Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
some possible insight on bioware Gayder and race:
His actual post:
Completely fair. I'm not saying you *should* feel that way, but obviously some do... and it'd be pretty presumptuous of someone who's already part of a group that is well-represented to say they shouldn't. In this particular case, a culture which is predominantly black is already part of Thedas... so it's hardly beyond the pale to ask that we see more representatives of that culture, or that they be slightly more conspicuous than "tan" (which, as we've said, was a limitation of the engine).

Sounds more like an ~effort~ problem than engine, but that's how it is. Some engines are able to do certain things with less effort than others.

Editin': And from two years ago: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/4439470&lf=8
There are indeed black people in Thedas-- the Rivaini have skin tones ranging from dark tan to ebony. You'll find them scattered in various places. As to whether or not we would ever have a party member who was Rivaini, we'll see. I don't think we would include it just for the sake of including it. As a character concept, representation of a real-world ethnic group is pretty weak if that's all it is.

Erzherzog

Magister
some possible insight on bioware Gayder and race:
His actual post:
Completely fair. I'm not saying you *should* feel that way, but obviously some do... and it'd be pretty presumptuous of someone who's already part of a group that is well-represented to say they shouldn't. In this particular case, a culture which is predominantly black is already part of Thedas... so it's hardly beyond the pale to ask that we see more representatives of that culture, or that they be slightly more conspicuous than "tan" (which, as we've said, was a limitation of the engine).

Sounds more like an ~effort~ problem than engine, but that's how it is. Some engines are able to do certain things with less effort than others.

Editin': And from two years ago: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/4439470&lf=8
There are indeed black people in Thedas-- the Rivaini have skin tones ranging from dark tan to ebony. You'll find them scattered in various places. As to whether or not we would ever have a party member who was Rivaini, we'll see. I don't think we would include it just for the sake of including it. As a character concept, representation of a real-world ethnic group is pretty weak if that's all it is.

It annoys me that nowadays, such and such's fantasy world HAS to include real world minorities. Really defeats the purpose of having an exotic, unknown world that stimulates the curiosity in your mind, which is the point of fantasy in the first place.

Then again Dragon Age has been called out a bunch of times for misunderstanding the concept of 'fantasy.'

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Funny how those exotic, unknown worlds that are designed to stimulate the curiosity in your might almost invariably involve exclusively white people.

Mind you, I don't really care, I just find your line of reasoning funny.

I mean, Mario is generally considered the most popular video game character ever created, but he isn't nearly as sexualized or obsessed over as Sonic

Dude.

He's a fat Italian plumber. The fuck you think?

Sonic is some alien creature that barely resembles an Earth animal who hangs out with a fox kid half his age. Mario is human and hetero. That should be...

oh

Phelot

Arcane
I not only want to have sex with Mario, I want to have sex with Mario while I am Mario.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
InfiniteHoffCrotch.gif

Angthoron

Arcane
ziloe wrote...

Lennard Testarossa wrote...

Orian Tabris wrote...
I'd just like to point out, that Isabela is black.

Nonsense. She's rather dark skinned, but her facial features are not black at all.

Now this I can agree with. That's why I always thought maybe spanish, or something else. I,e tanned.

I'd agree with both your posts, but Gaider already stated she's black.
As is Duncan.
Apparently.

Edit: Then again, I also always thought Antiva was the equivalent for Spain... But a lot of people say it's Italy.
blushing.png

Oh, so BioWare proliferates the "hypersexual black woman" trope that supposedly died about a century ago? Good on them! Not enough burnt cork in their fantastic engine though.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
know your audience, microsoft windows 8 pro nippon special edition:

E4wHp.png

lza8d.png

includes touchpad mouse hybrid, manga wallpapers and voiceovers with the depicted characters...

visions

Arcane
It annoys me that nowadays, such and such's fantasy world HAS to include real world minorities. Really defeats the purpose of having an exotic, unknown world that stimulates the curiosity in your mind, which is the point of fantasy in the first place.

Then again Dragon Age has been called out a bunch of times for misunderstanding the concept of 'fantasy.'

might.JPG

I like how MM6 included the minorities. They're black and savages so it's two birds with one stone.

DraQ

Arcane
This really took me by surprise. Just bought a new Naga 2012 mouse, installed the software and get greeted by a login screen right after. No option to bypass it to use the software to configure the mouse, set the options, sensitivity, shortcuts, macros etc.

So I go ahead and create an account and try to login. Nothing. Try several more times, and nothing. Try to make new accounts with different emails addresses and it still wont work. Finally call Razer who tells me the activation server is down, and I wont be able to use the mouse until it goes back up and will only be able to use it as a standard mouse til then. I ask about a workaround to use the mouse offline and they say there is none. Supposedly once its activated on the computer offline mode will work, but it needs to upload my profile first and since their server is down its not going to happen. I ask for a supervisor to confirm this is the case and ask again for a workaround to use it offline. He said sorry theres nothing they can do, tells me the call center is closing and hangs up on me.

Im pretty shocked Razer thought it was a good idea to do this to customers. Nowhere on the box does it say anything about needing an internet connection to "activate" a mouse. If the servers go down in the future, anyone who buys this mouse is out of luck.

Honestly the last time I buy a Razer product. Absolutely ridiculous.
:what:
Wait, what.
:retarded:
What!
What...

Funny how those exotic, unknown worlds that are designed to stimulate the curiosity in your might almost invariably involve exclusively white people.

Mind you, I don't really care, I just find your line of reasoning funny.
Actually, it's completely correct.

You shouldn't be expected to have to include token minority into your fiction for its own sake.

If your fantasy conworld, or at least it's relevant part is some sort of frozen, polar region, and there are humans in it, there shouldn't be any black dudes there, unless they have a damn good reason to be there.
Black people are physiologically adapted to filtering out a lot of UV striking their skin, have lean build, don't retain much heat, and breathe efficiently at the expense of being able to heat inhaled air properly - they are well suited to warm climate, but poorly suited to polar regions.
They don't just appear in polar regions and in fantasy world you usually can't just book a flight there.

If you make such a world inhabited in significant proportion by black people, I expect them being there to be an actual plot point if I'm not to dismiss your writing as garbage.

Actually that's one thing I liked about Skyrim - Bethesda put some effort explaining substatinal proportion of non-Nords in Nords' home province. Most of the minorities have explicit reasons to be where they are and do what they do.

Of course, making fantasy you don't have to adhere to any particular historical setting, especially Occident. You can do all kinds of stuff, inversions and whatnot, as long as you stay convincing.
I wasn't in the least bit butthurt about Le Guin marginalizing white dudes as mostly culturally backwards barbarians in her Earthsea. I quite enjoyed it in fact.
At the very least far more than Tolkien. I probably wouldn't enjoy it at all if the author had to fill some white and yellow people quota, or ensure that all races and cultures are treated fairly on the pages of her novels.

Hell, it's fantasy, you can go all crazy and include species that aren't even humanoid. But you'd better make sure your setting makes sense.

P.S.
The same applies to cultural norms.
Man, do I hate politcorrectardry invading my fantasy.
:x

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DraQ

I wasn't criticizing the lack of inclusion of different races in your standard fantasy narrative, just the when the lack is defended by saying "it's fantasy, not reality, waaah". I am not proponent of putting a set quota of non Caucasians into stories just so they feel more inclusive, that is obviously bullshit, but it is interesting that this defense is inevitably used to defend to most cookie cutter settings from criticism. You want to write about white people riding on horses and killing stuff - great, just own up to it or offer some explanation (like your geographical one) instead of hiding behind the fantasy moniker like a kid.

PS You can't win anyway - if you write about other races you are either going to be accused of cultural appropriation, of writing them as white people or using them as dangerous savages/yellow peril/whatever. Muhaha.

DraQ

Arcane
DraQ

I wasn't criticizing the lack of inclusion of different races in your standard fantasy narrative, just the when the lack is defended by saying "it's fantasy, not reality, waaah". I am not proponent of putting a set quota of non Caucasians into stories just so they feel more inclusive, that is obviously bullshit, but it is interesting that this defense is inevitably used to defend to most cookie cutter settings from criticism. You want to write about white people riding on horses and killing stuff - great, just own up to it or offer some explanation (like your geographical one) instead of hiding behind the fantasy moniker like a kid.
Not that I'd ever want to defend DA's original-do-not-steal setting or any crap like it, but geographical explanation pretty much holds by default in fantasy.

Without widely spread advanced technology (or widely available advanced magic) you simply don't have means to mix many different ethnic groups over a large area.
You may have a bit of a melting pot in largest trade centres *IF* setting allows for it, but there will be pretty much homogeneous population(s) in all other locations unless some justification exists (actually that's one of the reasons why retconning Imperials into TES was a good thing).

PS You can't win anyway - if you write about other races you are either going to be accused of cultural appropriation, of writing them as white people or using them as dangerous savages/yellow peril/whatever. Muhaha.
That's why it's better to create your fictional cultures and civilizations, only borrowing stuff. Of course, that's more difficult, especially given how easy it is for such thing to go completely derp.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom