Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline Best open world games of all time

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by PorkyThePaladin, Dec 20, 2020.

?

What is the best open world game ever? Can select up to 5 choices.

Poll closed Dec 29, 2020.
  1. Ultima VII: The Black Gate

9 vote(s)
    5.8%
  2. The Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall

14 vote(s)
    9.0%
  3. The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind

59 vote(s)
    38.1%
  4. The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion

11 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

12 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. Gothic

42 vote(s)
    27.1%
  7. Gothic 2

61 vote(s)
    39.4%
  8. Gothic 3

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  9. Risen

8 vote(s)
    5.2%
  10. ELEX

13 vote(s)
    8.4%
  11. Kingdom Come: Deliverance

21 vote(s)
    13.5%
  12. Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

16 vote(s)
    10.3%
  13. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

13 vote(s)
    8.4%
  14. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

21 vote(s)
    13.5%
  15. Grand Theft Auto IV

4 vote(s)
    2.6%
  16. Grand Theft Auto V

8 vote(s)
    5.2%
  17. Red Dead Redemption

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  18. Red Dead Redemption 2

9 vote(s)
    5.8%
  19. Zelda: Breath of the Wild

13 vote(s)
    8.4%
  20. Boiling Point

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  21. Saint's Row IV

7 vote(s)
    4.5%
  22. Assassin's Creed: Origins

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  23. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  24. Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  25. Far Cry 3

4 vote(s)
    2.6%
  26. Ghost of Tsushima

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  27. Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt

21 vote(s)
    13.5%
  28. Cyberpunk 2077

7 vote(s)
    4.5%
  29. Fallout 3

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  30. Fallout 4

4 vote(s)
    2.6%
  31. Fallout: New Vegas

53 vote(s)
    34.2%
  32. Minecraft

6 vote(s)
    3.9%
  33. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

7 vote(s)
    4.5%
  34. Horizon Zero Dawn

6 vote(s)
    3.9%
  35. Mad Max

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  36. kingcomrade

10 vote(s)
    6.5%
  37. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat

26 vote(s)
    16.8%
  38. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  39. Might & Magic VII

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  40. Might and Magic VIII

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  41. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  42. Far Cry 2

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  43. Far Cry 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  44. Far Cry 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  45. Darklands

12 vote(s)
    7.7%
  46. Dying Light

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  47. Kenshi

12 vote(s)
    7.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Remove Red Dead Redemption 1 & 2, add GUN in their place. Superior open world western game.
    Remove Far Cry 3, and replace with Far Cry 4. Same game, just slightly less popamolified (e.g turn off minimap loot markers) and with a little extra worthwhile content.
    Add Dying Light, one of the best modern open world games (mainly because of the great mechanics. Game has its flaws nonetheless).
    Add Destroy All Humans 2, the best in the series
    Add Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction. Not amazing but lacks filler bullshit most open world games suffer from and has airstrikes on demand
    Add The Saboteur
    Add Rage 2 (Not an amazing game but It's better than about half the games in the poll).
    Add Need for Speed Underground 2
    Remove unworthy braindead style over substance games (GTA4/5, Ass Creed, Red Dead) because I said so.
    No Stalker? Yeah it's on the smaller side and is split up by a few hubs, but I'd qualify it. Edit: oh I scrolled up and it's mostly all everyone is whining about lol

as for my vote for best: probably Fallout: New Vegas

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    • No No x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    As per popular whining demand, adding the following choices:

STALKER: Call of Suka Blyat
    Darklands
    Far Cry 2
    Far Cry 4
    Dying Light
    Disco Elysium
    Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
    Kenshi
    Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

P.S. Just kidding about Disco Elysium.

P.P.S. Or am I...

• Participation Award Participation Award x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Whoa, not Deus Ex: Mankind Divided c'mon bro. This isn't even an arguable matter. One small-ish cramped hub and a few somewhat linear missions off elsewhere. Adding this means the poll needs about 1000 other games added.

How to qualifiy? I'd say:

-Moderate to large open playspaces.
    -Freedom to go wherever whenever in the map, but some of the usual restrictions can apply - certain missions can box you in, islands or hubs you can only access after some main progression e.g GTA San andreas or you don't have enough xp whatever.
    -Significant majority of game time is spent in this "open world". Deus Ex sends you off on semi-linear missions semi-frequently (as it should).

Definitely Applies: Elder Scrolls, GTA
    Questionable if applies: The Outer Worlds (it does, if Stalker does. Add to the poll I guess even though it's not that good?)
    Absolutely Doesn't apply: Deus Ex games

^ Top  
  4. Papa Môlé Arcane

Papa Môlé

I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    Far Cry Primal is the best Far Cry.

I will fight you in real life if you disagree.

With a club in one hand and a flint-tipped spear in the other.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. distant Learned

distant
    Ah fuck didn't see STALKER in there. That's definitely right up there.

^ Top  
  6. karoliner Magister

karoliner
    Deus Ex and STALKER aren't really open world is more like a big hub.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    Added the ability to change votes for those retards who didn't see some of the choices before I added them later on.

^ Top  
  8. jebsmoker Magister Patron

jebsmoker
    Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
    i picked boiling point

*saul myers grits his teeth and explodes*

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Ehhhh...most of the game could be beat by hiding in a corner and spamming infinite owl instakill attacks. Game's stupid. I like that the game now almost has something resembling actual dungeons finally though (the caves could get close to sprawling sometimes).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. prengle Learned

prengle
    no shadow of chernobyl and clear sky are mostly open world too, what the fuck are you on

pathologic is technically open world too i guess

^ Top  
  11. Papa Môlé Arcane

Papa Môlé

Did you play on Survival mode where you can't do that with the owl?

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Lemming42 Arcane

Lemming42
    Daggerfall and New Vegas are my top picks.

To fill out the full five choices, I also chose Far Cry 3 (I like it more than Far Cry 4 because the ridiculous plot makes me laugh), Morrowind (a step down from Daggerfall but undeniably strong on its own merits), and then my actual last choice would be Gothic but I picked Skyrim just to annoy people.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Axioms Learned

Axioms
    Imagine being on the Codex and including GTA, much less Ass Ass Creed, in a list of best open world games ever.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer Sad Loser

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Gothic 1 and 2 are my main picks, and New Vegas is a distant 3rd. The Gothics are just the perfect open world games for me. Not too big, they are just the right size map-wise and have perfect hand crafted locations and content.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Magitex Novice

Magitex
    I think there are simply too many open-world games to pick a winner out of this box, but I have to say I really like the ones with persistent environments and NPCs that don't just spawn to suit. Games like RDR2 seem so authentic but there is just nothing going on outside your box and that kind of thing really disqualifies a lot of games for me. You go to an area, murder everything and then there is no reason to ever go back to it.

I would say Gothic 2 is great but I barely remember it now, I do recall that it had some very nice scheduling going on, much better than Oblivion's so called 'radiant ai' systems. I'd probably put my money on Kenshi here though, I'm a huge fan of everything going on there - just wish they keep working on it and added some basic economics etc. To me it seems like a living open world that you can affect significantly but doesn't need you to save it, bandits go about their business, it is huge and everything and everyone is persistent in the world.

A couple other weird recommendations for no one to vote for:
    Deathstranding - this absolutely seems like an open world to me, you spend so much time in the actual world compared to other games. It frequently changes (like an actual world) rather than a theme park you visit once and forget about.
    Space Rangers 2 - an impressive game far beyond its time that no one seemingly remembers (maybe for the crashes), also one of the few games with an AI that remembers your actions and acts on them. I would say few games had AI like this where it feels like you're not the only person in the universe trying to survive. This kind of thing adds to the world of a game immensely - it's too bad it doesn't sell boxes.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Filthy Kalinite Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    That's definitely one of my favorite games of all time, but for the purposes of this thread we should establish 1st answer to question "what is an open world game?"

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Magitex Novice

Magitex
    Well, I was going to ask that.. but I didn't want to horribly derail the thread as if we were trying to figure out what an RPG is.

^ Top  
  18. NJClaw OoOoOoOoOoh Patron

NJClaw
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    While true, this statement is misleading. Anonymous polls have nothing to do with it.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Kalin Unwanted Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

Unwanted
    Open world game = real-time walking/riding/driving/flying/jetpack hobo simulator.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    Imagine actually playing Far Cry lmao

• Funny Funny x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Talby Arcane Patron

Talby
    Codex USB, 2014
    Realms of Arkania HD.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. CryptRat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Developer

CryptRat
    Is this the Codex? Where are the RPGs?

Some of my favourites :
    - World of Xeen, and basically entire Might & Magic series : quintessence of open world, emphasis on exploration, go anywhere at will, try to bruteforce through hard places to get stronger faster,

- Death Knights of Krynn, lvl ~10 D&dD campaign, totally open world, you get to free towns from their enemies in the order you want (SSI's games have an overworld but not all have a similar campaign structure),

- Disciples of Steel : huge game, with a big world and tons of dungeons and combat system close to SSI's games. You won't progress at will, you need to get stronger to be able and go forward without getting slaughtered, which is fine in an RPG. Very satisfying to get stronger and go further,

- Dragon Wars : the world is a dungeon and vice versa, very cool P&P-ish campaign where you advance by checking your skills,

- Realms of Arkania : Blade of Destiny : exploration/survival RPG, truly a big P&P-ish campaign in video game format, best party creation and best journey and sense of adventure in a big part of a world,

- Darkalnds : similar arguments as above,

- Fallout : not much to say, everybody here played it, solve an investigation quest with mostly no checkpoint while exploring towns and solving their problems. Skills are used as well,

- Quest for Glory 1, 3, 4 : once again, here's the world, solve it via skills,

- Legend Of Faerghail : bad things can be said about the game, about bugs especially (real bugs as well as save system), but its open structure where only the small ending dungeon can not be accessed at will is cool.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    I voted for the following:

The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind - One of the few actual RPGs on there, and no competition here. Most immersive & best adventure I've ever experienced first time through. Later playthroughs lacked, but were still miles ahead of anything else. It really, really felt like you were in another world. Amazing stuff.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - Fucking magic. Hard to replay now because so much feels so clunky, but just so much fun and more importantly the game GETS what this such games should be about......THRIVE. The coolest songs, the coolest vibe, the coolest cars, the coolest cloths, great humour, drenched in cool pop culture. A blast.

Saint's Row IV - Again, magic. Forgets all the bullshit "life sim" wank which later GTA's pandered too, and goes for full throttle, OTT humour & gameplay. Again, it's got that underlying magic 80's neon-cyber vibe throughout, but whereas Vice City's magic is grounded in reality & pop culture with janky gameplay, this is pure futuristic superhero fantasy stuff and plays superbly too.

Assassins Creed: Origins - This is a fucking great game. Wondrous setting & atmosphere, with a great balance of gameplay elements. The stealth & combat are proper good fun, and - even though it is in no way an RPG what-so-ever - it still managers to be more of an RPG than the Witcher 3, as some of the tasks actually require you to think slightly, rather than hold a button to employ senses which do all the work for you.

Gothic 2 - We all know the score with this one. I think it's dated significantly, and I can't replay it as much as some of the other now, but it's still a classic.

Special mention: The Saboteur - How the fuck has this not made the list? One of the few Open World games with an actually interesting and absorbing open world. Lush as fuck game.

Out of all those above I'd only really class Morrowind & Gothic 2 as Open World, with a world worth exploring. The rest I'd have as sandbox games, where the world is an afterthought as a backdrop to things just to fuck about doing.

And if we're including sandbox games, Prototype was a fun blast too.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • decline decline x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    It's strange that Morrowind is getting all these votes, it's really not a very good game. Atrocious combat (unless you are into cheesing the braindead AI), really boring wikipedia style dialogue and tons of fetch quests, a world that feels dead (no NPC scheduling, no voice overs), really ugly graphics. Even the exploration, which some people will claim is great, is actually significantly harmed by the copy-pasting of similar types of places. 40 Daedric Shrines, 40 caves, 40 tombs, after a while it's all the same.

• FAKE NEWS x 7
    • Brofist x 1
    • Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • No x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • M'lady x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Derringer Erudite

Derringer
    I don't really see much point to fucking around doing nothing in an empty sandbox if there's nothing to explore beyond copy-pasted content and an artstyle. Europe and Vancouver Canada churn these games out though. Nintendo at least bothered making something worth exploring in their games to an extent. Renderware GTA3 and Saints Row are the better of these kinds of games since they actually have tangible content to an extent.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.