Dead Space
Far Cry 2
Saints Row 2
Condemned 2
Batman Arkham Series
Demons Souls
The Saboteur
Fallout NV
Alan Wake
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2
Nu-Xcom
Sleeping Dogs
Dragons Dogma
Tomb Raider
Saints Row 4
Hard West
Shadowrun Returns
Shadowrun Dragonfall

Mass Effect? Deadly Premonition? Nu Tomb Raider? FFXII? Alan Wake? Alpha Brotocol and many more absolutely terrible or plain mediocre games. Fuck me dude, what a list. Same with OP's poll. Storyfaggot shit as well as disgusting popamole like Assassin's Creed/Batman...

Best games of the 2010s

Rules: no remasters/remakes etc. Singleplayer or offline MP only.

Highlights:

Hollow Knight
Hades
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2
Darkwood
Salt & Sanctuary
Fallout: New Vegas
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Worth a damn in certain contexts (e.g you want more of that genre) but not greatness:

Dex
Dark Souls 3
Dead Space 2
Toejam & Earl: Back in the Groove
Xcom 2
Xcom: Enemy Unknown
Spelunky
Bloodborne
Trials: Evolution
Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light
Lara Croft & the Temple of Osiris
Guns, Gore & Cannoli 2
Ori & the Blind forest
Mark of the Ninja
Super Meat Boy
Hotline Miami
The Surge
The Surge 2

Most games I've listed are indie or small studios/projects. Despair.

Dishonorable Mentions a.k.a should really make the above list for being somewhat playable but can't bring myself to for obviously compromised sellout design:

Prey
Deus Ex: MD
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Fallout 4
Ghost of Tsushima

Appreciate this thread. There's a few I missed (posted by trusted-ish members) since I don't pay as much attention lately as a result of decline fatigue. Just fed up with all the dumbing down pandering and decline. I still need to get around to the recent "boomer shooter" revival, as well as a few RPGs that don't look like total shit. I'll also be trying Pathologic 2, Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun and a few others.

DalekFlay said:
Late Xbox, early Xbox 360 era was a plague for fans of traditionally PC genres.

Yes, but this is what you always seem to be missing: it was a plague for traditionally console genres too. Next to nothing was good in those years. A few Castlevania games on the DS here, a Demon's Souls there, very little. It was a pitiful wasteland of braindead sellout games. Little has changed either. I can only barely stomach today's industry because indies are picking up the slack, and modded classics are distracting from the ongoing wasteland.

538.jpg

Hey, it's not THAT bad. Yes, while it is worse than the other two games in the series which themselves are good but not "omg best of all time", it's still playable. Nice gun customisation. Interesting level design in a couple places. Actually offers minor, feeble challenge (better than most modern AAA games). Umm, I guess that's all.

Sorry Ash, let me amend that list so that your one-dimensional retardation accepts it:

Mass Souls
Souls Raider
Final Souls
Alan Souls
Dark Brotocol
etc.

Coz hack & slash games repackaged with stats like the Dark Souls series is hardcore RPG shit.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Calm down storyfag

Ah, that explains you're Death Wish fetish with Dark Souls style games. You are Michael Winner, and I claim my Charles Bronson "Prepare to Die" T-Shirt.

aZjXrld.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom