Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Best Games of The 2010's

What's yer fave games of the 2010's?

• Shadowrun Returns

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Shadowrun Dragonfall

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Hard West

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • The Witcher 2

• Alan Wake

• X-Com - Enemy Within

• X-Com 2

• Dark Souls

• Dark Souls 2

• Dark Souls 3

• Tales of Berseria

• The Technomancer

• Deus Ex: Human Revolution

• Life Is Strange

• Assassins Creed:Origins

• Saints Row 4

• Batman Arkham City

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Batman Arkham Origins

• The Witcher 3

• Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

• Elex

• Risen 2

• Risen 3

• Disco Elysium

• Mass Effect 1

• Mass Effect 2

• Fallout New Vegas

• Age of Decadence

• Underrail

• Streets of Rogue

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ventidius

Arbiter
Bloodborne
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2
Fallout: New Vegas
Elminage Original
Stranger of Sword City
Europa Universalis IV
Total War: Warhammer 2
Dragon's Dogma
Resident Evil 2 remake
Resident Evil 3 remake
Monster Hunter: World
Mordheim
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Trails of Cold Steel 3
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Prey

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yes, but this is what you always seem to be missing: it was a plague for traditionally console genres too. Next to nothing was good in those years. A few Castlevania games on the DS here, a Demon's Souls there, very little. It was a pitiful wasteland of braindead sellout games. Little has changed either. I can only barely stomach today's industry because indies are picking up the slack, and modded classics are distracting from the ongoing wasteland.

The only console games I've played since 1994 were Zelda games, so I can't really speak too much about how that side of the ocean fared. I just know as a PC guy who mainly plays only three or four very PC focused genres, all of them suffered dramatically from Xbox retardation around that time. I assumed this was because they were baby's first versions for console players new to Western RPGs and FPS games and whatnot, but maybe that time in the industry just sucked in general.

Calthaer

Educated
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The 00s were definitely worse than the 10s. 90s still blow the 10s away in terms of innovation, creativity, and originality though.

I don't think the 1990s will ever be equaled. If I started listing out the sheer number of absolute classics released between 1990 and 1999 on all platforms it would make everyone's head explode.

The 2010s were OK. My personal tops from the decade (in alphabetical order):
Bastion
BATTLETECH
Bioshock: Infinite
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
FEZ
FTL
Mark of the Ninja
Shadowrun: Dragonfall (probably the best, but the whole series was great)
Skyrim
Terraria

Runners-Up:
Invisible, Inc.
Kingdom
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Starcraft II
Civilization VI
Hand of Fate

Lots of games I haven't played, though - I'll take a serious look at everything mentioned at least twice in this thread. I have Hotline Miami but haven't gotten around to it yet; making my way through DX: Mankind Divided now and I like it. Not the same as the first one which is why some folks give it a bad rap, I think.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Out of the top of my drunken mind :

Getting Over It With Bennett Foddy
Fez
Dominions 5
Rain World
Antichamber
Amnesia the Dark Descent
Kenshi
VVVVVVV

Did not played that much this decade, and mostly kept to older titles, but found a few gems nonetheless.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
All Time Top Tier:
Dark Souls
Underrail
Age of Decadence

Really Good Stuff:
Hollow Knight
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Disco Elysium
Dark Souls 2
Bloodborne

Cool Stuff/Guilty Pleasures/Flawed Gems:
Alpha Protocol
ELEX
Xenoblade Chronicles
Nier
Deadly Premonition
Fallout: New Vegas
Dex
Ghost of a Tale
Shadow Tactics

Fantastically Produced AAA stuff for mass consumption:
The Witcher 3
Mass Effect 2
Red Dead Redemption

ferratilis

Magister
Hope it's not too late, but I'd like to share mine as well.
First, some random personal favorites from the last decade:
Primordia
Salt and Sanctuary
Devil Daggers
Talos Principle
Grim Dawn
Ghost of a Tale
Enderal
Black Mesa
Yooka Layle and the Impossible Lair
The Book of Unwritten Tales 1 and 2
Valiant Hearts: The Great War

My list (no remakes/remasters because of the rule):
Euro Truck Simulator 2
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Wasteland 2
Witcher 2
Spelunky
Shadowrun Dragonfall
Crusader Kings 2
FTL
The Binding of Isaac
Divinity Original Sin
Pillars of Eternity
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun
Prey
Fallout New Vegas
Total War Shogun 2
Pathfinder Kingmaker
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Witcher 3

And the only games from the last decade that were truly S-tier (even with Bed of Chaos and 20fps Blighttown):
3. Hades
2. Hollow Knight
1. Dark Souls

I really wanted to put some shooter in here, but none of them from the last decade felt truly special like the old Doom and Quake, Half-Life or Stalker. Dusk was good, but not THAT good, nuDoom and nuWolfenstein are also decent but nowhere near the old guard. Titanfall 2 had some cool ideas but felt too CoD-like. Metro could have been great, but it betrayed its Stalker influence for a more linear experience. Call of Juarez Gunslinger had amazing shooting and arcade mode but was weighed down by shitty duel system. It's kinda sad because RPGs and shooters are my favorite genres. But overall, the decade wasn't that bad.

Ash

Arcane
Calm down storyfag

Ah, that explains you're Death Wish fetish with Dark Souls style games. You are Michael Winner, and I claim my Charles Bronson "Prepare to Die" T-Shirt.

aZjXrld.jpg

The reason I have numerous Souls games listed is because those were the rare actually good games, not because I have narrow tastes you dumb pathetic retard. They do what games are supposed to do and place importance in gameplay, unlike the mindless trash you play; hours upon hours of awesome button mashing in a "game" that demands zero meaningful mental engagement, only fucking NPCs like that shit. I would love to be able to list, say, a stealth game or a third person shooter, but there hasn't been a single great one in 15 years, let alone ten. Gameplay has not been the priority in gaming for a long time, it took Dark Souls to spark some extremely minor interest in a return to 90s standards e.g no fucking objective markers, actual challenge, no awesome button, meaningful cohesive design etc because gamers such as yourself are complete retards, and devs are shameless sellouts. Every single one of the popamole games you listed there has numerous older games in that respective genre and style that show how it should actually be done.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom