Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Mecha Miniatures Game? Adeptus Titanicus vs. Battletech

dacencora

Hey guys,

Just wondering what your prestigious opinions might be on this subject.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
For the system I would recommend Hero System 6E Volume 1 and 2 using Star Hero 6E. You can then use any universe you like. Star Hero shows you how to design mechs, fighters, ships, etc... and use them in tabletop wargames.

To help you create things they do have Hero Designer which is a Java application that costs $25.

The problem with Battletech is that the weapon scales are messed up and never really made sense. The more damage a weapon does the less range it has for example.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hey guys,

Just wondering what your prestigious opinions might be on this subject.
I never liked the ablative armor = HP model of BTech.
I haven't played the new version of Adeptus Titanicus, because the price tag is ludicrous, but I played almost all of the older editions. I think the game really shines with combined arms. It really works better than in BT IMO. However, the pure Titan vs Titan combat feels a bit too limited, and the loadout is too (because it is mostly about choosing what role you want for each weapon, and which range you want. But in a Titan vs Titan combat, you will obviously only take shield stripping weapon, then titan killers, which is not very super interesting).

I really liked Heavy Gear Blitz actually, because the VOTOMS sized mechs made more sense, and the game had a cool ECM/ECCM element. However, what it got over BT and AT in the "realistic war engine department" got a bit lost with roller skating mechas :D

TLDR: I think the best is an older version of AT with infantry and tanks, but all 3 contenders are fun in their own way.

Cael

Arcane
One of the biggest complaints about BTech is that it takes far too long for anything bigger than a lance vs lance engagement.

lightbane

Arcane
The issues of old games with lots of number-crunching. Using a computer would help, or even a CPRG set in said universe, but the latter failed miserably.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom