Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Best publications by review score

Dim

Not sure if advertising plant?
Sheet: https://mega.nz/#!AEBXTD7L!xUHzf4Xhp_Xt-kUlh_4oW1YXxRE1kK84BPFXzB6zD90
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIZe7sKGvdY

I made a spreadsheet that finds publications with same tastes as the user then averages their review scores into a personalized meta-score. Technical name Collaborative_filtering. People usually listen to sources of info that have been honest or useful because those sources usually continue to be useful. This sheet just speeds up the process. If publications rate relatively objectively, using this sheet will punish hype and selling out. Bad publications don't matter if no one sees them. This approach should also solve all the metacritic, rating and belly flop controversy.

In a more general sense the sheet is supposed to teach open office, what can be accomplished with CPU & net and how to filter through the flood of misinformation to find productive truth. That last one is critical to democracy in current society. PMC sheet can also be used for a bunch of statistics, like which games are most divisive (highest average deviation, column N) or which publications agree most with averaged user reviews (copy 'user reviews' column in to input "by me" AD column).

It works. I found and subscribed to PCGamer because of this sheet. The metrics almost always say the new PMC fits my scores much more than the MC. You will know everything works when 'Emphasis' marks games you forgot to rate. Unfortunately rankings/recommendations will only slightly move the games around due to the "objective" and commonly agreed apon effect.

Help with continued development: Genera are somewhat incorrect. A real statistician going over it all would be nice. Those numbers, I mean what do they REALLY mean? A real OOO pro too. Some find function that outputs arrays of cell references and can be used IN an array calculation. Or a RANKIF. I need a way to hash? new data into the already existent sort and categories. Average user can contribute clearly obviously over/under rated games. More data with similar game names format. Make it all look nicer. Maybe reduce the difference between platforms. Maybe get more independent publications or Shows instead of Games. I live off comments and suggestions.

Blue is what you edit and yellow is the more important information. You need the latest libreoffice to run the actual sheet. When you are done entering or tweaking press F9 to run calculations. Use Ctrl-f to find 1s representing one of choosing algorithm's chosen rows or columns. Some data from http://evilasahobby.com/2013/09/27/metacritic-the-data/. Other from Portia and Importio and Metcritic.com. Thanks OOO calc forum and NP++. Similar sites include opencritic.com, the defunct everyonesacritc, and for user based recommendations try listal, tastekid, critiker.

USAGE GUIDE

First you must input your scores into column AD using one of three methods: Just the games you like and high scores for them.-(taste only) Include games you found over rated or just hated and maybe borrow from the common over-under rated list or user review to publication average score difference.-(objectivity) The point of scores is to say which games are better than another so select a genera you know very well and (first sort into categories) first rank, then rate all the games in it.-(taste) You can rate games with one of two goals; what the games objectively deserve (objectivity) and what you feel they deserve (taste).
Don't rate a game higher or lower than max or min respectively. If you are using Base Difference, rating more extremely than BD will penalize a publication that gave it a score close to your own, more than ones that avoided it entirely. Check 'Friction' for games chosen publications think you misrated.

Set the publications choosing algorithm: AE5 sets number of publications to use. Adjust according to metrics and use more publications if scoring goal is objectivity. Using few publications means the recommendations get alot more exciting but Emphasis becomes weird.
Three nomials make up the polynomial that decides the final score. Average difference X percentage intersections + Base Difference X (100 - percentage intersections) - correlation X 1/(1-Sqrt(number intersections-4)). Correlation AE8 does not really work without many game scores in common.
Base Difference should start around the average difference calculations AB11:AE13. AE9 sets minimal % of games user scored that chosen publications must review aka Intersections. If both Base Difference and Intersections are set too low, user input scores get all the Emphasis but the recommendations will show that this PMC is useless.

Each publication and user uses a unique scoring system including different distributions and values such as objectivity and, for example, educational value. The only thing that reliably has the same meaning across sources is the ranking of each entertainment object against other objects in a similar category such as movies in the horror genera. There are a bunch of metrics describing how good new PMC is compared to old MC. Cell addresses stated here are for PMC. MC's equivalent is usually to the left. Most, AB11:AE13 AC7-8, show how much closer to user ratings the new PMC is. AC9,10,3 describe volume of reviews. 3 cells at column S describe how much chosen publications agree with each other 'cohesion'.

All blue cells to the left modify the game choosing algorithms of columns T & Z. 'Emphasis' = (MC score for this game - PMC score for this game) X number of Chosen publications rating this game. Its supposed to represent how much PMC disagrees with MC. 'Friction' is the same thing but between you and PMC. Input in W10 amount of most emphasized games to be selected in column T. Both columns can be set to require the other in W9 & Y11. Most requirements are disabled by setting their cells to 0 or nothing. Right column can help decide which games to review.

Last edited:

A horse of course

3V5tHXe.gif

Dim

you could set it to: average score - ( average deviation for the game X 2 + whatever your base average difference is expected to be). well that would be the limit. Just two average deviations would probably be better. If you can not get the media that tells the truth, get the media that lies the least.

orcinator

Liturgist
it wouldn't work for me.
for example: infinite biocock is the bane of humankind, 2/10 being generous, and no media would dare to say this truth.

Didn't gamespot give it a 4 in a re-review? (though that's more of a testament to the strength of the backlash than any taste on their part)

But that's a good point, plenty of shit games get universal praise across just about every major publication.

it wouldn't work for me.
for example: infinite biocock is the bane of humankind, 2/10 being generous, and no media would dare to say this truth.

Didn't gamespot give it a 4 in a re-review? (though that's more of a testament to the strength of the backlash than any taste on their part)

But that's a good point, plenty of shit games get universal praise across just about every major publication.

many have given low scores to something they praised in the past, and that's even worse:
1) you aknowledge you suck cock
2) you aknowledge you suck publishers' cock
3) the damage has been already done, you have to stop shit when it's born, not when it earned millions already
4) you objectively suck cock
5) you are an incompetent cocksucker because you didn't understand the true value of the shit you were eating and forcing others to eat thus convincind them and making them convince more and more that that shit is delicious, thus you suck cock
6) you can't even stand nor support your own opinion because you're the biggest cocksucker ever

Dim

it wouldn't work for me.
Its in the top 3 most controversial pc games over 90 if controversy means AverageDeviation * Number of Publications Rating this game.
pc/undertale pc/starcraft-ii-wings-of-liberty are the other two.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Why don't you get the ball rolling and show us what you think are the best (least worst) publications? And I don't think you'll find numerical scores on either codex or TC. Both use lots of words and no numbers in their reviews, afaik.

Dim

Objectively, that is true enough for everyone, its Armchair Empire and Everyeye.it. I only have 2 really good tests; overrating Infinite and rating the pc version of skyrim less or equal to the xbox one. After Oblivion no publication can claim to have actually researched the subject and not noticed how important the mods are. Only those two of 14 did. Infinite got panned by a bunch of respectable video game thinkers in depth and the calculator's emphasis confirms. Eve.it rates 5 points lower at 90 and AE at 85. No publication rated less than 80 and 25/71 rated 100.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
So the replies are a shitfest but I always wanted someone to do something like this. I thought about it a lot recently because on Rotten Tomatoes, they have their snooty review score of a movie but then at the bottom there are lots of professional reviews. I wished I could find a way that matched those reviews with my reviews of films and then maybe I could find a reliable reviewer that thinks the same way as me about stuff, and it would save me a lot of time and hassle watching crappy films and trying to find ones that don't suck.

Doing it with games would be great too, but I figured it was impossible. PC Gamer impressed me a few times too, but then they go and give shit like Skyrim 94% and ruin all credibility with me forever. Basically I don't read 'professional reviews' anymore, at all. I go to the steam page and go straight to the negative reviews because they seem to be more objective. I have bought games after reading negative reviews. I also look at lets play videos so I can see the real thing itself.

Dim

Similar sites include opencritic.com, the defunct everyonesacritc, and for user based recommendations try listal, tastekid, critiker. Skyrim, when modded to beyond recognition is a great game. Think of it as buying an engine for a build your own game. And tittes.

Dim

also try http://opencritic.com

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/metacritics-weighting-system-revealed.81694/ How do I bring these people's attention to this thread? I need help with linear regressions.

http://www.metacritic.com/about-metascores says the middle is at 74-50=62 when its actually at 72. proof: https://mega.nz/#!KpBEjDwA!GTQVarydGXvXSc1Dj4_kVLiC-3MficgA30-r-5ZA6iw https://mega.nz/#!X5oEmYiZ!zbjhsfMAnZz82UxUaMFe4afJQdHZFumm5HQW6PgtAtU

The rest of the highest 'controversy' (probably should rename that) and averagedeviation. if its got only PC its only pc. If its got games you never heard of its AveDev.

---------------------------
xbox-360/brutal-legend
xbox-360/halo-3-odst
xbox-360/halo-4
xbox-360/halo-reach
xbox-360/rage
playstation-3/infamous
playstation-3/infamous-2
xbox-360/alan-wake
xbox-360/assassins-creed
playstation-3/final-fantasy-xiii(i appreciate not having to play each boring encounter)
playstation-3/ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch
xbox-360/dragon-age-ii
xbox-360/fable-iii
---
xbox-360/prince-of-persia
xbox-360/resident-evil-5
playstation-3/heavy-rain
playstation-4/the-witness!!!!
playstation-3/gran-turismo-5
---higest avedev among games over 80 and more than 14 ratings ios skipped
pc/call-of-duty-black-ops
game-boy-advance/super-street-fighter-ii-turbo-revival
game-boy-advance/sonic-advance-2
xbox-360/rage
gamecube/prince-of-persia-warrior-within
pc/the-wolf-among-us-episode-5---cry-wolf
pc/tom-clancys-splinter-cell-conviction
playstation-3/assassins-creed
xbox-360/assassins-creed
xbox/otogi-myth-of-demons
pc/gabriel-knight-3-blood-of-the-sacred-blood-of-the-damned
pc/syberia
playstation-4/the-witness
pc/midtown-madness-2
pc/nascar-simracing
xbox-360/dragon-age-ii
xbox-360/final-fantasy-xiii
playstation-2/fifa-2001
playstation-2/nhl-2001
xbox/amped-2
---------
pc/superhot (violence dicsected)
pc/doom-3 (bad, too much health refil so shotgun to face while bullet soak, overall combat feels too simple, enemieas usually take too much space. bunchof stuff mildly reduces immersion. sometimes scary but everything is hard to see and nonvoiced pda and no keykeeper for 'storage lockers' is annoying. I think low 80 from 88)
pc/star-wars-the-old-republic (besides voiceacting story and hopping i suddenly appreciate guildwars, then webcomic)
pc/diablo-iii (dumbas gameplay and backtrackin, beauty n sound)
pc/darwinia (just a shooter? no benefits yah it sucks)
pc/xcom-2 ()
-
batlefield4
quake4
gone-home!!!!
witcher2AsKin
bannersaga
spore
movies
AOE3
cids beyond earth
-----
pc/bioshock-infinite(everyone i know says its not much of a shooter and does not make sense)
pc/undertale(yes i would like not to kill for once)
pc/starcraft-ii-wings-of-liberty(remake with only video update and somewhat reduced modability, original got 88!)
and dao is #5 how does it look from LP
-
hl2 coh civilization 5
--pc over 6 avedev over 90 avescore and at least 10 reviews
pc/grand-theft-auto-iv
Undertail
pc/tiger-woods-pga-tour-2005
pc/black-white
pc/sacrifice
-------pc by controversy strategy
pc/rollercoaster-tycoon-3
pc/spore
pc/stellaris
pc/the-movies
pc/xcom-enemy-within
pc/cities-skylines
pc/starcraft-ii-legacy-of-the-void
pc/age-of-empires-iii
pc/codename-panzers-phase-one
pc/command-conquer-3-tiberium-wars
pc/command-conquer-red-alert-3
pc/company-of-heroes
pc/crusader-kings-ii
pc/darwinia
pc/empire-total-war
pc/homeworld-2
pc/napoleon-total-war
pc/rise-of-nations-rise-of-legends
pc/sins-of-a-solar-empire !!!especialy before rebellion
pc/starcraft-ii-heart-of-the-swarm
pc/starcraft-ii-wings-of-liberty
pc/warhammer-40000-dawn-of-war
pc/warhammer-40000-dawn-of-war-ii
pc/sid-meiers-civilization-beyond-earth
pc/sid-meiers-civilization-v
pc/sid-meiers-civilization-v-brave-new-world
pc/total-war-warhammer
pc/xcom-2
pc/xcom-enemy-unknown

---------------------------

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom