Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Best open world games of all time

What is the best open world game ever? Can select up to 5 choices.

• Ultima VII: The Black Gate

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • The Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind

Votes: 59 38.1%
  • The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Votes: 12 7.7%
  • Gothic

Votes: 42 27.1%
  • Gothic 2

Votes: 61 39.4%
  • Gothic 3

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Risen

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • ELEX

Votes: 13 8.4%
  • Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Votes: 21 13.5%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

• Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

• Grand Theft Auto IV

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Grand Theft Auto V

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Red Dead Redemption

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Zelda: Breath of the Wild

• Boiling Point

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Saint's Row IV

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Assassin's Creed: Origins

• Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

• Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

• Far Cry 3

• Ghost of Tsushima

• Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt

• Cyberpunk 2077

• Fallout 3

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Fallout 4

• Fallout: New Vegas

Votes: 53 34.2%
  • Minecraft

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

• Horizon Zero Dawn

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Mad Max

• kingcomrade

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat

Votes: 26 16.8%
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

• Might & Magic VII

• Might and Magic VIII

• Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

• Far Cry 2

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Far Cry 4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Far Cry 5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Darklands

• Dying Light

• Kenshi

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

laclongquan

Arcane
Poll doesnt have it but Unreal World is a great open world. But it's roguelike and OP seem to say not consider roguelike I think.

While it's pixelated somewhat, there's portion of it with good graphic (portraits and illustrations) and I enjoy the time finding approriate images to insert there.

madhouse

Triple A makes the best open-world games. Contrarian faggots need not apply. When has an indie studio released anything close to most games on that list? It takes money and resources to make a big game.
Far Cry 2. All 3D GTAs. Bethesda's games. Etc. Basically almost everything listed there is a good example. Far Cry 2 I like a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

GrainWetski

Arcane
Triple A makes the best open-world games. Contrarian faggots need not apply. When has an indie studio released anything close to most games on that list? It takes money and resources to make a big game.
Far Cry 2. All 3D GTAs. Bethesda's games. Etc. Basically almost everything listed there is a good example. Far Cry 2 I like a lot.
Massive, soulless theme parks with points of 'interest' every 5 meters are the worst type of open world. The only thing such open worlds are the best at is appealing to the lowest common denominator.

madhouse

Massive, soulless theme parks with points of 'interest' every 5 meters are the worst type of open world. The only thing such open worlds are the best at is appealing to the lowest common denominator.
Your alternative is...? Show me one indieshit open world "game" with nearly any of the scope of half of the things listed in the OP's poll. You're talking about AAA, or least of all decently sized teams, when talking about open-world games. Imagine calling GTA series, Far Cry 2, TES, Red Dead Redemption and other great open world games made by literal AAA's as souless shit with a straight face. Even boring games like Asscreed are the closest thing to visiting renaissance Italy, and many other points of historical interest. They should do a kickstarter for buying diapers for this forums whenever AAA is brought up because the mere mention is enough to make people shit their pants.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
AAA games are almost always soulless, because they're assembly line products that have to cater to as many people as possible. And the more AAA they get, the more soulless they become. Compare GTA3, when Rockstar were a smaller company that didn't have to sell tens of millions of copies, to GTA5, which is one of the blandest games on the market.

For me it's Gothic 2. The world around Khorinis isn't that big, but very believable for me, it feels almost like the woods and hills around my home. I like how everything is obviously hand built and there are many characteristic places in the wilderness. There is a good amount of stuff to explore and discover, but it's not too much, just the right balance.

madhouse

AAA games are almost always soulless, because they're assembly line products that have to cater to as many people as possible. And the more AAA they get, the more soulless they become. Compare GTA3, when Rockstar were a smaller company that didn't have to sell tens of millions of copies, to GTA5, which is one of the blandest games on the market.
That's absolutely ignoring all the good titles between then and now that they've put out. Selective memory is great when you want to pretend AAA is a big boogeyman, and only things made in a basement somewhere in Belarus are the only good games. Again:
Show me one indieshit open world "game" with nearly any of the scope of half of the things listed in the OP's poll.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
That's absolutely ignoring all the good titles between then and now that they've put out. Selective memory is great when you want to pretend AAA is a big boogeyman, and only things made in a basement somewhere in Belarus are the only good games. Again:
Show me one indieshit open world "game" with nearly any of the scope of half of the things listed in the OP's poll.
Go figure. AAA studios can afford to have greater scope in their games than indies can. They can afford to plaster their amusement parks with more filler and busywork and polish it enough so that immersionfags can larp in them.

That is very small by AAA standards. Here are the credits for GTA5: https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/grand-theft-auto-v/credits

Black

Arcane
ignoring all the good titles between then and now that they've put out.
Such as?
Vice City, San Andreas, all the stories games, even GTA IV with expansions.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/ps2/grand-theft-auto-iii/credits
To say it was a small team is a lie too.
Both SA and VC are good but AAA of 2001 doesn't compare to AAA of 2010 or modern. Now AAA open world is more akin to "collectathons", where you don't go out to explore for anything interesting but because there's crap to collect to get a cheevo. And to be frank SA already showed signs of that, it had plenty of "find all x" for fuck all.

madhouse

You're being disingenuous. Like I said, my point still stands: AAA games = open-world almost every time. There's plenty of good open-world games, even if for some time it spawned a gimmick of aping them as a selling point and putting out less than stellar open worlds, although even GTA V stands head and shoulders above those, i.e. Watchdogs, Andromeda and similar abominations. You'll never see an "indie" studio put out anything even close to what you call soulless shit. I grew up with San Andreas, III, Vice City, TES: Morrowind and Oblivion, also some other RPG's and different genres with open-worlds; to my understand they've all been AAA games, at least the majority. Even now you have fairly impressive AAA titles like Read Dead Redemption.

madhouse

ignoring all the good titles between then and now that they've put out.
Such as?
Vice City, San Andreas, all the stories games, even GTA IV with expansions.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/ps2/grand-theft-auto-iii/credits
To say it was a small team is a lie too.
Both SA and VC are good but AAA of 2001 doesn't compare to AAA of 2010 or modern. Now AAA open world is more akin to "collectathons", where you don't go out to explore for anything interesting but because there's crap to collect to get a cheevo. And to be frank SA already showed signs of that, it had plenty of "find all x" for fuck all.
That shit was entirely optional; the real treat was roaming around and doing crazy shit with cars and cheat-codes. Only aspies and OCD sufferers must do every game 100%, even if it isn't fun at all running around looking for turtle shells. GTA III had collectibles too though. It only becomes an issue if you take away fun you get from a sandbox, i.e. Asscreeds where the game is basically a visual gallery of historical cities with boring missions and side-content you couldn't pay me to do as a day job.
EDIT:
Fuck that one mission in San Andreas where you had to grind your oxygen meter in San Fierro.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Poll doesnt have it but Unreal World is a great open world. But it's roguelike and OP seem to say not consider roguelike I think.

While it's pixelated somewhat, there's portion of it with good graphic (portraits and illustrations) and I enjoy the time finding approriate images to insert there.

Heard good stuff about it. The abstraction is very nice, reminds me of Neo Scavenger

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I grew up with San Andreas, III, Vice City, TES: Morrowind and Oblivion, also some other RPG's and different genres with open-worlds; to my understand they've all been AAA games, at least the majority. Even now you have fairly impressive AAA titles like Read Dead Redemption.

Big difference between AAA now and then

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Also I believe Morrowind was done with a fairly low budget. Bethesda was very very close to going out of business when production started, the initial team was six people.

Technically a game contained in a neighbour sized area counts as open-world if you don't have to progress linearly or metroidvania style (somewhat open but some paths being blocked until you complete other path or requisite), the giant scope of AAA isn't necessary.

madhouse

Technically a game contained in a neighbour sized area counts as open-world if you don't have to progress linearly or metroidvania style (somewhat open but some paths being blocked until you complete other path or requisite), the giant scope of AAA isn't necessary.
Technically Pong is a video game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

The Deus Ex style "series of hubs" design is by far the best IMO and I will hear no argument otherwise.

The very top of the AAA food chain usually make the worst open worlds. The best recent open worlds have come from AA type companies for the most part: tiny Piranha Bytes with ELEX, Warhorse with KCD, CDProjektRed with Witcher 3 (they were AA at that point). The one exception would be BotW from Nintendo, but they do things differently in Japan.

madhouse

Someone mentioned Unreal World. It's pretty crap honestly and has absolutely no replayability. As soon as you build your cabin (massive grind), get enough nets and traps for food (nevermind farming, by the time you'll set that up you'll be foraging 5x the necessary food and dealing more with rotting food than anything else), you wind up with completely nothing interesting to do. And to do it twice is to grind for in-game weeks building a cabin, which is a big no. The world is randomly generated, although it always comes out like a sideways Finalnd (at least if a retard drew it). There's nothing to do or see in that world either. To praise it for being a good open-world is unironically to have sawdust for brains.
Kenshi x 5, thank you
Most games would be better off not being open world, btw
Good idea. Unfortunately the game plays out pretty boringly.

Lots of butthurt ITT. You faggots need a beating. Hilarious how you can't actually prove me wrong, but moan and cry over AAA ever receiving any positive light.
EDIT:
Reddit might be more your speed if you like le epig downvote.

madhouse

ITT newfag campaigns for a dumbfuck tag.
You can't prove me wrong or do anything else other than cry like a woman. Your kind of stupid can only be cured by a savage beating, and I think you're missing out on that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom