Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Gerrard

Arcane
Loading times were atrocious and all that shit, but at least CTDs never existed.
Is this nigga serious? Or are you being funny by saying there was no desktop to crash to?

pippin

Companies these days don't make demos because they say people who play demos don't end up buying the games. I wonder why.

Perkel

Arcane
Companies these days don't make demos because they say people who play demos don't end up buying the games. I wonder why.

Imo i think it is mainly because games are just too big for their own good. Shipping demo is like shipping game essentially and it eats into game dev.
Secondary game size balooned up where speed of internet doesn't keep up with those sizes. You won't download 20GB demo which you will play for 5 minutes.
Then there is pure idiocy when people release demos that contain literally like 20 minutes of gameplay that usually is some retarded scripted sequence.

Remember Thief demo ? It had full mission you could takle from multiple points and it ended on high note.
Remember Turok 2 demo. Huge starting level that usually took 50-1,5h to beat for first time player that had hidden secrets and again ended on high note just after you took shotgun with explosive shells and awesome trailer with weapons like Celebrar bore and other fun stuff.
Uplink for Half Life 1 wasn't even part of HL1 it was new loooong level that IMO was better than all of HL1

And this was almost standard for all games.

Gerrard

Arcane
If you can have Steam measure your game time for refund purposes why can't you have it measure your game time for demo purposes? Because then you might see the game is shit.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you haven't gone though the immense experience of connecting a cassette player to zx spectrum, waiting for the game to load for 15 minutes and just as its at 99%, wind blows from the window, caressing gently the wire, causing the loading to stop and having to wait for another 15 minutes to play the game.... you don't know shit.

You should listen to the Atari loading sounds.

Now that I think of it, I don't have problem while listening to harsh noise/industrial music. Thanks Atari!

Bonus:

tumblr_nzf5ztzgWe1s3vx9yo1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Crusader Kings is a lovingly hedonistic game. You haven't even found the incest/rape threads pondering on how these acts affect the succession and claims to titles.

My favourite tactic is sending all my sons and daughters to be "educated" by the pope, which makes him like me and allows me to "request" "gifts" of gold back.

Imo i think it is mainly because games are just too big for their own good. Shipping demo is like shipping game essentially and it eats into game dev.
Secondary game size balooned up where speed of internet doesn't keep up with those sizes. You won't download 20GB demo which you will play for 5 minutes.

On consoles at least you download the entire game, but after you play through the demo parts it asks if you want to unlock the rest, directing you to the store so you can buy a licence key.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.nodontdie.com/adam-gascoine/

But when it comes to shooters, why is it that the stories don't seem to change all that much from generation to generation or iteration to iteration? That's what I always hear and I can't say that with absolute authority, but I do know from a friend whose agency came very close to doing marketing on the new Call of Duty, that is the concern the company has, both that perception but also that reality: The games keep telling the same story over and over again for the same audience over and over again.

Okay, so, I think the reason is -- because I wrote, or originated the story for the first Black Ops. I didn't get credit for it, by the way. [Laughs.] Because I left the company before the game ships and that's just kind of how it works.

I didn't do any of the writing. There was a great guy called Craig Houston who wrote the script. But I came up with the story for it, and I realized the reason you can't really go more complex and why the same story keeps coming up is because the kind of person who buys a Call of Duty game has a very short attention span. And I know that's a stereotype, but it's also true. I mean, we just do.

Those people in general do not want to sit down and watch a 15- to 30-second cutscene. That's too long for them.

So what kind of story can you tell where they're firing an AK-47 while helos are flying in overhead and mortars are going off behind them and you've gotta hear some guy saying dialog about a deep, compelling character-driven story behind it? It just isn't going to work. You have to stop the action to tell that story.

That's why games like Last of Us work. You have to stop the camera. But the people who buy Call of Duty, they say they want a bigger story but they don't want to stop the action. So the development team looks at it and goes, "Hey, we just can't do that."

They have to think they want something different. We can't change their thoughts on it. But the truth is if we gave them something different, they would be upset with the game. They'd say, "Oh, it's so plodding. Oh, it's so slow. That cutscene took so long."

So, in the end, you just end up with a generic story of, you know, the hero guy who is basically double-crossed by someone on his team and he's out after this bad guy and he finds them and then realizes the bad guy isn't really the bad guy. There's a guy above him who happens to be part of his -- it's the same story.

It's a good thing I was sitting down here.

[Laughs.] It's exactly the same story over and over again because that's what the market wants. And that sounds awful. I sound like a marketing guy. But if you want something different, don't play Call of Duty and don't expect them to do something different.

Go play The Last of Us, a company that says, "This game is a narrative game. If you don't like it, don't play it."

But that perception of the audience is totally true, at least as far as your ability to say it so plainly. When I first got into freelance writing full-time, I did some work with Adult Swim, and the first thing we talked about was their audience. I asked, "Well, who do you feel your audience is?" And they said, "Well, it's pretty much what you think it is: insomniac stoners."

[Laughs.] Yes.

But I feel like these shooter games get picked on a lot, and sometimes they do sort of deserve it. I mean, the whole, "Press X to pay respects" thing [in Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare]?

[Laughs.] Oh my God, yes. That was the one I left over.

Can you tell me about ways that teams working on these shooters are trying to broaden the types of stories that are being told?

Well, if you're working with a company -- so, the last salary job I had was with Naughty Dog, where they make those kinds of games. They're not shooters. But if you're working at a company that encourages an interactive narrative, like, something deeper, then the field is open. But if you're working at a company like Treyarch or EA for the Medal of Honorgames or something like that, the field is not open because at the top line is always: Don't stop the player. You cannot stop the player.

So, invariably, when you're developing a story for one of those games, that's the governing narrative for your entire game. You're limited completely by that. Whereas, when you make The Last of Us or you make Uncharted or you make Mass Effect or you make Skyrim or any of those games, you can stop the player for as long as you want because the player has bought into that.

So when you're making decisions on Call of Duty about how you try and stretch the story out a little bit more, you just come up with "jump the shark" moments. Right? [Laughs.] Because that's all you've got. That's all you've got in your arsenal. I mean, honestly, we jumped the shark a little bit in Black Ops where the story was that the lead guy had been brainwashed and all of his actions that seemed to be benevolent you learn, "Oh my God, he's been brainwashed by this guy when he was in a Siberian gulag." It's ridiculous. But it's all you can do in all the time you have and it's Manchurian Candidate and it's a kind of fun thing to do. So there's not much else you can do.

But when you're working at somewhere like Naughty Dog, all of the decisions are based on what tells the story or what draws the player into the story. Not what makes them sit back in their chair and say, "Wow." It's what pulls them forward in their chair and brings them closer to the screen.

I remember this one meeting I had, and I think it was with Bruce Straley, who's one of the creative directors at Naughty Dog. And he told me something I'd never heard after 10 years or 11 years in the industry. He said, "Simple thing. Simple mechanic. Hey, when we start a cutscene, we want the player to start that cutscene by pressing a button. So when they go up to a door, and they'll open the door, let's have them press 'X,' and pressing 'X' starts the cutscene because it makes them feel in control of the world."

And now every time they approach a door they're gonna be thinking, "Okay, I might be getting a bit of story." In Call of Duty, that doesn't happen. You run through a gap you hit a trigger, and suddenly a cutscene happens. So you're detached from the story which we have to be because otherwise the judgmental crowd that play Call of Duty and Halo and those kinds of games are gonna be saying, "Oh God, here we go. I'm gonna run through this game and any minute now they're gonna take camera control. I want my gun back. I want my gun back."

So, it's very hard to make decisions on how you tell the narrative when you're doing Call of Duty. You just go for "bigger is better." The more explosions, the more outrageous the story, that's the only direction we can take. We have to take.

Athelas

Arcane
Imagine an JRPG made in this setting and in this artstyle.
That would require Japanese RPG's to actually utilize their Japanese history and heritage, something that the genre paradoxically seems incapable of (outside of the otaku stuff).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom