Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Best Soundtracks in RPGs

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
Appropriate soundtrack is something that, I believe, can truly give another dimension to a gaming experience. Please share soundtracks that have impressed you or you have found in other ways remarkable. My personal nominations:

Gothic 1+2
Era-appropriate instruments and certain crudeness manage to manufacture a climate characterized by perfect unity with the gameplay, I'm sure you know what I mean.

I originally referred to Gothic soundtrack as irreplicable, but...

Mass Effect trilogy (but especially the first one)
Incredibly fitting for a Sci-Fi setting and a brilliant accompaniment to the story set-pieces.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
It's popular to shit on the Witcher here (I guess mostly due to how pathetic CDPR turned out), but IMO those games have the all-time best soundtracks, with quality music for all kinds of moods.
Surely this has been done once or twice before though. :M

Peachcurl

Cipher
It's popular to shit on the Witcher here (I guess mostly due to how pathetic CDPR turned out), but IMO those games have the all-time best soundtracks, with quality music for all kinds of moods.
Surely this has been done once or twice before though. :M

In the same vein, I have to say I enjoyed the Fallout 3 soundtrack. New Vegas was good as well.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Well gee... Fallout universally has the best ambient sound track ever made. Did you mean those parts of it used in New Vegas?

Planescape:

Ending credits theme:

Last edited:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
If we're talking about western RPG's then it's definitely Planescape Torment. This game has so many 9/10 tracks.

jackofshadows

Magister
I think most of top RPGs "coincidentally" have the best soundtracks. It would be more interesting to list some outstanding soundtracks from obscure/bad/considered bad by the Cotex RPGs. Or the other way around: search for underwhelming ones among top RPGs.

For instance, I think Morrowind ost is vastly overrated. Like sure, it's recognizable, which means nostalgia inducing but does it truly capture what makes the game outstanding (the game world and the lore)? Absolutely not.

Also, Divinity: OS. Don't get me wrong here, Kirill Pokrovsky clearly was a talented man but the simple truth is: a very nice ost in vacuum doesn't fit the game at all.

Now, example of an obscure gem (note it's for cyberpunk setting):

Another one:

I like it a lot because unlike most fantasy soundtracks it's mostly threatening and keeps you focused, making exploration of quite dangerous world more exciting. Well, that and the fact I fucking love minor tonalities and dissonance in music in general, so.

CP2077 gets a lot of flack here for various reasons so lets say it's considered bad overall so I'll say its ost is great. In particular this piece, as I understand, was written for the very first meeting/confrontation V with Johnny and is simply brilliant:

And the Alt theme, which for some reason (probably because it somewhat resonates with "the sacred and the profane" which is written for completely different game episode) isn't included in the official ost pack is also outstanding:

It incapsulates Alt's contradictory features perfectly. And her ominous presense.

Last edited:

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
I'm just here to make sure nobody posts the Fallout 4 OST considering I shit on it real good in another thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom