Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

what is the best inventory system in crpg?

• Monocled and best of all text-based list inventory

• Shitty grid icon-based inventory

• Worse of all absolute dogshit tetris grid icon-based inventory

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Text and numbers convey much more quantitative and unambiguous informations than icons. This is a fact and I don't know why this is even discussed. Irl do you browse you files as icons or as a detailed list?
If you like icons for some strange aesthetics preference, this is another story.

Codex Year of the Donut
you don't look at the original image, you look at heavily simplified version of it, an icon
no I'm pretty sure you look at a scaled down version of the original image
mostly because there's no way to sufficiently represent what an image conveys in textual format... yet. When AI is advanced enough, it will be replaced with tags.

Codex Year of the Donut
the scaled down version is not the original image
And a quick overview of the weapon's stats is not the full summary of the weapon.
But it's clearly a better representation than a picture.

This is basically a litmus test for whether you actually like RPGs or you begrudgingly play them to to talk to NPCs or something.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
JA2 is a good example. I don't even know the names of many of the weapons, but I know what they look like and what their strengths and weaknesses are. Same with ammo types, grenades, and accessories. Their names are irrelevant.
:hmmm:
JA2 has the item name directly on top of it on the inventory screen, he's purposely misconstruing how the game's inventory actually looks.

1494422110-658348986.jpg

the fact that it got so many reddit updoots is proof most of this site doesn't actually play the games they talk about
The screen you posted shows mostly items that lie on the ground in the whole sector. Its those items that have names listed. This is not even "inventory" in the sense we are talking here, many if not most crpgs don't have such "inventory". The part showing actual character inventory, as in items a character has in his backpack is on the left and is intuitive and without text. So who is the one "purposely misconstruing" here?

Also stop with the "graphic whore" nonsense, it's retarded when used in relation to small 2D pictures. In games that have a lot of other graphics at that. Not that i would expect a better "argument" but one may dream.

Codex Year of the Donut
So who is the one "purposely misconstruing" here?
The person using a non-rpg in a thread about rpgs?
Also stop with the "graphic whore" nonsense, it's retarded when used in relation to small 2D pictures. In games that have a lot of other graphics at that. Not that i would expect a better "argument" but one may dream.
"stop using the argument that's effective against me!"
no lol
you guys prefer icons because you like pretty pictures and hate actual information, simple as

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Gridlists like in Morrowind are one of the easiest inventory systems to implement. I've had a lot of success building with these.
I don't necessarily think it's the strongest system but it's a great system if you just want something quick and simple that has that visual complexity you want in an inventory system.

Text+Icon in a clean list has one major flaw, which is if you're using it for a stash and it gets excessively long, loading the list in can cause an excessive amount of performance drop,
the trick to making it scalable is to break up the list into increments of 100 items (so using pages), then you can't tank the performance.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
can't wait for codex to cheer on those geometric stats all the asian games have instead of numbers because "it looks better!"
this will be your entire character sheet by 2030, and codex will LOVE it:
image.png

who needs pesky stats anyways, they get in the way of my combatless visual novels RPGs
Tim Cain approves, if more geometric shapes are incorporated into the design.

:cainapproves:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
no lol
you guys prefer icons because you like pretty pictures and hate actual information, simple as
What game is not an crpg? I lost you here for a moment.
Also, that was not what you wrote, this was: "...he's purposely misconstruing how the game's inventory actually looks".
So you don't even remember what you wrote, interesting.

This not an argument, it's called "insult". Grow up, for fuck's sake. And it doesn't make sense even as an insult in this context - i already explained you why as well.

Last but not least, what is this "you guys"? What guys you are talking about? I doubt anyone "hate actual information". A graphic based inventory can convey information. As your own screenshot from JA2 shows. The part on the left, not the right, as i mentioned. Stop being so childishly black-and-white. I play(ed) games with text based inventories where text based made perfect sense (Cataclysm DDA) and games where it was really poorly (oldie but goodie, Darklands). Same with tetris-like inventories. Who needs a lot of information at first glance if the game is relatively simple or doesn't require you to access this information often? And the information that is needed can be conveyed by picture? Play Betrayal at Krondor if you haven't already and explain me what additional information would text based inventory add that is not available already in the game as it is now? Knowing you i already suspect the answer so i only say: no, try again this time stay on subject.

Codex Year of the Donut
no lol
What game is not an crpg? I lost you here for a moment.
Also, that was not what you wrote, this was: "...he's purposely misconstruing how the game's inventory actually looks".
So you don't even remember what you wrote, interesting.

This not an argument, it's called "insult". Grow up, for fuck's sake. And it doesn't make sense even as an insult in this context - i already explained you why as well.

Last but not least, what is this "you guys"? What guys you are talking about? I doubt anyone "hate actual information". A graphic based inventory can convey information. As your own screenshot from JA2 shows. The part on the left, not the right, as i mentioned. Stop being so childishly black-and-white. I play(ed) games with text based inventories where text based made perfect sense (Cataclysm DDA) and games where it was really poorly (oldie but goodie, Darklands). Same with tetris-like inventories. Who needs a lot of information at first glance if the game is relatively simple or doesn't require you to access this information often? And the information that is needed can be conveyed by picture? Play Betrayal at Krondor if you haven't already and explain me what additional information would text based inventory add that is not available already in the game as it is now? Knowing you i already suspect the answer so i only say: no, try again this time stay on subject.
you seem upset

Codex Year of the Donut

Acrux

Arcane
5 pages in and ctrl+f shows that no one has mentioned Siege of Avalon? :decline:

Quillon

Arcane
fuck inventory what is more important is trading and best trade screens are in vanilla fallout 3-NV-4 games, why is handy keybinds to go through trading at a lightning speed limited to these games? ffs, they didn't even copied it to skyrim. inventory keybinds must be the most overlooked feature in RPGs, I shouldn't have to select a "Do you really wanna sell this?" yes/no question with my mouse, I shouldn't have to press the ENTER key in the middle of the keyboard to execute or confirm something when there are abundance of keys on the left side lmao

NerevarineKing

Learned
I liked the idea of the inventory system in Ultima 7, but it became a nightmare to manage later on. So at this point, anything but that system is fine with me.

Alex

Arcane
I liked the idea of the inventory system in Ultima 7, but it became a nightmare to manage later on. So at this point, anything but that system is fine with me.
Managing your inventory in ultima 7 wasn't really complicated. Just divide stuff by kind, using different characters and bags to avoid having things mix up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom