Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

best space sim for VR+HOTAS?

mkultra

Augur
Just got my HOTAS + rudder pedals so I've played some Rogue Squadron in VR, decent fun. Immersion is great, shitty Disney-feel to story etc though.

I have Elite (didn't install yet), No Man's Sky (i like it in VR, doesn't seem to support HOTAS though). I have X4 (also didn't try, doesnt seem to have VR apart from getting it through hacks).

Are there any good space sims with support for both VR and HOTAS apart from these?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
>>Post in 2022
>>A year when the only games are indie pixel art feelz bullshit or old games.
>>A year where people spent thousands of dollars on midrange graphics cards to play the latest mainstream turds from 2016
>>The few games that do exist, don't even have proper KEYBOARD controls.
>>Be surprised that hardware that was turbo-niche in the happy times of the 90's, when there were lots of games, doesn't have a plethora of new games with perfectly integrated 1st party support.
>>Somehow find a modern game, with all the old-skool goodness, perfect for VR faggotry, but decide to " not try it" because it involves some computer stuff :lol:

This is what happens when you let millennials into the Codex. I warned you.

I told you, build that wall. But nooooo.

mkultra

Augur
not sure what millennials you see on here, i turned 50 last month.

the few sentences i can understand i do agree with for the most part, there's not too much, that's why i'm asking, maybe i missed some indie.. there's a ton of flight sims but i'd also want at least one decent space sim and preferably with HOTAS and VR support, since yes, we play these games for immersion - and hotas, VR - does add to that. Some Mech game could be fun too, used to love playing Mechwarrior, from back when everyone owned a joystick..

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
I tend to exaggerate a bit.

There are very few PC games these days
Most of them are console ports
The ones that aren't, we are thankful if they support proper mouse+keyboard controls and don't glitch out every few minutes.
You name several but mention petty gripes - X4 being one. If I spent the money on that hardware I would play the SHIT out of X4. It seems built for this kind of thing. Hacking probably not needed, just remap the buttons/axes as needed either in game or through the software it comes with.

So, serious suggestions:

X4, or X3. Probably the best use seeing as they are complex, time-consuming games in their own right.
Elite: Dangerous. This one seems focused on the controls/VR but not much of a game behind it (from what I've heard)
Every flight simulator, I'm sure you thought of that.
Star Wars Squadrons (an actually GOOD Star Wars game, supposedly even better with HOTAS controls)
Star Citizen if it ever comes out :lol:

mkultra

Augur
Sims is a niche genre, it's not really meant for the mass market.. name a Playstation flight or space sim converted to PC with gamepad controlls.. that will be difficult and i doubt that game exists. while i agree that it applies to many games, sims aren't exactly that genre. Squadrons would be the closest of what you describe, but it actually has support for both HOTAS and VR.

X4 looks best so far i think, though for VR i'm not sure how well it works with the "hacks".

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I have Elite (didn't install yet), No Man's Sky (i like it in VR, doesn't seem to support HOTAS though). I have X4 (also didn't try, doesnt seem to have VR apart from getting it through hacks).

Those are not space sims.

You could try Reentry - An Orbital Simulator

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
name a Playstation flight or space sim converted to PC with gamepad controlls..

Literally all of them, PS games are designed for gamepads. But more recently:

Star Wars Squadrons.

It stinks of the console, but there's a good game underneath.

mkultra

Augur
FFS you are 50 years old, get some decent sims and stop whining about VR.

How am i whining? Simulators always had a history in being as immersive as possible, down to replicating the controllers of real planes. Later on real enthusiasts had 3 screens (expensive, cumbersome, takes up a lot of space) to get better immersion.

A headset takes up very little space, requires no cables so i can sit anywhere + its possible to experience realistic scale and realistic height/depth, realistic tracking of looking around - e.g looking closer to controls/buttons by leaning forward + tons of other things that makes it 100x times better than screen(s). I can tell you've never tried, it's really amazing and impossible go back to using screens.

It seems like all modern sims have VR, all that i've tried.. DCS world, microsoft flightsimulator, VTOL.. even some of the more action-oriented ones have it (elite, rogue squadron, star citizen).

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
Back when I was browsing through freespace 2 total conversion mods, I stumbled on an interesting one: dimensional eclipse, it's like an anime-space dog fighting game, though it's mission based.
I only played a couple missions due to the glaring problem of the story being interesting, but the dialogue wasn't voice acted, so I had to somehow figure out a way to read it, while fighting enemies at 300m/s.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
If you're looking for immersive VR + HOTAS space trucking, I don't think you'll find anything better than Elite. It feels fantastic in VR. Great example of the difference VR can make to the experience too, since it's very boring on its own merits.

mkultra

Augur
If you're looking for immersive VR + HOTAS space trucking, I don't think you'll find anything better than Elite. It feels fantastic in VR. Great example of the difference VR can make to the experience too, since it's very boring on its own merits.

yes, it seems good and i already have it so i must give it a go. from what i've read x4 does seem better, unfortunately no VR though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom