Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best moments in AoD (spoilers)

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
1. Having two fights in Aurelian mines, you win 1 and get to town to heal up. When you return you find that enemies have healed two, are prepared for fight and set trap.

2. Killing (critical strike) goon of thief boss Levir only to try it in next encounter and failing because you were expected to try it.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The romance with the Arch entity. That feel when she sends you cute, flirty messages through ruthlessly sacrificed slaves :love: .

SniperHF

Arcane
Failing the critical strike check at the bandit camp.

Finally activating one of those stupid portals after playing the beta for 3 years.

Killing Hermon just cause.

All the situations you can switch factions either by scheming or by failing something.

Oh and winning any fight with 1HP left.

Cassidy

Arcane
Deceiving a bunch of religious fanatics in Ganezzar with televangelist grade "miracles" for the sake of the local Commercium political interests. I don't think there is a greater Le Happy Merchant moment.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Refusing to go to see Gaelius after meeting with Domitius.
w1TLkkv.jpg
And the last mission in Teron as an assassin, it's just superb.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
High critical strike checks and their descriptions on Assassin path & battle with Faelan, great writing.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So far I absolutely loved the assault on Teron (as IG), Heron's Pass, getting the "Terminator" trait and the "assassin" solution for raider camp in Teron (instakill the leader guy and watch as the rest scatter and flee rather than fight).

First boatman "finale" is quite awesome. Also, I chuckled at several points with stuff like "But that is not THE WAY OF THE WARRIOR!!" and "Where I come from, fighting rats in a cellar is a tradition". Getting the "New World Order" achievement was also spine chilling. I think there were more cool moments...

Mozg

Arcane
Failing to push the guy off the cliff at the Monastery made me laugh. It's a completely anti-cinematic moment that would never happen in a game that didn't let you fail stuff (which in turn makes "generically cool badass" stuff work again, because it wasn't a fait accompli)

I luckily got to do the Abyss without being spoiled about what would happen.

The idiot way to do the Faelan fight.

Crucifying Darganus. Not so tough now eh

Every Miltiades thing. What a rush!

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Another great one I just found: having a "heart to heart" chat with the "demon" in the tower of Zamedi, thinking "hey, he is a sentient being, and a clever one. He is not a Demon at all!", giving him the ring and...discovering he slaughtered all the squatters around Zamedi. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well played!

Unbeliever

Learned
Moment when four heavy armored guards come for as at Teron Assassin Guild. I looked at my two companions and thought: " I should sold you when I had a chance!"

And then we win the fight without any problem. :smug:

Mozg

Arcane
Oh, another one: Getting thrown down into the pit to die with a talker, then getting the demon to fry the village. If you lay hands on a talk-ninja you had better finish the job

anus_pounder

Arcane
Oh, another one: Getting thrown down into the pit to die with a talker, then getting the demon to fry the village. If you lay hands on a talk-ninja you had better finish the job

I always do this every chance I get. Is there any drawback whatsoever to frying the village? If so, I don't think I noticed.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Its fate is not mentioned in ending credits same as Monastery... They are derpy moment too like Delar blocking your way to Antidas after you pulled the maistershtick of Diplomacy, made his Boss and Emperor and propably saving Delar arse in process cause there is no way House with less than Century of Guards can win the game alone... Antidas even gift you with expensive bling ring and you cant kill the retard. :negative: Being Killed by Hamza after killing countless opponents in Arena... They send one Old Man? Its Easy! ... two rounds later... :dead:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
They are derpy moment too like Delar blocking your way to Antidas after you pulled the maistershtick of Diplomacy, made his Boss and Emperor...
You made him a puppet and forced him to hand over the town in exchange for vague promises.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Refusing to go to see Gaelius after meeting with Domitius.
w1TLkkv.jpg
And the last mission in Teron as an assassin, it's just superb.

That is one of my favourites too. It's similar to the death screen in TG quest in Maadoran. When you infiltrate the palace to kill Gaelius, you can attack one of the high rank guards, but you end up with a death screen. It’s really cool.

My favorite scene in the game is the ascension, more specifically, the process of resisting the mental domination. It’s amazing.

Vault Dweller, you mentioned that Scott wrote some of the stuff in the game? Which parts?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
He went over my writing (the ritual with Meru, most endings, the second arch conversation, ship's journal, etc).

Mozg

Arcane
What's the deal with the 17th century English writing in the airship and a couple other places? We get a lot of Magi-era stuff that's in regular modern English. Is the airship from another era entirely or is it just idiosyncratic writing?

It's really good 17th century English writing. I can see how it would be tedious to write and to read if every Magi-era thing was written that way so it's fun just to get the flavor of it in a couple of places even if it theoretically should be more consistent.

Esquilax

Arcane
I loved the entire process of playing as a smart, politically astute soldier in the Imperial Guard. Showing from the get-go that you're not just some expendable grunt and really working for your faction's interests while being a soldier is great. Then, at the culmination of the questline, finally convincing the normally cautious Dux Paullus to side with Meru and forge a theocratic templar order where the Guards would be the true power behind the throne was satisfying. Then that conversation between Paullus and Meru where the commander casually informs him that he's blown up Al-Akia and that "it will be raining bricks for a week", followed by a friendly reminder to not try to toy around with dangerous pre-War technology was fun. Meru just realizes that he's been rendered completely powerless.

The fight between my diplomat Loremaster and the damaged Construct in Hellgate, left it half dead with the Grenade I barely managed to fix and then killed the guy with my steel dagger (1 Dagger 1 Dodge :lol:). And then I just stumble into a guy that helps me turn into a God.

The entire ascension bit was great, augmenting Your organs and whatnot.

Bennie drops to his knees and prostates himself to you. He will be rewarded. He is the first man to recognize your divinity, the first human to submit to your will.

But not the last

The World is Yours

Other than that I loved all the Happy Merchant moments.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
You made him a puppet and forced him to hand over the town in exchange for vague promises.

I understand why Delar feels :butthurt:what I don't understand why he is allowed to block the way to Imperial Guard HQ to Imperial Guard Centurion all while surrounded by Legionaries and why my Centurion had to take it like a bitch with no option to say GTFO retard, intimidate him or just order sentries with Cross-bows to shoot him fight him.

I loved the entire process of playing as a smart, politically astute soldier in the Imperial Guard. Showing from the get-go that you're not just some expendable grunt and really working for your faction's interests while being a soldier is great. Then, at the culmination of the questline, finally convincing the normally cautious Dux Paullus to side with Meru and forge a theocratic templar order where the Guards would be the true power behind the throne was satisfying. Then that conversation between Paullus and Meru where the commander casually informs him that he's blown up Al-Akia and that "it will be raining bricks for a week", followed by a friendly reminder to not try to toy around with dangerous pre-War technology was fun. Meru just realizes that he's been rendered completely powerless.

This was my favorite moment too My PC even became Commissar. IG path while starting as pure whack a mole had very interesting branching later on... :incline: As opposite to Daratian Preator who after Epic start ended up with :decline: Unless I was to terminate Meru somehow as well and single handly destroy whole IG... Sadly at this moment I just went to Temple woke up the god and made Him pupet Antidas so he finally did something productive to the cause. :P

Cadmus

Arcane
I always get a chuckle out of the Teron's Bandit Outpost Quest: What do they want? Oh it's a funny story actually, we used the messenger for target practice because we thought he was lying.
Hilarious.
IG leader's character introduction is pretty hilarious too.
Trying to make the Ordu army leave by insulting their Khan but he says "hmm this sounds strange, you're probably a lying spy" I wasn't expecting this at all and it would have been a pretty simple conversation in any other game I think but he just told me to fuck off when I tried insulting him.

The conversation with Strabos when I'm supposed to protect him from the assassins, he's scared and I tell him I'm also scared.
The thief sentry at the Temple in TG always telling all my characters to fuck off. Then finally I play a thief and he says the same thing to which I reply "tell me to fuck off one more time and I'll kill you"
Sadly, he continues to stand there and tells me to fuck off the next time I see him anyway. Actually this is an oversight I'd like corrected.

Killing one of the arena fighters and the manager saying something like:"What, you killed him? He was a part of the scenery, nothing lasts, I tell you."

Some of the instakill attempts produce a hilarious message, like trying to push the raider leader off the cliff and failing and he just looks at you thinking it was supposed to be a joke.

Dying to the mercenaries in Darius Tomb - Some people get the pile, you get a Tomb!! Especially funny as most of the time you really do get the corpse pile.

Talking to the AG master in Ganezaar for the first time when he nonchalantly reveals "of course we are still in business" not even trying to pretend he believes any of the bullshit.

Killing all the stupid-ass peasants in some of the villages was a huge satisfaction.

EDIT: I also remembered the fight at the pass, defending the gate. I thought ok, so here's 5 guys I need to kill, should be simple. But then more kept coming so I started to get worried. Then I actually check what's outside the gate and see a fucking army of what seem to be all fully modeled characters. What the fuck? My jaw drops, knowing how sadistic the game can be I thought I'd have to fucking fight all of them.

This game has a pretty cool representation of the big battles, like the Ganezaar siege. So many characters on screen it looks like a real battle without any need for abstraction on my end.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom