Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best RPG of the year - 2011 Top 10

Deus Ex:HR
Witcher 2
Drakensang RoT

ricolikesrice

Arcane
shame that between Deus Ex: Human Revolution and The Witcher 2 people are missing out on what was really the best RPG of 2011:

Dead Rising 2: Off the record.

non-linear gameplay, REAL choice and consequences to your ACTIONs (opposed to merely picking different dialogue options) and deep character customization and progression options make Frank West a much better RPG protagonist than Geralt or Adam Jensen imho.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Fallout New Vegas: Old World Blues (best everything and funny too)
Fallout New Vegas: Dead Money (best everything but not funny like OWB)

edit: removed the numbering because Coyote (and Grunker too I see now) said Jaesun wouldn't like me if I didn't.

edit 2: removed Twitcher 2 and Deus Ex 3. I didn't like them and I don't need them on the list just because they were two of the few rpgs I played this year.

7hm

Scholar
Is this still a real thread or has it turned into inane argument thread?

If real:

Dungeons of Dredmor
Frayed Knights

DoD inasmuch as roguelike are RPGs, and Frayed Knights based solely on the demo - I fully expect the rest of the game to be the sameish which is fine by me.

Not a banner year for RPGs, but whatever. Very much looking forward to playing Frayed Knights after I finish off another KOTC playthrough.

(Seriously, why complain. Unless you've played the entire canon I'm sure you can find something good that's new to you.)

Skyrim might be ok and I've still got to try Aveyond. Not a big fan of the later Vogel stuff but there was a certain minimum quality to his stuff, so I'm sure it'll be decent.

meh

Educated
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Deus Ex: Human Revolution: The Missing Link
Dead Money
Old World Blues
Lonesome Road
Honest Hearts
Football Manager 2012
DOTA 2

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Dungeons of Dredmor.

Only thing released in 2011 that I played that can be considered a RPG, and it was more than decent at that. So there. I'd love to add Chantelise but it's not exactly a RPG (sorry, Crooked Bee), though it is a fine game. Heck, that'd also mean I'd add TW2 despite its flaws but the same rule applies.

Wise Emperor

Arcane
Its too early to cast a vote because most of the codex will try Skyrim and probably change their minds. Still i don't have high hopes for new Bethesda game. So my votes for now:

Dead Money
Deus Ex HR
Old World Blues

Rest in completely random order:
Drakensang
Honest Hearts
Lonesome Road
Frayed Knights(I played only demo).

Dragon Age 2 goes for place 99.

Other RPG I didn't tried yet. But with first Witcher disappointment I don't think I will spend my money on the second one other than when it hits some bargain bin. Same goes with Two Worlds II.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Dungeons of Dredmor
Two Worlds II
The Witcher 2

Cynic

Arcane
ToEE with the latest version of the Co8 modpack. It was released this year so it counts mofoz! This game is fuckloads better than anything on these shitty lists. I WIN!

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Frayed Knights
Dungeons of Dredmor

Those didn't really tickle my fancy but there's no other PC RPGs out, and I don't really want to vote for DLCs.

Uh... wow. What a year.

flabbyjack

Arcane
Skyrim
Witcher 2
Dragon Age 2
Drakensang: River of Time
Dark Souls

I just had to put Witcher 2, because it made people do this. Over 10 minutes, but I honestly have never seen someone rage so amusingly. He has no idea how to fight because there is no tutorial, and he fails over and over and over again talking about how terribad the game is.

Oh my god this is insane you block a bunch of dudes and they gangbang you they should have learned from Assassins Creed but they decided to go their own route and make the game shitty. I sure hope that it gets fun soon because this is horrible. Buggy bullshit. Stop fucking chasing me, you asshole!

Oh my god he blocks and counterattacks for monster(10% of his hitpoints) damage. Oh team up on me there's nothing I can do! The game is cheating because the enemy is not blocking my attacks, instead he's attacking!

I interrupted his attack with my attack and he blocked, so what the game does is hold block indefinitely and the enemies don't have to follow the same rules as you *clap clap clap* This is the PROLOGUE not the end of the game, this should be easy. I hate when a game has massive potential but its squandered because they are so inept.

(player casts a paralyze spell and it paralyzes one enemy instead of 2 or more enemies) That guy walked right through my magic and it had no effect! Magic doesn't work AT ALL it goes right through them. They circle around me and beat the fuck out of me what am I supposed to do? They are completely immune to my magic, its supposed to work but its too buggy. They didn't test their own game, they didn't, they really didn't.

(Player attacks a door) Oh that's definitely what I wanted to do. Eat my fucking dick! Now I'm not at full life yet so I get to stand here like an asshole and wait. (Last 10% of health regenerates in about 3-5 seconds)

(player fails at using the door) So fucking buggy. I mean, how can you not know this game is buggy? He has hit combos that don't complete because you are too far away, but the game is too dumb to know. This game feels half done.

What the fuck, you're hitting the wrong guy! And I get gang-banged because of it. When I press Q nothing happens. I can get hit when I'm dodging! What's the point of the dodge them. *guy stands still and dies* (Transcribers note: Dodge is actually uber invulnerability I think)

Apparently a suit of armor means you can do whatever you want in life, you can bulldoze through like nothing. In that case give ME a suit of armor you stupid game. This is so buttfuckingly retarded. And the gangbang begins again!

(player gets slowly flanked by an enemy and lets them wail on him) Thank god I killed one of the big guys! Thank god there's only two left. I JUST LOST FIFTY PERCENT HEALTH IN HALF A SECOND. (proceeds to fight with 20% health) OMG I JUST DIED WHAT JUST HAPPENED! THATS UNPOSSIBLE. I WENT FROM 70% LIFE TO NO LIFE IN LIKE A SECOND. How will I ever beat this game? (He won't) This is so dumb, so dumb.

This asshole with the shield is a pain in the ass. Right in the middle of me attacking he blocks my attack then counter attacks and gets massive (10%) damage! (player dies after letting enemy wail on him) I'm dead. This game sucks my dick.
Comedy gold.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
curry said:
Are you people fucking kidding me? Is KKKodex really going to make The Witcher 2 Codex's RPGOTY? I'm disappointed. :decline:

I think there shouldn't be any RPG of the Year this year, given how shitty choices we have.
2007: The Witcher
2008: The Witcher Enhanced Edition
2009: Dragon Age
2010: New Vegas
Seems par for the course to me, no better or worse. Same shit, different year.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I liked both The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings and Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but as they are NOT RPG-s i will not vote for them. Also, i will not vote for any dlc-s or games that are not out yet. So, here is my top of the year:

Two Worlds 2
Drakensang: The River of Time

Magnificent year, wasn't it?

attackfighter

Magister
Deus Ex 2
The Witcher 2
Oblivion 5

Can't remember any other RPGs being released...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom