Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Best open world games of all time

What is the best open world game ever? Can select up to 5 choices.

• Ultima VII: The Black Gate

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • The Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind

Votes: 59 38.1%
  • The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Votes: 12 7.7%
  • Gothic

Votes: 42 27.1%
  • Gothic 2

Votes: 61 39.4%
  • Gothic 3

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Risen

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • ELEX

Votes: 13 8.4%
  • Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Votes: 21 13.5%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

• Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

• Grand Theft Auto IV

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Grand Theft Auto V

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Red Dead Redemption

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Zelda: Breath of the Wild

• Boiling Point

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Saint's Row IV

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Assassin's Creed: Origins

• Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

• Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

• Far Cry 3

• Ghost of Tsushima

• Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt

• Cyberpunk 2077

• Fallout 3

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Fallout 4

• Fallout: New Vegas

Votes: 53 34.2%
  • Minecraft

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

• Horizon Zero Dawn

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Mad Max

• kingcomrade

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat

Votes: 26 16.8%
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

• Might & Magic VII

• Might and Magic VIII

• Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

• Far Cry 2

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Far Cry 4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Far Cry 5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Darklands

• Dying Light

• Kenshi

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

madhouse

Gothic 1 and 2 really that good ? I never played them.How are their compatibility with Windows 10 ?
2 is. 1 is a little rough around the edges. If you can’t stomach some eurojank you will not enjoy it.
Gothic 1 in my #1 GOAT.

It has a much better setting than G2: the Prison colony. People treat you like shit, they're all hardened criminals, and the overall atmosphere feels just so much better than the nice G2 country side. The intro movie starting the game with hazing from tough guys and a punch in the face really sells it. The Old Camp protection money racket is great, you can get beat up for trying to evade it, and later if you join you get to enforce it. You're not the Chosen one in G1, you're the new little fuck everyone's trying to take advantage of, whereas in G2 you're already a hero. In consequence, rising from such a low starting point really feels awesome.

No game does playing the underdog better.
Agree, the premise is more interesting, although in execution exploration, most quests and world in general are better in Gothic 2. Worst thing about Gothic 1 is how shit the later game is compared to the first 2 or 3 chapters. Playing it for the first time really gives you the feeling of being the underdog like you said. Realistically the game is easy as shit once you know combat and surviving gets much easier later on, and becomes a non-issue eventually, but before you are aware of that the game has the perfect spell for immersing you in the role of a weakling faggot who gets beaten up for not paying 10 lumps of blue rocks, and has to run scared from overgrown chickens and ugly molerats. Nevermind wolves or one of those cool guys in armor that seems worlds away from ever being yours. This feeds into my gut feeling that most games are perfect for their first playthrough, and re-runs are often the equivalent of being a faggot that looks up what build or strategy are the best before even ever running the game, and not enjoying learning (better word perhaps would be to discover?) those things by themselves — these kinds of levels of OCD and completionist autism are pure cancer, and players who play games like that are non-gamers, basically they're even not playing the game (to my criteria), they're merely finishing it as a chore because they've removed 90% of the enjoyment already. I wish I could erase my memories of knowing how to be good at some of these games just to re-live the moments of being immersed in these great games like I was for the first time.
and due to pride refused to use a walkthrough so I ragequit.
Actually based. Fuck walthroughs. Games aren't a to-do list that you must finish, even if you're incapable of getting through them or unwilling to learn from your mistakes.
(and no past Saved Games to go back on) .
lol
That's why I always save at beginning of chapters and before (seperate saves from the regular ones) they are finished. Older games sometimes have ball-breaking esoteric things that are easy to miss and fuck up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
This feeds into my gut feeling that most games are perfect for their first playthrough, and re-runs are often the equivalent of being a faggot that looks up what build or strategy are the best before even ever running the game and enjoying learning those things for themselves. I wish I could erase my memories of knowing how to be good at some of these games just to re-live the moments of being immersed in these great games like I was for the first time I ever laid my eyes on them.
Can't agree more.

I can rarely get myself to replay a game. Feels like undoing your previous achievements, re-learning something you already know, with no pleasure of discovery. Playing a different combat build really doesn't help with that. The only games that make me want to replay is when there is significant branching, and you could do something completely different that leads to a different story altogether, despite there being maybe some fixed conflicts / events. The best games for this have been Fallout 1 and AoD for me, they're the only ones where I started a second playthrough right after finishing the first. Other great games require me to take a long break between replays, years or even a decade before I feel I'll enjoy replaying.

MurkrLurkr

Learned
Arcanum also seems like a weird one not to be here as you don't even need to use the map to travel.

I'm one of the few autistische menschen who played Arcanum this way... I think I can attribute this odd behavior of mine to diagnosed OCD.. When playing open wrld games I have fixed idea that I can't use fast travel 'cus it will mess up my imershun.. So I walked on foot all over the world of Arcanum using rivers, coastlines and mountain ranges as points of orientation... Entrancing soundtrack helped me a lot while running diagonally on screen :) I will never forget the wonder of discovering Gorgoth's pass after fruitlessly exploring Stonewall range. I missed a lot of the optional locations that way, and whole northern part of the world that is not related to the main quest (land north of the Gray mountains), but it was one of a kind experience.. Lately I can't commit myself to open world games 'cus they eat too much of my time, and give less and less.. I rather just walk in the random direction for hours in real world until I bump into someone willing to give me some kind of a quest, or, which is more often, I hit stonewall ;)

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I'm one of the few autistische menschen who played Arcanum this way... I think I can attribute this odd behavior of mine to diagnosed OCD.. When playing open wrld games I have fixed idea that I can't use fast travel 'cus it will mess up my imershun.. So I walked on foot all over the world of Arcanum using rivers, coastlines and mountain ranges as points of orientation... Entrancing soundtrack helped me a lot while running diagonally on screen :) I will never forget the wonder of discovering Gorgoth's pass after fruitlessly exploring Stonewall range. I missed a lot of the optional locations that way, and whole northern part of the world that is not related to the main quest (land north of the Gray mountains), but it was one of a kind experience..
That is utterly insane, and this is coming from someone who can totally sympathize with the anti-fast travel stance. Just make sure to avoid Daggerfall at all costs.

Falksi

Arcane
Just to add to this list, replaying Sleeping Dogs at the mo and, whilst it's definitely some major flaws in terms of world & mission design, it's also go really fucking quality, tight gameplay and a nicely balanced world too.

Definitely worth a play, and one to consider for the list.

Cerulean

Cipher
Okay, I realize I'm asking for some bad ratings, but seriously... school me on Morrowind.

I've played tons of Skyrim (yeah yeah, judge away), and I'm currently playing through Oblivion and really enjoying it. I know perfectly well that these aren't serious role playing games, but I enjoy the scenery, the discovery of new locations and the dungeon exploring, even if it's not more mentally taxing than playing solitaire on my phone.

I've tried getting into Morrowind more than once, but every time, I run into two things that make me decide to eventually quit: the fact that it takes me forever to get anywhere, and almost always whenever I stumble into a dungeon I get my ass handed to me. I do not run into this when playing Oblivion, so what gives?

So, feel free to rake me over the coals, but teach me something.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Okay, I realize I'm asking for some bad ratings, but seriously... school me on Morrowind.

I've played tons of Skyrim (yeah yeah, judge away), and I'm currently playing through Oblivion and really enjoying it. I know perfectly well that these aren't serious role playing games, but I enjoy the scenery, the discovery of new locations and the dungeon exploring, even if it's not more mentally taxing than playing solitaire on my phone.

I've tried getting into Morrowind more than once, but every time, I run into two things that make me decide to eventually quit: the fact that it takes me forever to get anywhere, and almost always whenever I stumble into a dungeon I get my ass handed to me. I do not run into this when playing Oblivion, so what gives?

In Morrowind you have to think and try. DOn't play it with a Skyrim mindset. Learn to use the transports to get around.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

The answer is git good

Not even kidding

Butter

Arcane
Patron

Morrowind isn't about instant gratification. You have to sweat a little before becoming a demigod. It makes it infinitely more satisfying when you get to the point of levitating across the entire map and exploding daedra with your thoughts.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

Learn the fast travel options, which, unlike Skyrim and Oblivion, are realistic within the setting: boats can convey you to any settlement on the coast, silt striders can take you to the larger settlements on the western and southern sides of the main island, the Mages Guild can teleport you to any of the major cities (plus Caldera), and you can utilize three different varieties of teleportation magic (to the nearest Tribunal Temple, to the nearest Imperial Cult shrine, or to one specific location marked with a companion spell).

For travel from the nearest fast travel point to your destination, you want to increase your speed attribute and your athletics skill. During character creation, you can choose two attributes to increase by 10 points, and you can further boost speed 25 points by selecting the Steed birthsign (although at the expense of not selecting a birthsign that would boost your magicka or the one that increases both endurance and personality by 25 points). The athletics skill will increase during play as you run, and you can also pay trainers to increase it. Morrowind's leveling system can be gamed to increase specific attributes at level up; for example, if you pay trainers to boost athletics and other speed-related skills, you can achieve the maximum x5 multiplier for the speed skill when you gain a level. If you want to take advantage of an in-game exploit, obtain the Boots of Blinding Speed.

Newbies often overlook Morrowind's fatigue (i.e. stamina), but as fatigue decreases your character becomes less effective at everything. Also, you're quite weak at the beginning of the game, so you need to choose your fights carefully and have designed your character well. Though Morrowind has a large quantity of fixed hand-placed loot, and you can therefore become powerful quite early if you have advance knowledge.

Cerulean

Cipher
Thanks Zed and others! Once the "get back to work" vibe of the new year wears off a bit, I'll give Morrowind another shot.

Pentium

Learned
faggot that looks up what build or strategy are the best before even ever running the game, and not enjoying learning (better word perhaps would be to discover?) those things by themselves — these kinds of levels of OCD and completionist autism are pure cancer, and players who play games like that are non-gamers, basically they're even not playing the game (to my criteria), they're merely finishing it as a chore because they've removed 90% of the enjoyment already.
I generally agree, however in some cases I will look up some help because experimenting can be a little too much painful (wasting precious resources for modifying equipment in DS) or you can more or less fuck up your build if you're dealing with not-so-transparent game mechanics that not even the official manual will reveal to you or some stats/skills that may prove comletely useless due to bad game design. Take the Luck stat in Fallout for an example - how damn vague the description is, in the game or manual: Fate. Karma. An extremely high or low Luck will affect the character - somehow. Events and situations will be changed by how lucky (or unlucky) your character is. SOMEHOW....ugh-huh ooookay no need to say any more! Nowhere in the official guides is to be found how vital your LK is for aimed shots (besides the obvious base crit. chance). I fucking hate those hidden mechanics you can never discover unless you've played the game over and over with a shitload of builds that I don't usually do anyway. Another such instance of headshakes was when I was playing Wasteland 2 (didn't finish) and one member of my team would get a remarkable exp. points bonus that was apparentely related to their charisma (!) ffs (not INT, the smart guy was a different fella). Why not just give them a hit chance bonus for wearing pink socks? :roll:

madhouse

Morrowind isn't about instant gratification. You have to sweat a little before becoming a demigod. It makes it infinitely more satisfying when you get to the point of levitating across the entire map and exploding daedra with your thoughts.
That's some bullshit. Unless you design your character to be some sort of a fumbling retard, the game is easy from the get go, and by level 5 you'll be doing all of that. The game's no Gothic that actually makes you wait a little bit before you get to that point sans levitation. Morrowind is many things, but it isn't hard. I can't believe that people actually still say this thing to this day. I guess it's a deep-rooted reaction to being poked fun at about that old joke from Morrowind on how you'll supposedly miss everything, even if it isn't true at all. Morrowind's biggest flaw is how there is absolutely no challenge very quickly and there is actually no gratification precisely because you are an OP, levitating demi-God that is 7 feet tall and shooting fireballs from your arse.
I generally agree, however in some cases I will look up some help because experimenting can be a little too much painful (wasting precious resources for modifying equipment in DS) or you can more or less fuck up your build if you're dealing with not-so-transparent game mechanics that not even the official manual will reveal to you or some stats/skills that may prove comletely useless due to bad game design. Take the Luck stat in Fallout for an example - how damn vague the description is, in the game or manual: Fate. Karma. An extremely high or low Luck will affect the character - somehow. Events and situations will be changed by how lucky (or unlucky) your character is. SOMEHOW....ugh-huh ooookay no need to say any more! Nowhere in the official guides is to be found how vital your LK is for aimed shots (besides the obvious base crit. chance). I fucking hate those hidden mechanics you can never discover unless you've played the game over and over with a shitload of builds that I don't usually do anyway. Another such instance of headshakes was when I was playing Wasteland 2 (didn't finish) and one member of my team would get a remarkable exp. points bonus that was apparentely related to their charisma (!) ffs (not INT, the smart guy was a different fella). Why not just give them a hit chance bonus for wearing pink socks? :roll:
I actually find it great fun to fuck around with useless builds until I get an optional build. Not many games are so difficult, Fallout' included, that they really need that much metagaming about stats to be a good build tbh. I do agree that RPG's should just lay out all the numbers in-game, and not in a manual (as if getting a Wikipedia style in-game encyclopedia was an issue, at least as far as pure mechanics go). Think about it: you'll never really know what's the best build until after you've went through the entire game due to unique weapons and armor with specific buffs. Only way around this is to meta-game, but everytime I ever tried it, I felt lame and like deleting the game. I guess just enjoy the ride, even if your party is going to fail miserably and you did not know any better.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
That's some bullshit. Unless you design your character to be some sort of a fumbling retard, the game is easy from the get go, and by level 5 you'll be doing all of that. The game's no Gothic that actually makes you wait a little bit before you get to that point sans levitation. Morrowind is many things, but it isn't hard. I can't believe that people actually still say this thing to this day. I guess it's a deep-rooted reaction to being poked fun at about that old joke from Morrowind on how you'll supposedly miss everything, even if it isn't true at all. Morrowind's biggest flaw is how there is absolutely no challenge very quickly and there is actually no gratification precisely because you are an OP, levitating demi-God that is 7 feet tall and shooting fireballs from your arse.
Learn to read. I never said the game is hard. And there's absolutely no way your character is past the weak stage by level 5 unless you're metagaming the hell out of it. Congrats on having played a 19-year-old game before.

madhouse

Learn to read. I never said the game is hard. And there's absolutely no way your character is past the weak stage by level 5 unless you're metagaming the hell out of it. Congrats on having played a 19-year-old game before.
You are talking about instant gratification. Since in your mind being powerful in-game doesn't count as gratification from what you've just said, what did you really mean? Did you mean reading lore and learning about different things in Vvardenfell and TES universe in general? You're not exactly barred from that in other later games either, as you can play through the entirety of them without touching much on the lore itself. I suppose same applies to Morrowind, but I guess one would have to play it in the driest, most mechanical, almost autististic, way imaginable to avoid dipping at least into the surface level lore. Gear that suffers a lot from diminishing returns? I hear this instant gratification claim a lot without any explanation what it actually is.
And no, even when I first played Morrowind unpatched and without internet access, I was already all too powerful by that point. Gear is easy to find, as is increasing your skills. Stop peddling this bullshit about how it's going to be this great, difficult experience with gratification only coming much later, when literally the only thing required is to pay attention to what your racial bonuses are when selecting one combat skill (never mind magic, you're OP even faster then), and following the main quest which nicely tugs you along early-game difficulty spikes (there really aren't many).

Butter

Arcane
Patron
You are talking about instant gratification. Since in your mind being powerful in-game doesn't count as gratification from what you've just said, what did you really mean?
?????????

It's 9:30 in the morning. Why are you drunk already?

madhouse

You are talking about instant gratification. Since in your mind being powerful in-game doesn't count as gratification from what you've just said, what did you really mean?
?????????

I can see you're too butthurt to operate your brain already. Read my post again or learn better English.

Ocelot

Learned
New Vegas is set on a post-apoc desert region and somehow manages to have a more interesting open world than most open world games I've played.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
?????????

I can see you're too butthurt to operate your brain already. Read my post again or learn better English.
I never said being powerful in-game doesn't count as gratification, and I never said the game is difficult. You really need to stop drinking this early in the day if it's affecting your reading comprehension this much. Everyone else who read this thread understood me just fine, but your pea-brain couldn't grasp the simple, so here goes one last time: Morrowind starts you off weak as shit. No, that's not the same as being difficult, because you're given level-appropriate challenges in the early game. It takes time to develop your magic and skills to a high level, and it's more gratifying when you reach that level because you can remember what it was like to miss 90% of attacks against shalks.

madhouse

This nigga has made 2963 posts in a 27 month time span. That means ~109 posts per month. That means ~3.5 posts daily. Yet I'm yet to see any signs of intelligence. Stop slinging insults if you are going to embarass yourself any further. It only works if you are in the right, but you've never raised any sensible criticisms or points. I've only seen vague preconceptions and willingless to defend things you've not thought about a lot; or worse, parroting other views because you never actually think on your own. I personally think you're a retard and it explains why your views are shit. But that's my humble opinion with all due respect to there being a possibility you might actually not be functionally retarded.
It isn't difficult going by your own words, and I've already explained why in my own words why I think the game easy. If you fail to follow a simple trail of through you might need to stop posting here so much and focus on building up an attention span or to read a book. What do you think follows from that? Think for a moment before you reply.
Weak as shit in relation to what? Have you even played this game? You're only weak as shit in relation to late-early game (convoluted term because there are no mid-game or late-game monsters in practice; or more precisely mid and late game are actually years before actual late-game plot and late side content wise, like final guild quests, etc.) like daedra and strongest NPC's, and the game does more than enough to keep you away from that path by giving you clear instructions, and fairly safe options for side-tracking when Caius tells you to sign up with one of the Balmora's guilds. It only takes time to develop magic because the game has uneven levelling needed to progress a skill, i.e. acrobatics and running improve faster, so do combat skills in relation to magic, which needs more grinding by design — a rather poor design in my opinion. Even then all the levitation stuff can be acquired early provided you've actually selected alteration as your choice of skill, either minor or major. You're being dishonest if you are going to pretend you actually miss that many, or even half of your hits on the first level, because, unless you picked a race with no aptitude in that skill, then put it in minor or misc skill (i.e. not at all), have no fatigue left, and then tried attacking something with no functional skill, you are not going to miss half of your hits. Like I said before, unless you play like a fumbling retard and suck at video games, you shouldn't have problems with Morrowind. To repeat (it seems you don't understand things either because you have no attention span or just don't speak English well enough): the game being so difficult that there will be some sort of a tangible reward in terms of gratification is largely a lie, and you are only feeding into things that people say about this game thoughtlessly, and perpetuate stupid preconceptions about Morrowind. In reality anyone with a modicum of brain cells will quickly realize that you're extremely powerful very quickly and there isn't much in the way of challenge (gratification being the reward of these challenges) besides collecting largely superflous gear, and progressing through main story line and faction quests. It really does make me wonder if you've actually played this game at all. Did you watch a video essay about it without playing for yourself to parrot some speaking points to impress largely anonymous people on internet, on forums and on RPG codex?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom