Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Newish Tacticool Games

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Troubleshooter is slow AF with way too big maps. It's a big pile of slog to go through for some cool leveling mechanics.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Some of the maps are too big but it offers a hell of a lot more than "some cool leveling mechanics". It's got really interesting choices to make in combat where you're rewarded for employing your units in the right way and penalized for being dumb. It's not a matter of luck or trial and error like is so common in the genre.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Out of all the games mention, I recommand you do NOT play :
- Pathways : It is Renowned Explorer with Nazis and Zombies. It has none of the charm of Renowned Explorers, and tactical battles are all the same.
- Broken Lines : Unbalanced, buggy, frustrating. At least original concept, not a copy.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Broken Lines : Unbalanced, buggy, frustrating.
Git Gud
I finished it in hard mode (the one where people die forever if they are knocked down twice in the whole campaign, sometimes less if you are unlucky with the random events), though I failed my Ironman run due to the bullshit logic of the game. It was not fun. In your list, Phantom Doctrine is much better.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm gonna disagree there, I thought Broken Lines was pretty good. Never noticed any bugs, bullshit logic or unbalanced stuff.

Monolith

Prophet
- Pathways : It is Renowned Explorer with Nazis and Zombies. It has none of the charm of Renowned Explorers, and tactical battles are all the same.
Cannot agree. Had quite a bit of fun with Pathways, and I keep returning to it periodically. It does get repetetive after some time, but hits you with new situations every once in a while and the base game is fun enough and tough (resource management, risk taking, different characters). Also, it does manage quite well at giving you an Indiana Jones vibe.

Had quite some memorable moments while failing horribly, or making it out alive after some catastrophies.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Cannot agree. Had quite a bit of fun with Pathways, and I keep returning to it periodically. It does get repetetive after some time, but hits you with new situations every once in a while and the base game is fun enough and tough (resource management, risk taking, different characters). Also, it does manage quite well at giving you an Indiana Jones vibe.

Had quite some memorable moments while failing horribly, or making it out alive after some catastrophies.
Did you try Renowned Explorers ? Maybe playing it AFTER RE ruined it for me. At least I finished Broken Lines at it was clunky but original, I dropped out of Pathways before the end.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Cheers to the folks who recommended 'Troubleshooter'! I'm positive I never would have given this a chance based on aesthetics alone, but it seems pretty rules-crunchy and I fuckin' love that. Digging it so far. More story than I anticipated as well. Good shit!

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
Here are some other one's I've run across.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom