Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Best PC gaming news/reviews websites?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Stavrophore, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Stavrophore Liturgist

Stavrophore
    With emphasis on reviews. I don't want to miss these good indie/less known games, that slip under radar.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Gamebanshee has good RPG reviews usually, which are critical but not try-hard. Honestly though I usually just watch some extended Youtube footage with light or zero commentary and get everything I need from that.

As for news, Infinitron is pretty good at posting stuff relevant to our interests. I sometimes scan the headlines of PC Gamer or Eurogamer just to make sure I don't miss some important general gaming news, but stay far away from their editorial style content. There's a ton of angry boomer blogs out there I'm sure someone will link to soon, if that's your thing.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. taxalot I'm a spicy fellow. Patron

taxalot
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Crackwatch.com

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Angelo85 Magister

Angelo85
    For all manner of turn-based games https://turnbasedlovers.com/ each month they also make an "on the radar" post which is an overview of upcoming games for the month.
    Then there's https://www.strategygamer.com/ (which could be a sister site?), that one covers strategy games big and small but mostly the more well known ones I think.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Jvegi Arcane

Jvegi
    gametrailers.com

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Stavrophore Liturgist

Stavrophore
    Since its general gaming forum, please don't focus on RPG games only. We have codex for that ;)
    And as i said, i like sites that reviews also more niche game, not AAA or AA games. Indie reviews are very welcome too. In fact if you know a news/reviews site focused solely to indies i would be most welcome to hear it.

^ Top  
  7. Kalin Arcane Zionist Agent

Kalin
    [​IMG]

You probably know of it already but I'd recommend www.homeoftheunderdogs.net

All the good old reviews are still up and are generally on point.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. DDZ Red blood, white skin, blue collar Patron

DDZ
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
  9. deama Liturgist

deama
  10. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Not PC focused, but I haven't felt annoyed reading nichegamer and videogamer yet.

• It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Sjukob Arcane

Sjukob
    Don't neglect codex. You can read some of my stuff, for example, I write something new once in a while, here's my latest piece. Actually, there are plenty of reviews on the codex, it's just kind of a pain in the ass to look for them, since you have to browse specific threads. For example, Ninja Destroyer, cretin and durandal write something about FPS games occasionally, I'm sure that if you're willing you can find many more.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Nyx Novice

Nyx
    Nichegamer is the best video game news website out there!
    That's a huge review thingy, so sad that got buried in that thread. Someone should make a thread only for reviews of games, mods and maps so they can be more easily found.

^ Top  
  13. RingerTheZinger Literate

RingerTheZinger
    check out these ones ! https://mimidoshima.wordpress.com/
    this is not only for video games , its for japanese media as well , he talk about alot of obscure (indie?) japanese games
    this blog has alot of posts

https://quofvnrw.wordpress.com/
    this is another personal blog which is more foucused of games , also he have top 10 games of decade , which i didnt heard of most of the games it , you may wanna to know about these games

also this is another friend of them https://hadlerblog.wordpress.com/

also im sorry for the wrong grammars and spelling (even in this apoligize ?)

^ Top  
  14. Mexi Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Mexi
    Do people seriously still read gaming reviews? The last review I read was Dragon Age: Origins in like 2009 or so. It kept me from buying the game for a long time because, at the time, I only bought games >90 or something scores. Anyways, bought in 2010 and wasn't disappointed. One of the best AAA titles I've played.

FML, I just noticed it's been 10 fucking years! My life is just fucking oozing through my hands since I graduated high school.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Yeah, I stopped reading 99% of reviews when it became easy to watch a chunk of unedited gameplay video in HD.

^ Top  
  16. Silentstorm Learned

Silentstorm
    For those who aren't aware, it's basically the anti-Polygon or Kotaku site, if there is anything related to censorship or talks about how games portray stuff, you can bet the comments will be full of anti-SJW stuff, for instance, a lot of places regarding the Lab Zero Games debacle are fully against Mike Z, Nichegamer is the only place i found where the comment section is in support of Mike and no one believes the sexual harassment allegations and believes the others are the jerks.

I know there are people here who really hate anything to do with SJWs, so Nichegamer is a great option, and they also just talk about games at times.

Honestly, it's a good option, but i barely actually read anything, these days i just go at sites to see what games are upcoming and leave without reading the reviews most of the time or not going too deep at the comment sections.

Anytime i find a decent looking site, it stops getting regularly updated or i find some really off gaming scores that make me more wary of the tastes of the reviewers there.

^ Top  
  17. Naraya Cipher

Naraya
    After noticing a potentially interesting game, I made it a habit to type "g rpgcodex $GAMENAME" in the URL bar of my browser. And usually, after reading the related Kodex thread and acting accordingly (playing the game or staying the fuck away from it) - I am not disappointed.

Sometimes it can backfire horribly though...
    Show Spoiler
    ...(case in point: Oblivion).

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.