Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best mission briefings/debriefings

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Discuss!

1. Myth TFL and Myth 2 Soulbligher - in a class of its own, nothing comes close to this imo. The mood set by the narrator and the music was. Just. Perfect.
2. Dark Omen - surprisingly cool characters, the banter was real fun. You've grown to really like Bernhardt and Klaus over the course of the campaign.
3. Dungeon Keeper - some of the descriptions were actually pretty damn funny. I'm talking mostly about the potato version though, 'cause first DK got the best Polish localization ever. The original version didn't seem nearly as amusing to me.
4. Incubation - similar to Myth, gritty, mature, visceral voice of a soldier reading the mission descriptions with some story flavour added. Not nearly as good though, but still effective.
5. C&C, Red Alert, KKND - for the cheese, really. But it was a tasty cheese. First C&C gets bonus points for mentioning the lovely town of Bialystok, officially the best town ever:rpgcodex:

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Thief had great introductions, Garrett had one of the best voiceovers ever.
I liked Majesty's advisor too.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Shit, I yet again realized that all the best games were made in the second half of the nineties:(

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Freespace 2's mission briefings were amazing. Not the mission objective explanations, but when the admiral (or whoever that was) talked about the general situation before that. The voiceacting, the music, it created great atmosphere.

mondblut

Arcane
"Rest well this night, for tomorrow you sail for the kingdom of Daggerfall".

mission-based gameplay is popamole consoletard crap.

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
1. Myth TFL and Myth 2 Soulbligher - in a class of its own, nothing comes close to this imo. The mood set by the narrator and the music was. Just. Perfect.
3. Dungeon Keeper - some of the descriptions were actually pretty damn funny. I'm talking mostly about the potato version though, 'cause first DK got the best Polish localization ever. The original version didn't seem nearly as amusing to me.

:bro:

Also i would add first Starcraft and Brood war to the list. There were some great conversations.

zeitgeist

Magister
1173-syndicate-dos-screenshot-mission-briefs.gif

Lonerville

Educated
The ones in strike commander and tie fighter are nice.

Others: Crimson Skies, Ace Combat, MGS4.

Captain Shrek

Thief had great introductions, Garrett had one of the best voiceovers ever.
I liked Majesty's advisor too.
Thief totally turned briefs into a work of art. I still watch the vids on youtube often.

Otherwise from functional point of view, the Rainbow Six games had great briefs. If you consider planning the tactics a part of the briefs, Rainbow Six turned briefing into an exciting minigame. I remember spending time Just doing that.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane

:bounce:

I also just remembered that the narrator in Total Annihilation campaign briefings was p great as well.

Eyeball

Arcane
Dawn of War, ork campaigns. Also, Warcraft 1 and 2. Anything comically orky and over-the-top mean, basically.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Not exactly "briefings", but the characters in the "tutorials" for both Afterlife and the original Magic: The Gathering games were fun to watch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom