Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Astral Rag

Arcane
AEzW74J.png
I4r6J4k.png

rKjcEMk.png

XyHAe3L.png

FZHyHTS.png

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
"What would the best indie developers do with Star Citizen's $100 million?"

http://www.pcgamesn.com/star-citize...n-the-world-do-with-star-citizens-100-million

"Sim Death Star"
Cliff Harris, Positech Games - Democracy series
Donald%20Trump%20on%20Democracy%203.jpg

"100 million dollars? How about making 'Sim Death Star', where every single texture of the entire structure has been lovingly textured with 4K textures, and everything all of the stormtroopers on the station say has been voice acted.

"Failing that, I'd buy a huge area of de-forested rainforest and plant new trees in the outline of the Klingon empire logo, so it could only truly be recognised from space.

"Or I'd buy a full copy of Star Citizen."

"What I hoped Spore would be"
Gary Chambers, Introversion Software - Prison Architect
prison%20architect%20flash%20mob%20alskdn.png

"I have a whole lot of game ideas rattling around in my head and a lot of them tend to be a bit overly ambitious to work on solo. I also don't have much skill when it comes to art or sound production, so if I had that kind of money I'd probably hire a bunch of incredibly talented people to help me finish all the projects I've started over the years.

"The first project would be an idea I've had for a game about evolution, which would require you to survive as a species in an ever-changing environment. Something along the lines of what I hoped Spore would be, way back when."

"$100m isn’t very much money"
Ben Cousins, The Outsiders
ben%20cousins.jpg

"$100m isn’t very much money if we are talking about triple-A development. If you hope to recoup some money from the product then you’ll need to market it. Generally you’ll spend half your overall budget on marketing. So that leaves me with $50m. Assume a developer is $10,000 a month including all overheads like office space, insurance, internet, pension etc. $50m gives you 5000 man months, or a team averaging 138 people for three years.

"Bear in mind the team size for many types of triple-A games is generally in multiple hundreds of people and often take longer than three years - we are talking about a medium-sized project in the Uncharted range rather than a huge, multi-layered project in the CoD, Halo or Assassins Creed range. It’s certainly impossible to build something like an MMO or a multi-genre project with that budget, assuming triple-A production values. You need more money, less features, worse production values, or more time.

"So if I had this relatively modest budget, I’d make a relatively modest triple-A game. I’m a big fan of System Shock 2 and I feel like that type of game has been lost - nobody is doing it in triple-A and the indie games that try don’t have the production values I’d like. So a nice contained 20-hour story-driven single-player horror/sci-fi first-person RPG in the System Shock vein!"

"Create a massive open-world surreal sci-fi fantasy"
Simon Roth, Machine Studios - Maia
maia_0.jpg

"If I had the money I would create a massive open world surreal sci-fi fantasy single player game focused on exploration. With scale and awe akin to that of Morrowind, and the beautiful insanity of Zeno Clash.

"The aesthetic would be that of a 1970's science fiction book and album covers, with a over saturated airbrushed feel. Think Chris Foss or Jim Burns. I would throw 80 million at designing the world down to the finest details, every character animated down to their smallest mannerisms, every rock and pebble a piece of artistry. I'd then use another few million to get Brian Eno to make an intense ambient soundscape for the project.

"With the remaining funds, I'd buy a lot of puppies, feed all the starving indies and purchase a Challenger 2 battle tank."

They asked this to not-so-indie developers also:

"I know the exact VR eco-sim I'd want to make"
Harvey Smith, Arkane Studios - Dishonored
dishonored%202_0.jpg

"I wish the Star Citizen team the best of luck as they try to bring their creation to life. If I had $100m to make my dream game, I know the exact VR eco-sim I'd want to make. I can see it in my head, feel the wind on my face, trace the falling stars in the air with one finger."

"I'd probably blow $100m remaking Tie Fighter"
Shams Jorjani, Paradox - Stellaris
stellaris.jpg

"I'd do ten different CK, EU, HOI, Stellaris, Victoria and Cities Skylines-style games in new weird settings. For the remaining $70m I'd make cool remakes of strategy, action, RPG, management and simulation from the '90s.

"Who am I kidding - I'd probably blow $100M remaking Tie Fighter with mod support."

Another Paradox employee had… different priorities.

"Keep the remaining 50 million for a yacht"
Johan Andersson, Paradox - Stellaris
stellaris%202.jpg

"I would not be able to make a game with a 100 million budget. I am not entirely sure I could make one on 10 million either.

"But if people gave me 100 million for a game, I'd make a damn polished and bug-free 5 million one, and then continue to support and update it for a decade. And keep the remaining 50 million for a yacht and a mansion."[/quiote]

Renegen

Arcane
Great answer by Paradox, with $100 million comes the need to water everything down and you certainly don't want to burn money, Johan can't even envisage a game for $10 million. While the guy from "The Outsiders" thinks even that is not enough for his greed, shows where the real talent is.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Great answer by Paradox, with $100 million comes the need to water everything down and you certainly don't want to burn money, Johan can't even envisage a game for $10 million. While the guy from "The Outsiders" thinks even that is not enough for his greed, shows where the real talent is.
To me it sounds more like Johan recognizes he doesn't have the management skills to handle a game so big it needs a 100 mill budget, rather than not being able to imagine a big enough game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom