Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Baphomet

Scholar
Oblivion is fun to play (there, I said it!) but at best I would relegate it to "brown, RPG-like substance." The decision making seems to be what order you would like to experience the game content, as opposed to how you would like to solve various problems in the game world.

Vipera

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Another proof that Oblivion is an RPG:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=590389

Today I went to the video store to rent a game, the selection was limited so I picked up Oblivion IV. Now I have never played an RPG before, and you will usually find me playing first person shooters or other similar action games.

All I can say is I cant believe how addictive this game is, and im not usually interested in RPG's.
The combat is fun and the story is interesting, its good fun to build a character and find new armour and weapons. It can be jumpy at times but I guess thats the trade off for having large enviroments.

I have been playing for the last 4 hours solid and all of a sudden its time to sleep, but this game is immense fun. I know the game got good reviews but I have never tried it before because I didnt think it would interest me. I have to return the game tomorrow so now I need to go out and buy it because im so impressed.

A little late I know but im hooked now.

It may just be the real-time combat that got him.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
If you are playing a game and someone looking over your shoulder says: "Why don't you just do such and such." And your answer to him is, "No, my character would not do that." You are roleplaying. smile.gif

"Hey, isn't that Far Cry? Why aren't you killing doods?"
"My character is a hippie and loves trees. He would not upset them by firing big, nasty, loud guns near them."

ZOMG RPG

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
I liked Morrowind because of its FP perspective. It did placate the FPS fan in me. However, I'd played a ton of jRPGs, the Diablos, BG1&2, so I was also hooked on the RPG tidbits as well. It all set me up for my true cRPG enlightenment. Maybe Oblivion will actually lead others down a similar path. Even if these guys aren't truly getting the idea of RP'ing, at least they are getting closer to the real deal and giving their imaginations a little warm up.

Data4

Arcane
Perspective does not define what the game is. In fact, I like first person for it's OMG! immmersiveness. I mean, if the developer is going to take the time to make pretty graphics, seeing them in perspective isn't so bad. I wish NWN2 had a FP camera for traveling, since the graphics would support it. Plus, it would make the small areas seem bigger.

-D4

ixg

Erudite
I've never liked 1st person all that much. I just can't get used to not having peripheral vision :x

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Then how do you live everyday ? :P Aint you stuck in FPS mode?

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
Someone post the smiley that pulls out the glock, puts it in his mouth, and pulls the trigger, splattering blood and brains all over a white wall.

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
ixg said:
Yes, but I have peripheral vision, and i can see my feet :D

Actually it seems that a lot more FPS games are bringing back the whole "seeing shoulders, legs, and feet" thing. It really doesn't help much though. The only thing that is helpful in real life about seeing your feet or the ground is to help maintain balance. In a game you don't really have that issue.

And as for peripheral vision, well the obvious problem is making inexpensive screens that wrap around the sides of your head. I just don't see that happening. Besides, those crazy spinning people in most online shooters seem to make up for the lack of peripheral vision just fine.

Although I would say some of the best setups have been the over-the-shoulder views in games like Resident Evil 4 that also allow you to zoom. Once you get the hang of it, you find that you've got both a good aim, sense of placement, and a semi-peripheral view. Plus the whole "I can see my cool character" thing is a nice vanity touch for some.

Admiral jimbob said:
I still think this RP series is the most stunningly brilliant thing on those forums.

Eine
Zwei
Three

Those threads are fucking comedy gold. My favorite dialogue from the first thread:

Sij'rath said "Shure i must find the tear before the orcs or all hope is lost"

"Sure..ill help a handsome fellow like yourself out." she said. "WHats your name?' she asked. "I am karina.."

"My name is Sij'Rath champion and the emperors right hand nice to meet you Karina" Sij'rath said

"Well im a thief [and a whore]...plain and simple. You might have to arrest me...but i dont think so. You might need my skills." she said smiling.

"Yes but dont try stealing the tear you wont get much for it" said sij'rath smileing back

"Oh i wont steal it or anything...i might get a better reward for helping.." she said running her finger up his chest. Making a simple suggestion of what it could be..and what he would get.

"Sure" he said smiling.and put his hand on her back. He found her rather attractive and wanted to know more of what she hinted at...

She felt his hand on her back. A good sign. Her tail rubbed up against his. Showing alittle more of what she was hinting at. If she could get his trust through this..she would be less suspect if the tear went....missing. "Well..when do we leave?' she asked.
ooc: Im off...also it might be due to timezones why it move slow.

[some other dingbat than replies] OOC: my character has been in the shadows he'll apear to you, when you want.

BLUE-BALLED & COCK-BLOCKED! He spends another post or two trying to coax a reply out of her, to no avail. I also love the second page of that first thread, where those dorks spend virtually the entire page greeting one another. Maybe Oblivion's Radiant A.I wasn't so far off after all.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
Name: Harieth Kant
Race: Breton
Class: '94
Armor: YES PLEASE :)))))!!
Appearance: Chainlink Bikini, Long Blond Hair, Piercing Blue Eyes, Chainmail Scarf, Bald Head.
Weapons: DEADLY!

Story: Having lived on a farm her whole life, she decide it's time to leave, to travel, to see the world. Her brother disagrees, and eventually convinces her that the world isn't all that special, and that a safe long life on the farm is all she'll ever need. Few days later, a rockslide kills her brother, and a boulder lands on her legs, trapping her. As she lay dying, a freak lightning bolt struck the farmhouse, and burnt it to the ground, killing all the animals and her only child. In her final moments, she realised she had wasted her life, having accomplished nothing of any actual significance.

Your adventure begins!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom