Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Souls game ?

Best souls game ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Falksi

Arcane

Thrive on all of the Souls type games atmosphere, challenge & vibe, but fuck me you've got to be some type of supertard to enjoy the repetition created by having to kill the never-ending respawns over & over in most the games. For me it really drags things down.

So DS2's design choice to have a finite amount of respawns made it far less of a chore to play, and far more fun overall.

For me it also had the best gameplay out of all the series too, and I personally prefered the slightly lighter tone too.

Thought most of those games were a good 6 or 7/10. Would rate DS2 a 9 though, brilliant game.

Last edited:

Valtiel

Scholar
Hipster: Demon's Souls
Balanced: Dark Souls
"Here's why Bloodborne is inspired by the work of H.P. Lovecraft (disclaimer: i've never read Lovecraft)": Bloodborne
Edgelord: Dark Souls 2

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I would say Demon's Souls, but the spawn system sucks ass. Dark Souls was wholly better because of the more open-world feel. Only thing I absolutely hate is that spawn points are so far away from bosses sometimes. By the way, only an edgy autistic, cuck fuckwit would disagree with that. Try killing Kalameet on SL 5. Running to him gets fucking old fast.

PrettyDeadman

Demon's Souls was good, Bloodborne is also pretty good. The rest are extremely deriarative and shit. Except Dark Souls 2, which at least deserves some respect.

Suicidal

Arcane
Nioh for me.

If I have to choose from a list of games that mostly consist of killing monsters with pointy objects, I'll pick the one where the combat is the most fun and fleshed out.

Gremius

Augur
For me definitely Bloodborne for most pleasant gameplay and the grotesque tone and mood. Shame that PC didn't get port of this. I would want this one more that any Dark Souls game on computer.

Second one for me is Severance: Blade of Darkness, mostly for nostalgia.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Dark Souls 1 is the only one that really grabbed me. Played it for a total of 175 hours, loved it. Never could really get into Dark Souls 2, still played it for 62 hours, but it was over several attempted playthroughs. Could not get into the 'groove' or whatever. Shame! Dark Souls 3 I only played for 2 hours, never really gave it a chance. I also have Demon's Souls, IIRC I got pretty far into it, never finished it though, hopefully I'll go back to it one day.

SophosTheWise

Cipher
I really, really hated the Souls games. I hated the supposed repetition, the brutal difficulty, the clunkiness... The only thing I've always liked was the storytelling and lore which was fantastic. I then started up DS3 to confirm my hatred but then it happened - it clicked. And I binged the game in a week or two. I don't know exactly what clicked. But it somehow did. There are barely any games out there which can create a sense of adventuring the way the Souls game do it. I've completed DS3 and its DLCs and at the moment I'm playing DS2. Waiting for the remaster of DS1. Maybe I'll dive into DeS later.

What I liked about DS3's combat was its speed while still having the sense of absolute control as well as the variety of weapons. Just great.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The original is still the best, with a great atmosphere and level design, especially the Tower of Latria

tumblr_nz2yl75oPs1unxlj8o5_r1_500.png

tumblr_ob37slq7AY1tt3wuco1_500.gif

tumblr_mfnhviQNI51r7lz5wo1_500.gif

tumblr_mfnhviQNI51r7lz5wo2_500.gif

tumblr_m8nm76FkLN1qcjglso1_500.gif

Ee6NGcp.jpg

Soul of the mind, key to life's ether.
Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
So the world might be mended.

2house2fly

Magister
The only one I've played is Bloodborne but it felt kind of revelatory in ways few games are nowadays. Sort of a "this is something you can show people when they ask what about games is worthwhile" kind of feeling. I almost felt betrayed when it was datamined recently and it came out how much iteration and change there was during development. The game as it is genuinely feels like it was planned that way from the start.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom