Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Horror games you've ever played

Zakat

Novice
Oh, and Shadow of the Colossus but you have to be agorophobic to appreciate the scare effect.

If you remember the part with the bird colossus or to be more precise, the lake in witch the battle takes place is huge & when i fell of the Colossus in the middle of the lake i felt a chill down my spine.

If anyone here didnt play SofC you r missing on somthing extrodanery :D

AvP Marine...i almost shit my pants

Starwars

Arcane
Shadow of the Colossus had some really nice moments. I remember that I actually panicked a bit when I saw the first colossus you met take its first steps towards me. I was very impressed with the sense of scale in that game, they really did a good job on that.

Still, I found the creepiest fight to be with the Colossus in the water (where you grab a hold of it and hold on while it goes underwater). I've always found large, dark bodies of water with *something* swimming around in them immensely scary.

nowanmai

Novice
In no particular order - Silent Hill 2 & 3; Alone in the Dark 1; Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (how could ALL of you forgotten this gem???); AvP marine missions.

Edit: Damn, forgot the Thief 3 Cradle mission.

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
Starwars said:
Shadow of the Colossus had some really nice moments. I remember that I actually panicked a bit when I saw the first colossus you met take its first steps towards me. I was very impressed with the sense of scale in that game, they really did a good job on that.

Still, I found the creepiest fight to be with the Colossus in the water (where you grab a hold of it and hold on while it goes underwater). I've always found large, dark bodies of water with *something* swimming around in them immensely scary.
Pretty much

I'm at the one Colossi in the lake with the horn things that shoot lightning. So far, I've been able to make a vauge idea of what animals the colossi represent, but that one has me stumped so far on what it is.

Another Colossi fight that was awesome was the snake. I remember the first time it came at me under the sand, that huge cloud of dirt flying right at me. I was all like "Oh Shi-RUN!" and got on the horse. Then it preceded to run right on my heels, the horse going full pelt, with those FUCKING HUGE EYES staring at me the whole time! :shock:

DraQ

Arcane
Since I never got into the whole survival horror genre, mostly because I abhor odd, disorienting camera angles so prevalent in RE clones, System Shock 2 is my only option here.

Regarding SoTC, it looks interesting, but not exactly horror-like and is PS2 exclusive, so I't highy unlikely I'll ever come into contact with it.

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
DraQ said:
Since I never got into the whole survival horror genre, mostly because I abhor odd, disorienting camera angles so prevalent in RE clones, System Shock 2 is my only option here.

Regarding SoTC, it looks interesting, but not exactly horror-like and is PS2 exclusive, so I't highy unlikely I'll ever come into contact with it.
Damn shame, it's one hell of a game

...I'm a poet and don't know it! :shock:

fastpunk

Arbiter
I'm not too big on horror games. I guess the one game that kept me plugged all the time was System Shock 2. But not because it's super horror, it just succeeds in making you feel vulnerable. Shit, I don't even want to remember what happens every time you get spotted by a security camera. Chaos!

I'll also give a nod to Doom 3 for the audio-visual presentation... and the Hell level, which was un-fucking-believable. Wave after wave of monsters makes for a very frantic experience. Actually, now that I think about it, id Software's games always give me a feeling of dread. I guess that's mission accomplished for Carmack and Co. Stroggs get to share with Freddy Kruger the title of number 1 childhood nightmare.

Unwanted

Zinc

Unwanted
Silent Hill 3 or whichever one it was, the one where you are the girl and you start at the fun fair, and you are in the shopping centre. That was quite creepy. Only creepy in a weird Japanese way though, the way they throw tons of random shit together and have all these weird creatures walking around everywhere for no apparent reason can be quite unsettling, sometimes.

Müg

Scholar
Aside from System Shock 2 which freaked me the fuck out the first time playing it, parts of RE4 really got to me in a way that none of the other REs did. Perhaps because I wasn't stuck in a corridor all damn day.

Alot of it has to do with having your back against the wall after running so long, and watching swarms of enemies come at you, and watch the ammo counter drop lower...and lower...

Nameless0ne

Novice
I'll have to say:

1) Realms of the Haunting (ROTH) - released sometime around 1997. Amazing FMV sequences with really fast action and superb story :P

2) Undying - a marvellous action game with terrific atmosphere and monsters. This game is scarrrrry.

3) Condemned: Criminal Origins - i wonder how come many people think FEAR was scary...when a game like this exists?

4) Silent Hill 3 - Creepy feeling of isolation and desperation, great characters

5) System Shock 2 - fucking scary shit this is!

DraQ

Arcane
fastpunk said:
I'm not too big on horror games. I guess the one game that kept me plugged all the time was System Shock 2. But not because it's super horror, it just succeeds in making you feel vulnerable.
It also did a decent job at clawing your sanity away.

Shit, I don't even want to remember what happens every time you get spotted by a security camera. Chaos!
Xerxes said:
*sirens*
Potential threat detected.
Potential threat detected.
*Hybrid flood*

I'll also give a nod to Doom 3 for the audio-visual presentation... and the Hell level, which was un-fucking-believable. Wave after wave of monsters makes for a very frantic experience.
I haven't even played that (my adventure with Doom ended on Doom 2, speaking of waves of enemies), but wave after wave attacks tend to detract from the atmosphere, rather than enchance it. The only continuous, unceasing attack so far that meshed well with the atmosphere, was the battle at the end of H-L Ep2.

fastpunk

Arbiter
DraQ said:
fastpunk said:
I'll also give a nod to Doom 3 for the audio-visual presentation... and the Hell level, which was un-fucking-believable. Wave after wave of monsters makes for a very frantic experience.
I haven't even played that (my adventure with Doom ended on Doom 2, speaking of waves of enemies), but wave after wave attacks tend to detract from the atmosphere, rather than enchance it. The only continuous, unceasing attack so far that meshed well with the atmosphere, was the battle at the end of H-L Ep2.

That thing about hell was more of side comment. It might be true that frantic pacing tends to detract from the horror atmosphere but try playing the Doom 3 Hell level on Nightmare mode (enemies do 3.5 times the amount of damage they do in Marine mode) and it will feel horror, I guarantee you that.

Suchy

Arcane
The most scary game I played?
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Fucking great game until around the middle where it became a casual shooter.
Oh and STALKER made me jump a few times :)

cutterjohn

Cipher
I'll second Realms of the Haunting. It was a completely awesome game, and I only saw and bought it purely by accident one day while having to wait for someone and killing some time. (It was cheap, and had decent screenshots on the back. The description sounded good too, and well since I had NEVER heard anything about it, I decided to try it, and it was great. Sadly it hasn't aged very well though, I tried installing and playing it a few months back and talk about pixelation city...)

Nameless0ne

Novice
cutterjohn said:
I'll second Realms of the Haunting. It was a completely awesome game, and I only saw and bought it purely by accident one day while having to wait for someone and killing some time. (It was cheap, and had decent screenshots on the back. The description sounded good too, and well since I had NEVER heard anything about it, I decided to try it, and it was great. Sadly it hasn't aged very well though, I tried installing and playing it a few months back and talk about pixelation city...)

Thanks! Same thing happened to me when i wanted to replay it after all these years, it just does not run properly :cry:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom