Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best RPG of the year - 2011 Top 10 Bitch and wine Thread!

hanssolo

Educated
Crooked Bee said:
hanssolo said:
Demise: Ascension

At first I was all :love:

hanssolo said:
I haven't played Ascension

But then I was all :rpgcodex:

It's hard to get into, but it's certainly a unique experience.

I mean, I paid > $30 for it, so it must be unique.

No I mean, seriously. It's unique. And addictive. And whoa, spinners!

Also, posting drunk on the Codex ololol.

Okay I believe I've spammed this thread enough. You must be fuckin' tired of me already. I'm outta here!

I played Rise of the Ku'tan many years ago and had a lot of fun with it, but I (STILL) can't find a torrent for Ascension and $30 is the difference between me eating or not for a week. You've totally sold me on it again, though, so if I never post again due to starvation/murder by debt collector's it's on your insect head.

Having played it or not, though, I don't think it's a hard sell that it's the best RPG this year.

p.s. Jaesun, if Underworld gets it's graphic update before the end of the year, I vote for that instead of Frayed Knights.

ChristofferC

Magister
There is nothing RPGy about DX:HR. Ok, there are skill points, but you can spend them on la la la whatever la la la doesn't matter.

Suchy

Arcane
Gerrard said:
Suchy said:
thesoup said:
DX: HR can't even be loosely considered an RPG. It's just a stat heavy action game.

I liked it despite its flaws, but let's not fool ourselves over its genre.
And yet it does a way better job at being an RPG than most of so called 'true' RPG's.
Are you fucking serious? At least in the original the superficial choices had SOME effect, even if only cosmetic. What choices are there in HR that have ANY effect? Walking into the women's toilet?

Also, there are stats in HR?
And how many of the 'true' RPGs have actual choices that matter? From this year's releases only TW2 did a better job at C&C (and probably some F:NV DLC's, but I haven't played any), and in the end DX:HR was still a better game.

Gerrard

Arcane
'What are those 'true' RPGs you speak of? Old dungeon crawlers? For the record, I don't consider them to be any more "RPG" than Human Revolution. We should call them "games where your character's/party's numbers go up".

Oh shit, here comes the angry mob. Deal with it.

I also voted "None of the above" in the other thread. I'd vote Vew Vegas, but I think voting on DLC is stupid.

Why are we even having these threads now, before Bethesda's RPG of the year is released? Or maybe even Skyward Sword?

Mortmal

Arcane
hunting_corpse_encounter.jpg

priest_status.jpg

rat_encounter.jpg

catacombs_access.jpg

if the revamp is released this year it might gets a few votes, seriously.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
People decide for themselves what they'll label as RPG... Don't see how Jaesun could make that decision considering the difference of opinion on the subject.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
hanssolo said:
but I (STILL) can't find a torrent for Ascension

That's because it's only in pre-release and hasn't been officially distributed yet. As of now, the developer (forgot what his name is) hands out activation keys individually via e-mails, thereby keeping track of the game's installations. The system is quite complicated, actually: you need one unique key to download the game and another unique key to activate it, otherwise it won't launch. Which makes it impossible to upload the game somewhere for other people to download without compromising oneself, given that the dev could, I believe, easily track the origin of that particular copy of the game.

Given your situation, I'd say you should wait until it gets officially released (should be soon hopefully, as the game is already perfectly playable for an indie, and I've just received an email with October 2011 update, meaning the progress is going strong). Just don't starve please. Thanks.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Witcher 2.

It's the only "RPG" I even played that was released this year :( and it wasn't even that great. Frayed Knights looks okay, but I have a hell of a backlog to get through before I will play that.

curry

Arcane
are you guys fuckin kidding me? Th Witcher 2 isn't an RPG. The only reason why it gets votes is because KKKodex has a shitload of Potatos and Potatos are gonna vote for potato products no matter what.

Captain Shrek

curry said:
are you guys fuckin kidding me? Th Witcher 2 isn't an RPG. The only reason why it gets votes is because KKKodex has a shitload of Potatos and Potatos are gonna vote for potato products no matter what.

If witcher 2 is NOT an RPG neither is Risen and Gothic.

curry

Arcane
Captain Shrek said:
curry said:

u mad?

Satan

Educated
Planescape Torment is not an rpg because it's adventure game, you talk too much there

fallout is not rpg because it's tactical combat based (tactical strategy)

oblivion is rpg because you can roleplay your character

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
curry said:
Captain Shrek said:
curry said:

u mad?
Why, what is the big difference between TW2 and Gothic that makes the latter an RPG and TW2 not?

Satan

Educated
one is german and the other one is polish.

is that not enough for you?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Suchy said:
thesoup said:
DX: HR can't even be loosely considered an RPG. It's just a stat heavy action game.

I liked it despite its flaws, but let's not fool ourselves over its genre.
And yet it does a way better job at being an RPG than most of so called 'true' RPG's.
How so?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
J_C said:
curry said:
Captain Shrek said:
curry said:

u mad?
Why, what is the big difference between TW2 and Gothic that makes the latter an RPG and TW2 not?
Gothic vs TW2 is sandbox gameplay vs story-driven gameplay, i.e. apples and oranges.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom