Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

Be right back, sending angry letters to MCA demanding to change Fall From Graces dialogue because she rejects the characters love interest.

IT'S A GAME, AN ESCAPE

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
ZrXlV.png

Brinko

Arcane
Microsoft Logic: Let's restart and pretend everything is OK.
iB1tR.jpg

Knocking it out of the park once again Ballmer

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
In that sequelitis video cartoon egoraptor punchs cartoon bitch in DA FACE, so that probaly led to feminazi anger.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

circ

Arcane

Be right back, sending angry letters to MCA demanding to change Fall From Graces dialogue because she rejects the characters love interest.

IT'S A GAME, AN ESCAPE
What's worse is that this fucking retarded individual has no clue about middle-eastern history or that islam has nothing to do with what she or he just described. This is like me seeing pro-american-patriot subtexts in CSI NY. Oh wait.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
THINK ABOUT IT FOR THE MOMENT. THE CODEX STANDS FOR THE INCLINE. AND THE CODEX IS ALSO COOL. THE CODEX IS THE EPITOME OF COOLNESS.
DEAR FRIENDS, THINK A MOMENT. THINK A MOMENTS AND THINK.
THAT'S VERY IMPORTANT.

WOULDN'T THE DECLINE HAVE ITS SOURCE IN UNCOOLNESS? THINK ABVOUT IT, FRIENDS.
WHAT IS THE MOST UNCOOL THING ON THE EARTH?
RIGHT, WE KNOW WHAT.
NUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRDSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
NURDS ARE UNCOOL· AND BY BEING UNCOOOL, WOULDN'T THEY WANT TO DESTROY. WHAT IS COOL, WHAST THE CODEX STANDS FOR.
NURDS, WANTING TO ESCAPE THIS WORLD AND LIVE IN ANOTHER WORLDS.
BECAUSE ONLY A NURRRRRRRRRRRRRRD WITH HIS HORRIBLE LACK OF TASYTE, HIS HORRIBLE UNCOOOLNESESS WOULD WANT TO LIVE IN AWORRLD WITH SARMOTR WITH GIANT SHOULDERPADS.
THINK ABOUT IT. THEY ARE THE ONSE THAT WANT TO LIVE IN OBLIVION, THE NURDS THRE BIOWARWE ROMANDCES
DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW?
THEY WERE DOING IYT ALL THE TIME.
THE NURDS!!!!!
WANTING TO ESCAPE THWE LIFE OF ETERNAL HUMILIATION.
THE ROMANCE,S, THE POWER FANTASIES.
DO YOU WANT TO BE A DRAGOONS?

LOOK AT THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!111
THINK ABOUT THE NURDS, WATCHING STAR WARS, STAR TREK, THINK ABOUT THEM. SO UNCOOL. SO WEIRD THE FAT MAN,
rsz_227972_980.jpg

toddhoward.jpg

SEE HOW UNCOOL THEY ARE? SEE HOW UNCOOL THEY ARE?

DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW? THE TUNNEL SNAKES, THE FAT MAN.
DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW?
IT WAS THEM ALL THE TIME, IT WAS NURDS,

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
BRO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO :2/5: WOULD NOT BRO

Yeah, grow up. Seriously, why can't this community be more like RPS's degree of optimism?

An Open Letter to the Disenfranchised

Dear Everyone,

Gaming is a funny old thing. Who would have honestly thought, that in the years of the on-going development of our cherished hobby; in the twists and turns it has taken, (and us with it, along for the ride) that gaming would be as big as it is now. As the area has grown and developed, so have we - what was once just seemed to be me and a mate playing SWOS on the PC, while the 'proper' kids played 'real' football in 'real' parks, has exploded into a mass of gaming culture, a collective spanning the continents. People who love games and are proud to admit it. Where once was a thing that was taboo to speak of, and hard to explain to non-believers; it now sits, proudly but also uncomfortably alongside other media. An awkward younger child that has bags of potential and wants to impress the older siblings but just can seem to find the right way. Sometimes, to get attention, it hits itself in the face.

As industries bloom, so do the people. The money-people. The agents and investors. PR and Press. Some people who are not necessarily interested in the love of the 'game' but in the gain. This happens to all successful things and we forget sometimes that some good has come from it. Growth and money and acceptance. But we're worried. At least, we seem worried. There is a lot of negativity. Frustration at AAA repeat titles and DLC Marketing and lack of innovation. Reports about why gaming is bad; why it's changed. Some may argue that the move to the big leagues has meant what used to be 'our' thing is now 'their' thing. Controlled by them. I'm not even sure who 'they' are any more, but 'they' certainly seem sinister. Pronouns are. In fact, everything seems more sinister now, doesn't it? I used to feel like I was playing in a world built for me, owned by me, and run by me. Now I feel like I'm squatting in a identikit bedsit with a billion other people, and it's my turn to wash the dishes, and I'm not allowed to use my own hands.

Lets stop for a moment and breathe. Let's remember something. We all need to remember it. I need to remember it.

Why do we play games?

There a an infinite number of reasons: Immersion, fantasy, game-play. To feel like a winner. To excel at something. To simulate that which we could never likely experience in real life. To stomp mushroom-people. For the thrill. Because it's exciting, colourful and dark all at the same time, uplifting and terrifying. The emotions of experiencing something incredible from the safety of an office chair (or futon, whatever you like). Some play for love, to create, to breathe life into world. Some play to destroy, to remake, to de-construct. Gaming gives us access to all these things, to allow all these things for all us wildly different people, with our hard-to-define needs and wants. It does this, for us.

Why do we play games?

Because games are good.

Don't get me wrong; criticism is important for development, and negative stories need to be discussed, argued over and debated. Of that I am certain. But first we have to remember why we want to defend gaming in first place.

Let's gather here, at this, our temple of Gaming, as the collective of enthusiasts we know we really are. Just for a minute, or as long as you can, let us forget.

• Let's forget about endless remakes. Remakes don't de-make your favourite game. Remakes can be ignored and sometimes they can even be good.

• Let's forget about large face corporations making numb dross. We've got a thriving, desperately creative independent scene and ready access to their wares. We've got an industry that caters to the mass and caters to the niche as well.

• Let's forget about that PR guy who said your favourite genre was dead. We've got Kickstarter and Crowdsourcing and Unity.

• Let's forget about day-one DLC and poor endings to Mass Effect 3. We've got a billion other games to play on our backloggery because of the Steam sale and the other 99% of Mass Effect 3 that was pretty damn amazing.

• Let's forget about media corruption and impartial reviews. We have WiT's and the forums. We have an unlimited stream of blogs. We have entertaining RPS features, long-plays and opinion pieces. We have the games themselves, and we have our own eyes and minds to decide what we believe.

• Let's forget about what an crpg is and what isn't one. Genres aren't important. Let's break down the barriers and be inclusive, not exclusive. I'm sorry Wizardry.

• Let's forget about EULA's and 3D and the next important bit of technology that you simply must have. We've already had it. Forget AAA. It's all just batteries to me.

• Let's forget about Facebook marketing campaigns and Special limited editions. Let's remember it's exciting to want something, and to look forward to getting your hands on a brand new game you've been waiting for over a year to play. Remember the passion.

• Let's forget about Doom 3 BFG Edition. Seriously, just forget about that. Pretend it never happened.

Instead, remember that no matter what, Gaming belongs to us. It is ours, and we love it. For all the good and in spite of the bad. Ignore the spin; The people telling you what to like, and how to like it. Play what you own, and own what you play. Remember that gaming is the thing that brings us here, and we are bound by it, together. We all love games, and we control games. We have the controllers, and we're all player one.

Thanks for reading,

Deeky.​

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom