Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best RPG engine

NiM82

Prophet
The OB engine is very far from perfect, but it's probably the best go-anywhere first person 3D "RPG" engine there is, not that there's much competition. Compared to Gothic's and Two World's it's pretty decent. The fisher price graphics are more to do with content/art design than the engine itself, you can also disable the lousy HDR/bloom if you want stuff rendered MW style.

Digitalos

Novice
Infinity engine gets my vote, I get the feeling it has some nostalgia charm with me though, but I can't fault it. I often wonder if they brought it up to date, what it would be life and I hope it wouldn't be like Aurora. >_>

Disconnected

Scholar
GlobalExplorer said:
And yet there are people saying that Morrowind was resource intensive .. I am actually wondering what kind of computers these people are using?
That doesn't mean Morrowind's engine isn't resource intensive. The main problem with it is that it doesn't use any sort of lod, occlusion or clipping, so every last detail of every last thing that possibly could be rendered, is. A secondary problem was that it took more than 8 months of patching before the engine was stable enough to run on the hardware of the time. Until then a significant minority of users had frequent & unsolvable CDTs and BSODs. The latter is just shitty QA, of course, but the former makes the engine very badly suited to FPS type games.

Anyway... RPG engine means what, exactly? The rules? If so, it's a tie between SPECIAL, AD&D 2ed. and Wizardry 6+. SPECIAL for the character system and simplicity, AD&D for high level mayhem and Wizardry for consistently fun, challenging and tactical combat.

If it's graphics, I don't really see what difference it makes if it's an engine that has been used in a cRPG already. Apart from licensing fees, there's no reason the Crysis engine (for example) couldn't be used in a turn based top-down cRPG like IE/Aurora.

EDIT: Also, blaming poor performance on mainstream hardware is fucking silly if you're marketing your product to the mainstream. You already knew their hardware is 2-5 generations behind the cutting edge.

Andhaira

Arcane
WOULD Divine Divinites engine count as 3d or 2d? or a mix of both? (3d models on 2d background?)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hmm, they were in Beyond Divinity, but can't remember that in Divine Divinity... got any screenshot? Too lazy to search for the CDs right now.

Suchy

Arcane
Assassin's Creed. The game is not an RPG and it's quite a pile of crap, but the engine seems flexible enough to do almost any type of RPG with it. I can easily imagine a Witcher-like or Oblivionclone made with this engine.

Texas Red

Whiner
JarlFrank said:
Hmm, they were in Beyond Divinity, but can't remember that in Divine Divinity... got any screenshot? Too lazy to search for the CDs right now.

Ever heard about searching for screenshots :lol:

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
DraQ said:
What's so great about OB's engine? Not exactly fast, not exactly stable, not exactly able to avoid phisherprice look...

It has teh bloom!

More seriously, I think that it could be used to make an excellent RPG. I do think the physics of it are a lot of fun and could be used to make for far more interesting interaction with the game world than what Oblivion offered.

Raapys

Arcane
Mefi said:
DraQ said:
What's so great about OB's engine? Not exactly fast, not exactly stable, not exactly able to avoid phisherprice look...

It has teh bloom!

More seriously, I think that it could be used to make an excellent RPG. I do think the physics of it are a lot of fun and could be used to make for far more interesting interaction with the game world than what Oblivion offered.
I don't think the physics are so great in that particular game, actually. It's as if the whole world is running in slow-motion; just doesn't feel right. Besides, it, apparantly, requires seperate cells both for cities and all interiors, something that really sucks; constantly going through loading screens can ruin a game. Also, there's something very off-putting about the graphical style of the engine itself. It could simply be the artwork that is poor, but I think it's at least partially because of the engine as well.

Lemunde

Scholar
I think Dungeon Siege had a really neat engine. It had the no loading thing going for it and it ran really smooth. Too bad the games built on it sucked balls.

Binary

Liturgist
Anyone tried Faery Tale Adventures 2? That engine with Ultima 7's inventory system would be fantastic.

Andhaira

Arcane
Hmm Faery Tale 2'sengine looked quite noice, but the animations were too stiff/jerky and there were skippy frames.

Honestly Ultima 7's own engine is bloody fantastic; all it needs its turnbased combat, and deepr char customization (increase atrributes manually)

DraQ

Arcane
Mefi said:
Physics was handled by a middleware completely unrelated to the engine itself. It was also horribly misimplemented with NPCs and creatures flying dozens of meters away after being hit by a sword/blunt (lol)/arrow, then slowly settling down due to gentle pull of gravity.

Raapys said:
Besides, it, apparantly, requires seperate cells both for cities and all interiors
It doesn't *require* it, it was simply a design decission made to reduce the strain put on the computer's resources by horribly bloated engine. There are mods replacing cities with open variants.

Raapys

Arcane
DraQ said:
It doesn't *require* it, it was simply a design decission made to reduce the strain put on the computer's resources by horribly bloated engine. There are mods replacing cities with open variants.
Yah, I read about the open cities mod, although I'm not sure what kind of performance hit it causes. Strange they went for closed cities though. Doesn't the game use merely an improved/newer version of Morrowind's engine? From what I remember there were no problems with open cities then.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Nah, it's a completely different engine. Flying is also not possible in the Oblivion engine, that's why they took out levitation, and creatures like cliffracers.

DraQ

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Nah, it's a completely different engine. Flying is also not possible in the Oblivion engine, that's why they took out levitation, and creatures like cliffracers.
You can fly after using tcl command, so implementing flying that leaves collision detection active doesn't seem particularily troublesome. I think they either removed it because they were too retarded to make it not interfere with their closed cities (for example by setting maximum levitation altitude two meters lower than city walls), because their hyped AI was utter phail when it came to handling levitating opponents (not that it does much better at handling ground based ones), or because they didn't want to confuse nextgentards by making places where levitation would actually be useful.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I remember using levitation in Morrowind and having lots of fun with it, in some dungeons even finding hidden places. In Oblivion you could actually make yourself a ring in the construction set that enabled you to jump from Bruma to the Imperial cities. Being above the cities looks... crappy, to say the least. But still, why no levitation that is limited to indoors? Bah.

Binary

Liturgist
Andhaira said:
Hmm Faery Tale 2'sengine looked quite noice, but the animations were too stiff/jerky and there were skippy frames.

I don't remember such a thing, but it has been a few years since I played/finished it. I remember, for the engine alone, for the 2nd time in my life looking at it as a "potential U7-killer"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom