Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

what is the best inventory system in crpg?

• Monocled and best of all text-based list inventory

• Shitty grid icon-based inventory

• Worse of all absolute dogshit tetris grid icon-based inventory

Results are only viewable after voting.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
PillarsOfEternity%2B2016-01-10%2B19-08-32-08.jpg

Pillars of Eternity
HP: 1128
Endurance: 241

Those numbers are disgusting.

Codex Year of the Donut
can't wait for codex to cheer on those geometric stats all the asian games have instead of numbers because "it looks better!"
this will be your entire character sheet by 2030, and codex will LOVE it:
image.png

who needs pesky stats anyways, they get in the way of my combatless visual novels RPGs

HansDampf

Arcane
Try to portray this inventory system in text only, it will be a lot less intuitive:
DL-113_v3.10.jpg
JA2 is a good example. I don't even know the names of many of the weapons, but I know what they look like and what their strengths and weaknesses are. Same with ammo types, grenades, and accessories. Their names are irrelevant.

Codex Year of the Donut
JA2 is a good example. I don't even know the names of many of the weapons, but I know what they look like and what their strengths and weaknesses are. Same with ammo types, grenades, and accessories. Their names are irrelevant.
:hmmm:
JA2 has the item name directly on top of it on the inventory screen, he's purposely misconstruing how the game's inventory actually looks.

1494422110-658348986.jpg

the fact that it got so many reddit updoots is proof most of this site doesn't actually play the games they talk about

Last edited:

Blutwurstritter

Learned
ool9u4ngtzs41.png

(not actually CoQ, but it's a nice mockup)

From a single glance I can see:
  • how much damage a weapon does
  • weapon penetration values
  • how much damage each type of ammo does
  • what material an item is made out of
  • the quality an item
  • whether an item is modded
  • the weight of an item
  • the charge of batteries
  • the charge of batteries inside an item

Holy shit it's like RPGs should be about giving you information rather than obscuring it behind pretty graphics. Saying you don't prefer list-based inventories is saying you hate information.
Liking items is not the same as hating a clear representation of information, that is nonsense. A normal human is good at recognizing shapes and can skim them faster than dense lines of text. That is a clear benefit of icons. A good inventory should combine the best of both worlds. The names of the items in your example don't seem to provide any information that an icon couldn't, and I refer only to the name, not the numerical values that actually provide information. Good icons would make it much easier to skim that list and could reduce the horizontal space that is taken up by each entry.

Codex Year of the Donut
Liking items is not the same as hating a clear representation of information, that is nonsense. A normal human is good at recognizing shapes and can skim them faster than dense lines of text. That is a clear benefit of icons. A good inventory should combine the best of both worlds. The names of the items in your example don't seem to provide any information that an icon couldn't, and I refer only to the name, not the numerical values that actually provide information. Good icons would make it much easier to skim that list and could reduce the horizontal space that is taken up by each entry.
what information does this image convey:
Wasteland-3-Satoshis-Mysterious-Case-Guide.jpg

at some point you guys should just admit you like console popamole garbage instead of actual information relevant to an RPG

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
JA2 has the item name directly on top of it on the inventory screen, he's purposely misconstruing how the game's inventory actually looks.

1494422110-658348986.jpg

the fact that it got so many reddit updoots is proof most of this site doesn't actually play the games they talk about

That's... the sector inventory, not the inventory you look at while you're in an encounter.
This is basically the looting interface.
This is what you see when you're done with a battle and want to check what the enemies dropped, and choose what to take and to leave.

(also, my screenshots were taken from the 1.13 mod which improves the inventory a little over vanilla :M )

Blutwurstritter

Learned

at some point you guys should just admit you like console popamole garbage instead of actual information relevant to an RPG
Refer to the content of my post when you quote me or don't quote me at all. I do not defend shit inventories like this, neither do I care for your fight against straw men.

Codex Year of the Donut

1494422110-658348986.jpg

That's... the sector inventory, not the inventory you look at while you're in an encounter.
This is basically the looting interface.
This is what you see when you're done with a battle and want to check what the enemies dropped, and choose what to take and to leave.

(also, my screenshots were taken from the 1.13 mod which improves the inventory a little over vanilla :M )
It's the closest thing to a proper inventory screen the game has because it's not an RPG. What you're showcasing is the equivalent of an RPG equipment screen.

And if we look at the screen where you actually buy weapons
commando2.jpg

really gets that noggin joggin. Couldn't imagine why they'd think people would want information about items instead of just random icons!

Codex Year of the Donut

Refer to the content of my post when you quote me or don't quote me at all. I do not defend shit inventories like this, neither do I care for your fight against straw men.
You said icons have a clear benefit for conveying information, I grabbed a recent codex GOTY winner that used icons and asked what information it conveyed, and you got extremely butthurt.
Icons don't convey fucking anything. You've memorized specific icons and associate information with those icons. Individually, they convey NOTHING.

Codex Year of the Donut
Let the midwit strawman in peace JarlFrank .
"I don't like the fact that he's right and I have ZERO counterarguments... so it's a strawman! Posting actual pictures of GOTY winners and asking what information they convey is a strawman!"
You guys are all a bunch of fucking fakes who get off to pretending you're grognards. You jack off to pixels and hate actual information in RPGs. You love RPGs that have zero difficulty and combat, and especially love any RPG where you can copy-paste someone else's build because it makes you think you're good at the game.

Just rename this site to visualnovelcodex and be done with it.

Codex Year of the Donut
Icons don't convey fucking anything. You've memorized specific icons and associate information with those icons. Individually, they convey NOTHING.

text is just a collection of icons

i sometimes call them characters

you memorize them and associate information with 'em

it's pretty dope
Can you tell me what this icon conveys? Is there some sort of international standard for it?
image.png

Peachcurl

Cipher

it's pretty dope
Can you tell me what this icon conveys? Is there some sort of international standard for it?
image.png
depends on the context

Codex Year of the Donut

it's pretty dope
image.png
depends on the context
gee, if only instead of icons it had the text "Open Cylinder Choke", then you'd be able to tell what it is without having to manually mouse over every single item.
Time to go back to jacking off to item art!

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

it's pretty dope
image.png
Bad itemization where you can't tell one thing from another?

Codex Year of the Donut

it's pretty dope
image.png
Bad itemization where you can't tell one thing from another?
How would you represent an open cylinder choke so that it looks different from an extended choke while still looking like the actual items in real life?
maybe instead of pictures we could use... *gasp* a language?!
maybe there's a reason hieroglyphs aren't used anymore?!

Codex Year of the Donut
if you call every sword in your game just "sword" well, that doesn't help much either
If you have a dull sword and a sharp sword in your inventory, they would look almost identical without closer inspection. Text could easily convey whether one is dull or sharp.
You guys keep blaming the icons, and that's utter horseshit. There are tons of items that look almost identical in real life but have very different properties, so stop it with the horseshit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom